Search

Paradisus Playa Conchal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paradisus Playa Conchal

We just booked a family vacation at this hotel.
Can somebody who has been there tell me about what is offered in the hotel since I have read about a lot of things being offered in some site, but no mention of them on another sites (like a climbing wall...)
Also, how do you go about making reservations?

I was also wondering about a wristband... do you need to wear one?

Any help, comments, would be greatly appreciated.

Inct
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:32 PM

Yes, they'll fit you with a wristband. You can make reservations online with the hotel or you can phone them at (506) 654-4123. Excellent English spoken. I used to have the e-mail address of the front desk manager. If you would like, I'll look for it and post it. You can also make reservations through other companies, but I've not used that service before and don't know how to do it. Perhaps someone else can help.

There is a small rock climbing wall. Also a trampoline and a laser tag area. Tennis courts, golf, of course. There are 3 ziplines that start up on a hill behind the disco and end up down over the pool. There is a company that operates all their beach activities like kayaking, jet skiing, etc. The activities team used to do this, but they've now hired someone from outside to do it. Near the activities (towel) center there are ping pong tables, scheduled yoga lessons, water aerobics, organized games (like basketball) in the pool, etc. You can ride bicycles, take ATV tours, etc. But that pool is so gorgeous and the pool bar such a fun place, especially around noon-1:00 when the band sets up and plays--you'll want to spend some of your time there! We're more into traveling here and there, but occasionally book a weekend at PPC just because it's a fun place! The evening shows in the theatre are very good as well with lots of dance lessons! Have a great time.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 09:39 AM

My son and daughter in law loved PPC and the entire Guanacaste area. Next time, they want to return with their children--and mother--as they said it's a great family destination. So you made an excellent choice!
Since you already booked the vacation, i assume you mean reservations for the activities ?? That can be done through the hotel acivities desk, or individual people who give on the beach. An excellent source of referrals for which of these vendors to use, is through reading the many feedback comments from guests on www.tripadvisor.com. Many recommend a specific person for activites, eg for ATV, and you'll see some names over and over. Remember, a lot of activities are INCLUDED in your hotel cost already, e.g. horseback riding, sunset sail (though you'll have to wade out to the boat--fun!) and (I think) the visit to the nearby monkey farm where you hold the babies. Have a gerat trip--I envy you!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 12:24 PM

We have booked a vacation at PPC but not at the bungalows. We rented a 4 bedroom condo. Please let me know what you think of the resort. It is our first time going to Costa Rica and have heard wonderful reviews of the PPC. We will be traveling in July so I hope the weather is good.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Just got back from PPC on 3/12. Make sure you have your transportation arranged from the airport to the hotel. We did, but our ride was late and were approached by many eager drivers. You get a wrist band at check in and the color identifies which room type you are staying in - condo, regular, royal, group, etc. I don't think food was included for the folks that stayed in the condos. The condos are pretty far from the restaurants/activities and pool. The beach is public and was gravel not sand, unless you walked to either end of the cresent. Some folks were in chairs and in the water. If you walk on the beach or play golf, spray yourself with bug spray - we were bitten on the ankles (it took about a week for the bites to go away) - other than that we really didn't see any bugs. We stayed in an all inclusive bali suite - same as the royal suite but closer to the pool and included all beverages/food. Definately the way to go with kids because they could go to the swim up bar and order frozen drinks and cheeseburgers all day long. Service was excellent. We brought 50 $1 bills and tipped the pool waiters ($1 per run)- which kept them coming back for more. The food was pretty good, but a lot of the sauces were heavy and sweet. I ended up ordering a lot of the sauces on the side. Booze was top shelf. We took a taxi into tamarindo (dusty beachside town - dress down) for dinner and ate at the Nogui Sunset Grill - operated by a guy from NY and his wife (from SF). Food was good - just appetizer small plates. We thought we'd buy souveniers - couldn't spend our money - all junk. A few nice stores, but nothing we couldn't live without. Looked like there were only a handful of restaurants. Don't think there is any other place to go close to the hotel. It was 90 - 100 degrees while we were there. Not sure what your weather will be like in July. There is plenty to do. If you apply for a sol melia MAS card you could earn enough points for a free night or two on your next trip, but you need the card before your stay begins. solmelia.com. When you leave to go back home, you have to be at the LIR airport about 2 hours ahead of your flight. They open up and go through all of your luggage by hand. Flying first class is the key. There was a separate line for first class and it was only 2 people deep, while the other had about 50 people in it. Continental offers cheap first class seats - and you only need to purchase them from LIR to HOU. There is a departure tax of about $28 pp- pay USD, we used a credit card and were charged a cash advance fee by visa of $13 PP. We would definately go back and bring the kids.