Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

How much (American dollars) will a 5 star restaurant meal cost in Buenos Aires?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We usually can not afford to eat at 4 or 5 star restaurants here in the USA. Though I understand that in Buenos Aires (were going in November), is super cheap. How much will a meal (no wine) cost at a 4 or 5 star restaurant cost in Buenos Aires?
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:10 AM

My wife and I were in Buenos Aires last November (2003). We ate at Cabanas de las Lilas in Puerto Madero which is widely considered the best restaurant in BA (though there are many excellent choices) and the total bill including tax and tip was $65.00 US. This included two steak dinners (your choice of cuts), two sides (everything is a la carte), two salads (only order one since each is big enough for two), two desserts, two glasses of wine, a Sprite and the appetizer tray (automatically delivered to your table). Prepare yourself for a long leisurely wonderful meal.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

I am a early to bed person. By 9:00 pm I can not keep my eyes open. I understand that most people in Buenos Aires do not start dinner until 10:00 pm.

Are any fancy restaurants open for lunch?
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:45 AM

Most restaurants are open for lunch as well as dinner. At lunch there are often fixed price specials, including three courses and drinks. In the better restaurants the cost will be about 50pesos (Roughly 18 dollars) per person for a fixed price lunch.....You can eat for far less, but you asked about 4/5star locations...
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 01:18 PM

My husband and I had a very nice meal, with drinks at Novocento, they also have a branch in Soho in New York...the bill was an astonishing $37 US!

The food was excellent and I highly recommend it.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Many restaurants open at 7 or 8 pm. We dislike eating after 9 pm so quickly decided if there was particular restaurant we wished to try and it did not open until late, then lunch it was! We spent about 100 pesos at most top places-this amount included a bottle of Valmont red or similar. Many cheap restaurants offer fine food. La Bisteca in Palermo was magic (Lunch US20 for two with a bottle of Latitude 33 Chardonnay), 1880 Parilla was around pesos 100 (US33)for an exquisite lunch with a bottle of good wine. Our idea of a perfect lunch or dinner at a Parilla is a small starter i.e. grilled chorizo sausage & salad, followed by a beef de lomo (tenderloin steak) and mashed potato (mouthwatering) then usually desert outside at a gelato or icecream shop. This kind of meal sets you back around 25 pesos pp US 9 plus drinks. Argentina is a bargain for fabulous food!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Why does everyone assume that people will drink wine with their meal? Most people do not like alcohol!

What would be the cost of a full meal without booze?
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 05:11 AM

The prices I quoted earlier app. 50 pesos for a 3 course meal including drinks......drinks can include a coke, water with or without carbonation, coffee or tea or a glass of wine. The price is the same.

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 05:29 AM

Most people do not like alcohol!

Where are you from? I think that statement should read Most people do like alcohol. Eveybody mention wine cause it is very customary in Argentina to have meals with wine.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 02:07 PM

Heh, miguel-I agree with you! But then I'm not sure anyone can speak "for most people"!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 07:41 PM

Not all people in Argentina like wine.There are people who do and others who dont. As with everything everywhere. But sth is true, everybody likes Argentine's food, locals find it the best in the world, we miss the food more than anything else when travelling. It has as Bs As has, a bit of all europe's taste but roasted here.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:59 AM

Three points:

1. First, a factoid. As Argentina has focused more on the production of export-quality wines internal consumption has declined. In 1980 the average Argentine drank 20 gallons of wine per year....by 2000 consumption had dropped to 10 gallons. It is still incaccurate to say "most people don't like alcohol," but consumption is falling in Argentina...

2. The original post asked how much a dinner would cost at a nice restaurant, later refined to lunch at a nice restaurant? The poster seemed frustrated that people quoted prices with wine and wanted to know how much less a meal would be without wine? The simple answer is, not much if any less.

For fixed price lunches often there is no difference....
I pay 19 pesos for a three course meal with drink at a good restaurant downtown....I can choose a diet coke, bottled water or wine with my meal. Same price. If one orders ala carte the price of a meal with a glass of house wine is not much different than the same meal with a coke.

3. Most importantly, many people tried to answer the original poster's question in a thoughtful and complete manner. The response was a bit testy and challenging....A better response might have been....Thank you all for the information...it is very helpful , but since we don't drink alcohol..how much less can we expect to spend for a meal?

Old Oct 30th, 2004, 12:49 AM

Guess the original poster didn't want to associate with all us winebibbers....oh well, Salud!
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Food without wine.........not really a meal. In Argentina the wine is so good, and reasonably priced.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 11:09 AM

Was in BA in Sept and it was out second trip in the last 12 months..You do get "sticker shock in reverse" because prices are so reasonable in US dollars..Even at the best restaurants and we hit more than a few the prices at dinner never ramn more than 100-130 pesos for 2.And great food..Had some great Italian meals too although I still think about the Lomo(filet mignon) Never had a bad one...
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Wine is fine if you are not a alcoholic like my husband! His doctor said to stay away from booze.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 12:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<Most people do not like alcohol!>

This simply is not true. Especially when they are treating themselves to a 4 or 5 star dinner.

Regarding costs, in many locations bottled water or soda is similar in price to 'house' wines. So not ordering wine will not necessarily make the meal less expensive.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 12:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
travdis, Don't misunderstand, I don't think any of us was recommending that an alcoholic should drink wine.

But as already mentioned, no wine will not significantly lower the cost of a nice meal.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:33 PM

My sister is an alcoholic and refuses to come out for dinner with us as she is tempted to drink! I sympathise travdis, so best if you go to some places like Restaurant Naturalista (cnr Lavalle & Supaicha-the best vegetarian food in BA, imho). Your husband will not be tempted as they do not have alcohol there. Good luck.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:21 AM

Travdis,

Calm down... There's no need to lose your temper.

Good wine and steaks are to Argentina what chocolate is to Belgium and Switzerland.

Enjoying a glass of wine in Argentina is part of the cultural experience of travelling - not about drinking alcohol.

Wine in Argentina is minimal cost. So it will not greatly affect your dinner tab. Unlike in America, where a bottle of wine can easily account for over half of the total dinner bill!

If you do choose to go to Argentina, I hope you learn to relax before you go and don't segregate people and restaurants into Drinkers and Non-Drinkers.

And try not to lose your temper so much... RELAX and enjoy your holiday.