Play del Carmen-hotels and airport transfers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2004, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of heading to PDC on a last minute trip in a couple of weeks. Normally I book trips to Mexico with Apple or FunJet but all of their hotels in PDC are all inclusive and we prefer to eat at the wonderful restaurants in the PDC area.

So if we don't get the airport transfer from Apple, what is the best way to get from the airport to PDC? Would we take a cab or is there an airport bus or colectivo that we could catch?

Second question, I'm looking at either Playa Maya or Hotel Riveria Carib Maya but am leaning towards Playa Maya because it looks like the other is a bit far. We stayed at the Gran Porto Real last time, is it much further past that hotel? There was also construction going on next door to Gran Porto Real, is that finished?

The best rate I'm finding for Playa Maya is $300 for 4 nights for a standard room on their website, is there another website that might have cheaper rates?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 04:15 PM

Hi,

It is very easy to walk out of the airport and negotiate for a cab or a van to take you to PDC. It's usually about $40 to $50.

I would recommend Playa Maya. I have stayed there twice and really enjoyed it very much.

It is safe, clean and very close to everything in addition to having a wonderful staff and being on a nice stretch of beach.

I also feel that it is a good value for a beachfront location.

The rate you have quoted is a good one, and I have not seen a site that would give you a better rate for that property.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 06:46 PM

The Riviera bus runs from the Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen almost hourly. Cost is about US$7.00 per person one way. Nice buses, air conditioned, clean. The bus doesn't stop anywhere along the way. Jean
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 09:58 AM

Agree with JeanH about the Riviera Bus, except that I believe it does make a couple of stops for about 30 seconds each, one in Puerto Morelos at the light and one coming into town in Playa, if I'm not mistaken. Unless you're coming in at a strange hour or something, it's a very good deal.

Not sure about the location question because I don't know what perspective you're talking from when you say something is farther than something else. The Gran Porto Real is on Constituyentes, which is the equivalent of 18th street, and Playa Maya is very near 8th street. So in Playa's system of numbering by twos, The GPR is 5 blocks north of PM.

What else... Yes, there is still construction going on across the street from the GPR and looks like there will be for a few months to come, still, as the Real Group is finishing the Royal Porto Real there... Ah, and you would only find cheaper rates for PM if an agent is offering it's own special for some reason (this would be quite unusual in my experience but always technically possible).

Hope this helps!

Steve
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:43 PM

I always use the Riviera bus from CUN to Playa. Sometimes, if you ask someone at the airport about it, they will try to tell you it doesn't exist so they can steer you to the vans. When you leave the international arrivals area, just turn to your right and keep walking past the front of the departures terminal---you will see the Riviera buses just past the terminals. You can pay at the bus. (in case you use a charter operator and arrive at the charter terminal, there is a free airport operated shuttle to take you to the main terminal)
Ryberg is correct about stops--only I can recall only a brief Puerto Morelos stop if they have passengers going there.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and the detailed information! I assume the Riveria bus stops at the central bus station in PDC?

Actually it was the Riveria Carib Maya that looked far not the Playa Maya, by that I meant farther from the restaurants, buses, ferry terminal, etc. I got a map of the area and can now see where it is in relation to the Gran Porto Real where we stayed last time.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:48 AM

Yes, the Riviera buses go to the old central station in Playa and not the new ADO station which is more distant from the center.