Search

Overnighter in Rio

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Renee Tyler

Overnighter in Rio

Hello everyone.<BR><BR>We are coming to Brazil in 2 weeks and are flying into Sao Paulo from the U.S. We are connecting into Florianapolis, but have to wait until the next evening for the flight. We really wanted to spend some time in Rio, but couldn't get a flight directly there.<BR><BR>Would it be reasonable of us to fly out of Sao Paulo into Rio and come back the next evening in time to catch our flight to Florianapolis? I would want to leave the majority of our luggage in Sao Paulo and just take what we would need for the overnight trip to Rio, but I cannot find anywhere if Congonhas airport has lockers or luggage storage. How could I find out about this? <BR><BR>Any help you could give me would be very welcome and much appreciated.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Don

Well I can't help you out about the lockers, if there aren't any take the bags with you, the actual flight time to Rio from Sao Paulo is only about 40 minutes so you should be able to make it back and forth in your time frame.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:26 AM
liz

Just buy a connection from SP international airport straight into Rio. Don't mess around with the local airport in Sao Paulo on your way to Rio, no need. I recommend the Copacabana Palace as #1, #2 the Meridien, also very nice with great views. Your hotel will arrange a car and driver to take you everywhere. I think you can fly from Rio to Floripa with just a stopover (no plane change). It is 90 degrees here today in SP! Floripa may be slightly cooler, Rio is much hotter. Travel in black lycra slacks, comfortable sandals, bring sundresses, shorts, light tops and tennies. Women wear very little when they go out at night, always bear arms and strappy tops. Too hot for jeans. We tell all our friends who come here, they use clothes with too much fabric! This is Brazil! All men wear speedos only, whether they weight 100 pounds or 300 pounds, and women wear Brazilian cut bikinis. Bring costume jewelry. ALSO: no one accepts dollars here except in major hotels. Travellers checks are a pain. Have a bank card with Cirrus and another one with Plus so you can just pull money out of an ATM. Get money at the airport before you leave for the hotel. Bring those roller bags that you can just carry on. What are you going to be doing in Floripa and where will you stay.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Renee

Thanks Don and Liz for your responses!<BR><BR>Liz, we are staying at a resort, the name of which escapes me at this moment. We plan to rent a car and explore the outer-lying areas of the town; but mostly, we are going to find the seafood market, relax on the beach, and cook wonderful food at night. Oh, and have plenty of cocktails of course. <BR><BR>I was afraid to bring roller bags. I felt it would not only draw tons of attention, it would also make us far less mobile (than, for example, a backpack). We'll have laundry so I planned on packing very light anyway.<BR><BR>Thanks also for the hotel suggestion. I've seen lots of options and it amazes me that different guidebooks can have such completely different opinions of the same hotel. We felt we should see them in person before committing. But as a backup plan, I think I will book your Copacabana Palace. <BR><BR>Thank you again for your help.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Renee

Oh, and by the way Liz, no way I'm going to squeeze myself into a bikini. I'd rather be boiled in oil.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Don

As far as exchanging money in the airport is concerned, I always wait to exchange untill I get into the city so that I can compare my choices and get the best rate. One place to start is Convencional Cambio E Turismo located on Rua Xavier de Silveira 40. This is the side street of the Rio Othon Palace hotel. Try this place first, there are also 2 jewelry stores on the corner of that block that will exchange and sometimes give you a better rate. These shops are also across the street from www.blameitonrio4travel.com if you want to go in and ask Bobby for advice on anything.