Search

PG Girl - Question for you!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PG Girl - Question for you!

Do you know anything about the Sol y Luna lodge in Playa Grande? I am having a hard time deciding on a place to stay (we want a mini-fridge and a pool so Bula Bula is top of our list), and this hotel looks like it has it all. However, where is the location? Near places like Rip Jack? We don't mind a bit of a walk but don't want to be too far from beach and other restaurants.

Thanks!
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 05:27 PM

ag, did you find out what you were wanting to know? We stayed at Bula Bula back in July. It wasn't FAR from Rip Jack, but it was definitely "end of the road". The beach was a good 10 minute walk away. Transportation into Tamarindo by boat was available and cheap, however.

I'd choose something different next time--involving less drive time. Also, there was ZERO view, if that matters to you at all. Felt a little claustophobic. . .

On the plus side, the food was good. Breakfast, especially, was not skimpy at all--quite generous. The bar area appeared to have the potential for fun gatherings, but all was quiet while we were there. Few guests. . .
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Still no word on the Sol y Luna, it is brand new so cant find reviews (trip advisor has 2 and they are both great). By the pizza place, wherever that is! I am sooo indecisive, keep changing my mind on where to stay but we are leaving in a month so I need to hurry up!

We would stay at Las Tortugas but there is no fridge and a few bad reviews, would stay at rip jack but there is no pool. Thinking perhaps Capitan Suizo, but seems playa grande may be more my style than tamarindo. Sigh...maybe i will flip a coin!!

Shillmac, dying to try the restaurant you like in Brasilito...I was hoping you would chime in on these posts!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 02:15 AM

I've stayed at Las Tortugas & our room did have a mini fridge. Have you checked with the hotel directly about that..I don't know if they all do or if we were just lucky. We liked it enough there that we're going back again in Feb. It's not a deluxe property by any means but the location & beach access are great.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

They said that the room with a fridge is too large for me...sleeps 6. I did request a room with a porch facing the beach, maybe there are smaller room with fridge with diff location.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:52 PM

Hi ag123- Sorry for the delay, I was in Nicaragua (I love Granada!)

Sol y Luna lodge is located behind the pizzeria near the entrance to town. It is in a more secluded area back about 400 meters from the main road. They are very new cabinas and are nice, but not very well promoted, so many do not know about them or have stayed there. They are a bit far from the beach. I would say it is about a 5 to 8 minute walk. RipJack and Las Tortugas are right by the main beach entrance (north end).

For your requirements, Bula is an option, you could also try a place called El Manglar for a lower priced option that is just about 75 meters from the beach entrance in Palm Beach (south end). I also know of some private cabinas and small bungalows for rent both near the main beach entrance and in Palm Beach. All have fridges and pools. If you want more info, please e-mail me at [email protected]

I hope this helps!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi PG Girl-
Hope your trip was great! We have booked the cabinas at Sol y Luna...looks a bit far from beach but we figured we can use the excercise anyways. Thanks for your suggestions - our trip is only 2 weeks away and I am getting SO excited!! I have a few questions if you don't mind:

I have heard that there are pollution problems at the Tamarindo beach, does this affect Playa Grande?

We are thinking of seeing the turtles, do you think this is worthwhile? We do love wildlife but seems silly to wait in the dark for hours to see one turtle

We will be in PG for 3 nights and 1 in Playa Hermosa...any must see places and good restaurant suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks again!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 09:37 AM

ag123, one turtle is all you need to see. The fascination of it all has to do with what one turtle is doing. Seeing several of them won't add to the experience.

It's a little hard to describe, but it was almost a mystical thing. I would never have thought it would have been so amazing, but it truly was just amazing. Seeing and thinking about all the work that goes into that time honored ritual just gives you a shot of pure nature in one of its oldest forms.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful, that is all I needed to hear.

Shillmac - I have heard from Bill and we are squared away. Staying in Arenal 2 nights, driving ourselves Cano Negro and then down to La Carolina. Will get in around 3, still time for some horseback riding, then relaxing in the hot tub. Next day we will hike the Rio Celeste and then be on our way to Playa Grande. He warned that it might be rainy so no horseback riding I would assume, but we are fine with this. I love to just read and relax listing to rain anyways.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Good! I am so glad that you have this settled, and know you are relieved as well. VERY anxious to hear all about it, and I do hope you enjoy La Carolina. We were just so fascinated to find a place so different from the norm (very important that you don't mind given up a few amenities --like electricity!--in exchange for different and unusual!). You'll LOVE the jacuzzi, I think! There are some beautiful birds to see on the property as well. Enjoy!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 06:43 PM

ag 123- I think you will really like Sol y Luna and they have a cool trail through the woods to get to the beach. It is not too bad at all, everything in Playa Grande is pretty close.

There is a water issue in Tamarindo, but luckily we are not affected. They took tests at different points in Tamarindo and the readings near the estuary which seperates Tamarindo and Grande were fine.

You should no doubt see the Leatherback turtle nesting. It is the largest sea turtle in the world, so it is really a once in a lifetime experience. You will need to bring your passport to the MINAE office (a half a block away from the main beach entrance) to make a reservation. The cost is $16/person and all proceeds go to the National Park. The start times range from 6pm to midnight depending on the tides, but that is really just a reference time. It is hard to schedule these turtles, so you are right you may end up waiting several hours. Luckily, there are a few restaurants nearby, so you could stop in for a drink or maybe an appetizer if it seems like the wait will be long.

As far as must sees, I would also recommend doing a tour of the estuary. You will get to see the mangrove and perhaps a croc or monkey. Alex, the owner of Sol y Luna should be able to arrange it for you. It sounds like you have a very active trip planned before you get to Grande, so take advantage of the really tranquil beach and just chill. You should take a walk down to Playa Carbon one day during low tide. It is about a 20 minute walk or so north of the main beach entrance and is an all black sand beach and almost always deserted.

As far as restaurants, Rip Jack is good, it can be pricey for dinner, but the lunch and breakfast is a good value with large portions and good variety. They are also the only restaurant in town with an ocean view. Kike's is the good local spot, cheap casados and typical plates and good pizza. It draws an interesting mix of tourists and locals. This is just down the hill from Sol y Luna. I would also recommend the pizzeria. A little pricey, but great pizza from a wood burning oven.

I hope this helps. I am sure you will have a great time in Costa Rica. If you need any other info before you come down, just ask! I look forward to hearing about your trip when you return.

Ciao!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 06:59 PM

ag123

Here is the site for my trip report on doing the Turtle Egg Laying Tour.

Read it and you will see that it really is an experience to once in a lifetime witness this event

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34547060

Percy
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:20 AM

ttt for ag123
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Percy! I didn't realize these animals were so big - I guess one really is all it takes (although sounds like you got pretty lucky!)

PG Girl, glad to get the okay from you regarding Sol y Luna! Do you think I can sign up for turtle tour day of or should I pre-book? I know it can get booked up, but am not sure what night I want to do it.

Thanks again to everyone, I don't know how people could plan vacations before the internet!!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Yes ag123

You only get to see one, and you know one is enough because you spend a lot of time with the turtle.

I saw three but only watched one lay all her eggs.

Let the other people in the distance in a another group see the other turtle laying eggs.

You can go on a Turtle Egg Laying Tour and see No(!) turtles that night !

So you are really thrilled when you see one and then spend about an 1 and a half stand standing beside her and watching. It is a site you will never forget.

Percy
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM

ag123- I would go to the MINAE office when you arrive and check out the departure times and then make a reservation. If you have a choice between 6pm and midnight, you would definetly want to make a reservation. You can do same day, but it really depends how many people are in town that given week. During December, there are weeks that are completely booked ahead of time.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 07:49 PM

ag123;

I have just made a reservation for sol y luna starting the 16th of January for 1 week. I would love to hear about your stay there upon your return. It sounds like a great place! Have a fun, safe trip.

Thanks to the rest of you that have provided info regarding sol y luna!

cat22