Search

Rio Attire???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Will

Rio Attire???

OK. Reservations are finalized and we are in the 6 week countdown to Carnival in Rio. I need tips on how to dress. I would imagine day attire is easy but what about going out at night? We plan to do a bit of everything but coming from NYC, I don't want to look like Gotti's crew or a walking an add for Kenneth Cole with my 3 frineds if it's different there. Can anyone give me hints on what people wear at the discos, regular bars even to dinner at nice restaurants? Thanks for the help.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Don

Will, wear what you always wear in the summer, keep in mind during the day it may hit 110 degrees and at night it still could be in the 90's. I always wear long cotton pants and a short sleeved shirt which is exactly what I would wear in any hot climate when I go out in the evening. Do not wear shorts at night, some clubs if not all will not let you in.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 11:55 AM
liz

Speedo on the beach. Shorts and a T-shirt with a cap and sunglasses for anything daytime. Bring your Nikes for walking along the beach. Evening, nice short sleeved shirt and casual trousers. Americans stick out because of their height, their white skin and their shoes -- I agree, skip the Kenneth Coles. The rule in Rio is "less fabric". Keep that in mind. Have fun!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Joaquim

Will, I live in NY also and I will be in Rio just a little after you, the clothes that I always bring consist of short sleeve shirts and light fabric pants. Several of my shirts that I always bring are made by Kenneth Cole and at least 1 or 2 of my pants are. I never had a problem wearing them anywhere in the world in hot climates including Rio. I do come from NY and with what I wear in Rio if you saw me wearing it on Mulberry street in front of the Raven club, I would not stand out as being foreign. I guess what the previous poster was trying to say is that for the most part no matter what you wear they are going to know you are not Brazilian if your not. So just go and dress cool and have the time of your life, I know I will when I go.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Will

Thanks to all.

Old May 18th, 2003, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
t
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:53 AM

Just to nit-pick..not every American in Rio has "white skin". Brazil is very popular with African Americans and every time I go to Rio, I meet fellow AFAms. Brazilians are very stylish, and unless they are on the beach, they do not walk around in bathing suits and shorts. I wear the same things I wear to Manhattan in the summer: short-sleeved shirt, capris/lightweight pants/skirt, and sandals (sometimes trainers).
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:01 AM

Perhaps the reason it was mentioned that Americans stand out is because many dress very simmilarly. The Friday dress down code seems to be de rigeur casual dress for many, but not all, Americans. I was in Salvador just the other day and was amazed how easy it is to spot American tourists (only the white ones) before they have even opened their mouths. If you wear a blue shirt and a pair of Khakis (particularly pleated ones) and combine this with some brown leather sandals, perhaps a white t-shirt underneath, perhaps also a camcorder and maybe a baseball cap you will look like an American. I would say I score 95% on "guess the nationality of that tourist" and dress gives most Americans away. Why would yiou weant to wear what you wear in the office on holiday anyway - baffling!
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:02 PM

Punani, you always make me laugh, I am an American abd I would love to be in the line up on that game show "Guess the Nationality" I go to Rio twice a year and I do speak some Portuguese and 100% of the time not one Carioca takes me for an American, sometimes they don't even believe me when I tell them. What your saying is true in some cases but not all cases I can assure you. I would love to see you on the line up for a game show called: " Who has a Panini?".
Old May 29th, 2003, 04:14 AM

Don

It is certainly true that not all Americans dress in the stereotypical way that I described in my last message.

However, many do! In fact to such an extent that this dress down fashion is now pervading Brazil's higher classes.

On my way back to Europe from Salvador I spent a night in Rio and stayed in Barra with some Carioca friends. We went to the mall in the evening and many wealthy Cariocas were dressed in Khakis and blue shirts!

It is good to hear that you don't.

Old May 29th, 2003, 05:29 PM

One time I sat down at a cafe to have lunch, the one next to the Mariott hotel. I spoke to the waiter in Portuguese, ordered my food and when I finished I noticed this man next to me at the next table staring at me. Without him openning his mouth I could see he was an American just by the way he dressed. Then he spoke to the waiter in some type of bad Spanish, then I knew he was an American. I asked him where he was from in the US, he told me California, He asked me where I was from I told him New York, he wouldn't believe me, he didn't think I was an American at all. Im 3rd generation American from Italian/Irish descent so Im a gringo. My point is that us Americans have European backgrounds and are not always appearing like those pasty white polyester dressed blue haired hawaian shirt type wasps from the mid west some of us can have an international and stylish look and speak other languages, please don't stereotype us into that look that you describe. Last year I was in Mexico and when I walked down the street since my Spanish is now rusty I responed to the Mexicans in Portuguese, they thought I was Brazilian, I had fun with that. When I am in NY and I speak to someone who has a Brazilain accent I respond in Portuguese, it freaks then out and they always ask me, where are you from? My point is give us gringos a break, we all don't have blue hair and polyester suits, some of us have style.