Do you need restaurant advice in Buenos Aires?

Jan 28th, 2007, 02:16 PM
mwb
Original Poster

Do you need restaurant advice in Buenos Aires?

Hello fellow Fodorites- I wonder if I might ask your opinion...I am from Boston, MA and am currently living in Buenos Aires working for an NGO. I am looking for additional work and am completely in love with the city. I would like to offer a 'special foodie' itinerary to visitors that would provide them with an array of insider's suggestions on where to eat, lounge, dine, munch depending on their particular tastes and interests. IE, a 'cortado' in a beautiful outdoor cafe, real bodega parilla in San Telmo, gourmet cuisine in Palermo, a good dulce de leche ice cream, and whatever else people might be excited to try. In short. I love food and think it's a vital part of exploring the city. I would love to share what I've learned by providing visitors with a personalized food "guide/itinerary" to help them with their trips but am not sure if there is a demand for it- given the abundance of guide books, etc. Do you think people would be interested in this personalized restaurant itinerary? Any input, opinions, advice would be muchly appreciated. Gracias!
Jan 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM

http://tinyurl.com/8mhk2

It might be helpful to you if you read these forums also. In case you have not.
Good luck!
Jan 30th, 2007, 06:48 AM

My husband and I are plannning several days in BA at the beginning of May and would be interested in a service of this kind. How would it work, what would you charge?
Jan 30th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Current issue of Conde Nast Traveler has a pretty interesting article about Buenos Aires. Might be worth reading before you go (with a grain of salt of course).
Jan 30th, 2007, 11:50 AM

mwb

What would you offer that is not available to the casual googler? guiaoleo.com.ar and Saltshaker.net offer excellent advice about the kinds of food available and locations.

If you could offer a very special service by taking people to the off-books "house" restaurants that are springing up in Buenos Aires...or to a special dinner served by a top chef...or to a cooking school, well, maybe you could pick up some extra coins. Otherwise, I doubt you could make a go of it..I could be wrong, but that's my opinion and I am sticking to it.
Jan 30th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Also, "saltshaker" gives free guided tours of much type mentioned above (when I'm available), beyond providing the board...
Jan 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Personally, it would not be my cuppa tea.
We travel on our own and dislike tours so that might be part of my reason, but we also enjoy doing our own research for restaurants and what sort of thing we like. Part of the adventure of travel is discovering things on your own, not being led from place to place.
And if you are aiming at "foodies", that would not be the clientele that you would attract, I am afraid. The "Foodies" that we know are very independent ..
So, no, I am sorry, but I don't think there is a demand for this sort of thing at all. (Unless you write and have a food show, then you might have a "hook" )..or in the case of Saltshaker who actually has his own restaurant..( Hola D!)
Feb 28th, 2007, 08:57 AM

I would not be interested in it.

Unless you have something special, that is unique that I cannot get out of the guide books and the internet.

For example one of the best tours I ever went on was in Madrid. The tour was about death and murder in Madrid. Topics I was not interested in learning about while I was in Madrid but it was the only one I could go on. Included in the tour were two stops at local tapas bars.

The brit who was gave the tour was entertaining to listen too and gave many insights in about Madrid history today. I do not think I could walk for ten minutes before I was laughing at something he said. It was my first night in Madrid and I had a wonderful time.

There are tapas tours in Madrid. But a history/tapas tour. Only one I know of and I went on it.

I am sure the Buenos Aires has a colorful history and you are fortunate to live in a city that is world known for it outstanding food. Bottom line I think you have to offer something more than just food.

Maybe shopping for tango shoes and going out to dinner? (Just a joke)

Good luck with your idea.

Bill
www.WilliamBert.com
Mar 1st, 2007, 06:10 PM

Yep, I don't see any special skills here... Having read the forums and posters mentioned above my group was good to go with no charge.

We also had a wonderful evening of dining and laughter at Casa Saltshaker.