Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Lost Iguana & Bosque del Cabo in February? Is this a good combo?

Old Jan 19th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Costa Rica Fans! I'm trying to put together our 3rd trip to Costa Rica. Last minute planning...hoping to find room available in February! My husband and I want to spend about a week on the Osa peninsula. The deluxe ocean view cabinas at Bosque del Cabo are pricey...but I'm waiting to hear if they have 3 nights available in February. (LOVE Bosque del Cabo!)

To balance the budget, and also add variety, we'd like to add 3 nights on a beach, at a fun place that's less expensive than Bosque del Cabo. How about the Lost Iguana? Open to other suggestions.

El Remanso looks intriguing...although it's about the same price as Bosque del Cabo.

We don't surf at all. We like beach walks, beach sunsets, swimming, (and snorkeling when available.)

So, our itinerary would look like this:
Fly into San Jose
1 nights: Hotel Bougainvillea
Fly to Puerto Jimenez
3 nights: Lost Iguana or WHERE? on a beach?
3 nights: Bosque del Cabo
Fly back to San Jose
1 night: Hotel Bougainvillea

Thanks!
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 09:26 PM
RAC

Great combo. We did such a combo in 2013 (with a night at Bosque del Rio Tigre in between) If your arrival is early enough, or your return late enough, you could even grab an extra night in the Osa.

To balance out costs, we chose the club rooms at Iguana Lodge (assuming you meant this rather than lost iguana which is near Arenal). The combo is great--three days on the beach near the water and town, plus three days to experience the rainforest.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

RAC, thanks! Yes I meant the Iguana Lodge on the beach near Puerto Jimenez. It's also tempting to book both Bosque del Cabo and El Remanso, even though they are right next to each other. Sometimes it's fun to try new places. We loved Bosque del Cabo on our 1st visit, and it's the only place we've stayed on the Osa so far.

I think I may have browsed through your trip report! 8-)

Wish I'd booked this trip sooner, but better late than never, as long as I can get the rooms. My hubs is working out the flights, and that's not a problem. In fact, it looks like he'll be able to get rewards flights.

Can't remember whether your stay at Iguana Lodge was during the dry hot season? I'm wondering if it will be uncomfortably hot at Iguana Lodge in February. (Our 1st trip to Bosque del Cabo was January, but the deluxe cabinas do get an ocean breeze, so it was comfty for sleeping at night, and cool enough for hiking very early in the morning.)
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 01:27 PM
RAC

You're on the water so there should be breezes . I was there during February. Found it to not be a problem. I would do IL plus either El Remanso or Bosque del Cabo. You're right where all the water tours (kayaking, dolphin tours etc) leave from at IL.

Also crazy numbers of scarlet macaws there. We saw 17 before breakfast was over one morning.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 03:02 PM

I was just about to say that the Lost Iguana is in the Arenal area, but looks like you got it all figured out. That sounds like a great trip.