Osa Peninsula?

Old Oct 28th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osa Peninsula?

For Christmas, I'm surprising my husband of 30 years with a trip to Costa Rica, although for economic reasons, we will travel in early May. He's a hiker, kayaker, and loves the great outdoors, with an appreciation for all things natural. After reading some material, I'm starting to think that the Osa Peninsula would be really great. There is apparently a hotel, the Lapa Rios Ecolodge inside the park (seems a bit pricy, but is inside the park?) and the Bosque del Rio Lodge which is also highly recommended. Has anyone visited either of these two places? We only have about 8 nights to spend, and I was thinking of spending four of them at either of these hotels/lodges, and I would like information on what anyone would think would be a nice second choice for the remaining 3 nights. (Probably have to spend one night in San Jose. ) What about Tortuga? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 06:36 PM

There are no lodgings inside Corcovado park. The road from Puerto Jimenez to Carate (the literal end of the road) has about half dozen places to stay. Personally I prefer Bosque del Cabo, which is near Lapa Rios. Not only do they have more land and trails but you're free to hike on your own. Another great place is La Leona Ecolodge, it's the closest you can stay to the Corcovado park entrance. It's much more bare bones than Bosque, it's permanent tents (with bathrooms), no electricity. You could spend some of your spare nights in Arenal which is 2.5 hr drive from San Jose or fly in to Tortuguero.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 06:37 PM

Lapa Rios isn't inside the park, but that doesn't really matter. There aren't any lodges technically in the park. In addition to Lapa Rios check out Bosque del Cabo. A tad more affordable, and basically down the road from Lapa Rios. A beautiful place. You could also split time between Bosque or Lapa and one of the beach hotels.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Typing at the same time
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM

I met some honeymooners one time that thought Lapa Rios was in Corcovado. Thanks to Trip Advisor you can pick your location but no, it's not in the park. Highly recommend Bosque del Cabo and a few days somewhere else like Arenal. Lots to do in both locations
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 02:22 AM

www.lookout-inn.com

Carate most convenient to www.corcovado.org

www.jinetesdeosa.com or Aguila De Osa more upscale

for Cano Island diving and Drakes's Bay

nice different experience...
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 07:02 AM

We loved Bosque del Cabo. Check out their video:

http://bosquedelcabo.com/home/index.html

The big draw of Tortuguero is the turtles, and I don't think you'd see them in May. If your husband loves hiking, he won't do much of it there since it's mostly boat travel on canals. I'd go to Arenal to check out the volcano, waterfall hike, Hanging Bridges, natural hot springs, and the Cano Negro tour to see wildlife.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, very much for your answers. I truly appreciate it. Arenal will most likely be our other venture.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 07:52 AM

me, there's also Lake Arenal that offers kayaking - might be fun.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 05:03 PM

Hubby and I just went on our first trip to CR last May, coincidentally, for our 30th anniversary. We had 10 nights and split them between three destinations, Osa, Monteverde, and Arenal. We also spent two nights in San Jose at two different times, 1 night each due to travel logistics.

Our itinerary was as follows:

Day 1 - Fly into San Jose; used Wilson Rojas to drive us to Monteverde for 2 nights at Rustic Lodge
Day 2 - Ziplining and hanging bridges in AM and night hike
Day 3 - Nature walk in AM and transport in PM via jeep-boat-jeep to Arenal for 3 nights at Hotel Silencio del Campo
Day 4 - Hung out at hotel and their hot springs(volcano not totally visible) and went into town for dinner
Day 5 - Cano Negro tour (all day) and dinner at hotel
Day 6 - Hotel in AM and quick visit to waterfall in PM with Wilson (driver) on our way back to San Jose to spend one night at Alegria B&B
Day 7 - Fly to Osa on Sansa for 3 nights at Bosque del Cabo - Congo cabina
Day 8 - Bosque
Day 9 - Bosque
Day 10 - Fly to San Jose on Nature Air and spend one night at Casa Bella Rita
Day 11 - Fly home

With 8 days I would leave out one destination, most likely Monteverde. Just be aware that the TOP of the volcano in Arenal is frequently not visible.

We are considering going back in May of next year and would like to include Drake Bay and possibly Corcovado. I agree that May is not the time for Tortuguero.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 01:32 PM

I personally like Casa Corcovado which is on the Drake Bay side of the Osa Peninsula. It's right on the northern border of the park, very close to the San Pedrillo ranger station, and you can hike into the park. To reach the lodge, you take a boat from Sierpe. The boat ride is about 90 minutes, first down the Sierpe River and then along the Pacific coast. Boat transportation is included in the various packages they offer.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 05:52 PM
RAC

The only place to stay inside Corcovado park is the Sirena Ranger station, but it takes quite a bit of planning just to get there and get a reservation.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 12:55 PM

Correct, the only place to stay inside the park is at the Sirena Biological Station, in dorm rooms or in your own tent on the covered camping platform. It is possible to have hot meals in the park. You can reserve up to 30 days in advance, but must prepay.

Lapa Rios is a true ecolodge. They are doing many things right to preserve the jungle - Bosque de Cabo is also highly regarded. I like La Leona Eco Lodge because it is on the beach and just steps from the entrance to the La Leona entrance to the park. But there are many, many other lodges in the area.

Drake Bay is also lovely, however it is very isloated, and transportation costs tend to be very high as it's mostly by private boat.

I was born in Sirena before it became Corcovado became a park, and was raised on the Osa Peninsula. If I can answer any further questions, don't hesitate to post them here.

Pura Vida,
Ballardo Diaz
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM

My wife and I spend a short visit to Aguila De Osa.

That was several years ago and it was wonderful. The scenery was fantastic, the day trips were well guided or could be visited alone.

The food was all gourmet.

I am glad that we went. It was perfect and nearer to heaven that I ever expect to experience and a good thing too as I doubt that I will be headed up. More likely down, I expect.

For anyone having the chance to visit Aguila De Osa. Grab it.

Woodie
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 02:45 PM

I know the Osa very well and also love Bosque del Cabo. If you want a less expensive option though, check out Finca Exotica. It a newer eco-lodge that is at the end of the road in Carate. It's at the entrance of Corcovado National Park. The food is amazing there! Have fun!
Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 09:18 AM

Finca Exotica is directly across the dirt road from the Carate Airport. There are not many planes, so it shouldn't be a problem. There is also Luna Lodge, Lookout Inn both in Carate, and El Romanco near Bosque Del Cabo in Matapalo/Rio Piro.

Pura Vida,
Ballardo Diaz
Jungle Guide - Osa, Corcovado, Drake & So. CR
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 10:40 AM

The Carate area is incredible because of its remoteness. For Scarlet Macaw viewing it can't be beat. I have stayed at Luna Lodge-loved it, Look Out Inn- Terry is a character, and the old Corcovado tent camp right by La Leona. Note that I mentioned remoteness. I obviously love it there because I keep going back but unless your only goal is to hike on the beach or into the park, you might be better off just a little closer to town. Keep in mind also, that the animals don't know the park boundries so staying in the park at Sirena isn't absolutely necessary for good sightings. I do caution the swimming in that area. It can be done but it can be rough at times and there are rip tides. Another option would be to split your time between a place closer to town and Carate. I have done that many times. Bosque del Cabo is about 1/2 way between town and Carate and if you have a car it would give you more options. BdC is my all time favorite place down there for wildlife and just pure beauty although Luna is quite beautiful too. I have also stayed at Lapa Rios which was okay. Very upscale. Good exercise walking up and down the stairs. Lovely rooms. El Remanso is another option, haven't stayed there but had a lovely visit with one of the owners when i visited it.

For even closer to the beach and kayaking, fishing, dolphin tours, animal sanctuary etc there are a group of hotels that are very comfortable and right on a beautiful beach. I have stayed at Iguana Lodge/Pearl de Osa many times and enjoy it there but on either side there are also the Yellow Coco, and the Black Turtle Lodges. For excellent birding, Bosque del Rio Tigre is my favorite in the Dos Brazos area. Located just before you get to Puerto jimenez on the main road from Chacarita. Great food and a nice location on the edge of Corcovado. A little more rustic but very comfortable. No private bathrooms except for the little cabin. You can also have a birding morning with them from one of the other lodges on the beach.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 04:59 PM

ttt