Search

Clothes in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clothes in Buenos Aires

Starting to think of clothes for BA.

Are bright, springy colors appropriate for this time of year or is it similar to NYC where black is the standard?
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 05:09 PM

I kept to my NYC wardrobe but colors are certainly worn by everyone really.
Just remember, it is a huge city, it can get to be very warm, and if you want to pack in a smart way as far as what to take and how much to pack, I always only take black and white. White tops, dark bottoms,skirts etc.

When it is very warm, I quit wearing jeans. In BA .. women wear skirts and dresses and it is much more comfortable in humid heat.

Do bring / wear the most comfortable shoes you own.
And flats .. sidewalks in some areas are not perfect, streets can be cobblestone or just in need of repair here and there ... you don't want to trip or fall or break anything.
Once the sun sets, it cools off nicely, bring light cotton sweaters or a little jacket.

Also remember, take me with you
Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Would love to have you with us, Scarlett.
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 04:35 AM

Thank you, I will start packing today.
Remember to carry a purse that has a strap that you can carry it across the chest .. So no one can pull it off ..
One with a zipper closing is good, so no one can slip their hand inside.
I have a bag that has a strap with a clasp that you can attach your wallet to, so no one can lift the wallet out of the bag without your knowing it.
This is the best way to avoid a bad memory of the trip when you lost your money.
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I have a purse with so many zippers that it takes me forever to find what I want.

Usually I carry very little money and either use credit card or withdraw relatively small amounts at a time from ATM. However, as everyone has advised, I'll be bringing larger amounts of US $ to take advantage of the better exchange rate, which I understand in theory, but maybe not in practice. This makes me a bit more nervous. Guess I'll leave most of the cash in the room safe, which I hope is secure.

This probably will sound a bit dumb, but just want to check. If something is 100 pesos, I wouldn't get a further discount on that for using US cash rather than pesos, right? So once I change a US bill and have pesos for change, they're just as good to use as US $?

Is it proper ask the exchange rate when paying for something with US $ and does it vary from one shop/restaurant to the next? Do all restaurants accept and give discount on US $ or should I ask when entering?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 07:53 AM

Clousie, about your post above:

"I'll be bringing larger amounts of US $ to take advantage of the better exchange rate, which I understand in theory, but maybe not in practice."

GREAT! The place described in this hotel reviews is a favorite with tourists http://tinyurl.com/pqpj6z3

"This makes me a bit more nervous. Guess I'll leave most of the cash in the room safe, which I hope is secure."

GREAT! If there is ANYTHING you can pay in advance in pesos, pay it as soon as you have changed, to get rid of the cash, so you'll be less nervous.

"This probably will sound a bit dumb, but just want to check. If something is 100 pesos, I wouldn't get a further discount on that for using US cash rather than pesos, right? So once I change a US bill and have pesos for change, they're just as good to use as US $?"

It depends. There MAY be shops or businesses which give you a better exchange rate for your dollars when you buy something from them than the place mentioned above, but you will also find places which refuse dollars or accept payment in dollars only at a very bad rate.

"Is it proper ask the exchange rate when paying for something with US $ and does it vary from one shop/restaurant to the next? Do all restaurants accept and give discount on US $ or should I ask when entering?"

It is proper and, as said above, it varies, some acccept dollars, some don't and yes, DO ask first. The magic words would be: "A cuánto toma el dólar?"

All things considered, I feel your best alternative is to exchange dollars into pesos as soon as you can and pay for all your expenses in pesos. If you go to a place or shop where the person at the cash register seems to be the owner, you can say you don't need an invoice and ask if you get a further discount for that. But this is a rather "advanced" strategy. LOL! The magic words would be: "Efectivo sin boleta???"

Have a great time in my town, with everything at about 40% off versus your CC.
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 09:09 AM

We exchanged money at the Alvear in the early days too .. it is so nice there, you will feel very comfortable. Isn't that where you worked Avrooster?

Clousie, after you exchange the money, sit in the lobby bar, on a sofa and have a drink .. we did that now and then and it is just so nice ... : )
*they make the Best Bloody Mary in town*
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 09:34 AM

The Alvear Palace Hotel does NOT, repeat NOT, exchange money. It would be illegal for them to do so, even at the official rate.

There IS a place around the block from the hotel, as described in the link I posted above, which does, but it is in NO way related to the hotel.

Have a great time in my town.
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 10:28 AM

Sorry, I remember where the money place is but thought of it as belonging to the Alvear. Thank you avrooster.