Panama vs Costa Rica

Old Jan 4th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panama vs Costa Rica

We just came back from a Costa Rica vacation after visiting Panama last year.
I have to start by saying that both countries are wonderful, warm and friendly.
We are thinking about buying a summer home either in Panama or Costa Rica.
Costa Rica we felt was ahead in dealing with expats but Panama more modern and with better infrastructure.
We love nature and Costa Rica would seem like the right option for us I have to say that we were surprised by Panama's nature and its easy access from the capital, something is not true for Costa Rica.
Last year in Panama we enjoyed a good mix of history, nature and culture vs the nature and adrenaline of Costa Rica.
My husband and kids just told me: Panama of course! No contest!
Panama here we come!
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 07:29 AM

I think you've spelled out perfectly what the pros and cons are between the two countries. I remember the time when Costa Rica had no competition in Central America when it came to attracting foreigners to live there. Now Panama, Honduras, Nicaragua and Guatemala are actively and successfully giving Costa Rica a run for its money.

One factor you didn't mention which is an issue for me: Climate. Much as I enjoy visiting Panama, I think the heat is brutal, unless you're in a higher elevation locale like Boquete or Valle de Anton where many foreigners have settled. In Costa Rica, the entire Central Valley, including San Jose, is at 3,500-4,000 feet elevation and has a wonderful climate as a result. For me, that's the deciding factor.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 07:07 AM

Jeff makes a strong point. We are SO pleased with our choice to build in the mountains of Costa Rica--it is such a perfect year round climate. We would choose the Boquete area if settling in Panama.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 09:18 AM

On my one and only trip to Panama, we avoided Boquete because the climate, at least in January, was far too cold. I come to Central America for heat and humidity.

Hate it when the temps drop to the lower 70's--or, horror of horrors, into the 60's......

Hi Shillmac
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 04:02 AM

Boquete is one of the most beautiful places in the world, no wonder many expats have choose this place to live.
Also you should look into Altos del Maria and Azuero Peninsula.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 07:04 AM

www.international.com

www.escapeartist.com

best expats sites Panama clearly superior for me

due to pensionado status for real estate investment

which I have done a fair amount of.

Lease purchase agreements direct are the best way to go.

to be sure you are up for all the rain long term...

Happy Hunting be very careful many scammers both countries.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:08 PM

I’ve never been to neither Costa Rica nor Panama but lately I’ve been hearing and seeing more and more about these countries. People (mainly real estate people) talk highly about Panama, mainly Boquete, suggesting that it is very nice and cheap to retire. I’ve made some research on the internet and been trying to learn as much as I can since it really sounds good what I’ve heard so far. I’m very concerned about a lot of things that I’ve found while doing my own research such as Mosquitos, crime, rainy season, etc. I would appreciate if someone would give me some more info how the rainy season is really like. Is it like it rains for months in a row every day, all day? I appreciate any info on any of my concerns.
I’m sure everyone agrees that we (me and my husband) should make a couple of visits all around in both countries, to get our own experience, and see how we like them. I would appreciate some advice where to go first and if we should go for one of those real estate tours where they show you properties and tell you about real estate law and so on.
Thanks to everyone in advance.