Notices

Ollantyatambo vs Urubamba?

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ollantyatambo vs Urubamba?

Asking more questions still - and thanks in advance for providing help in planning the trip! I want to explore SV, MP and cusco. Based on my research, I understand that staying in Urubamba is preferable to staying in Ollanta. Comments?
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:19 PM

Personally, I'd say no. I think Ollantaytambo is far more interesting than Urubamba. You have the top-flight Hotel Pakaritampu, the medium-range Hotel Sauce (a place I really like) and the more basic Albergue, which has recently raised its rates and added amenities, so it isn't the no-frills backpacker's digs that it once was.

Urubamba and the town of Yucay, right next door, are more centrally located in the Sacred Valley and have a bigger selection of services. That is an advantage, but I still like Ollanta better. If you have your own vehicle, it really wouldn't matter.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 08:03 PM

I like Ollantaytambo too. We stayed at Hotel Pakaritampu. If you stay there, request a room on the second floor. The beautiful wood floors are noisy when people are coming in. A llama was born right next to our window while we were there.

While it is quite busy with tour buses a couple of times a day (you will most likely be touring then) - at night it is magical. It felt like being in a time machine to us.

We rode Paseo (sp) horses one day and went to the weaving village. Highly recommend both. Again, like going back in time and the people could not have been more wonderful.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:39 AM

Yes, Ollantaytambo is much nicer than Urubamba. Ollantaytambo is basically a still occupied Incan ruin. Urubamba a dusty town without very much charm.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 08:50 AM

As was mentioned, Ollantaytambo is the only occupied example of domestic Inca architecture that still survives and is very interesting to walk through. In addition, Ollantaytambo has its own ruins above the town which are very easily accessed and are very interesting. We stayed at the Albergue and thought it was a great place to stay.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:07 AM

We also stayed at the Hotel Pakaritampu and it was great. The place was great.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 06:15 PM

We flew to cusco and immmediately went to Yucay (Sonesta Hotel) for the first night. I had a nasty migraine. The second night we went to Ollanta and stayed at the Pakaritampu. It was nice because you just walk right into the town with its tiny museum, restaurants, town square, and of course, the ruins.

But another advantage of a night in Ollanta is that you can get the early train to MP, so you get there before the hordes come from Cusco
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 01:01 PM

I don't know if your decision has been made as this post is quite old..but i would put in a vote for urubamba. it may be a dusty town with less historical interesnt, but there are the very things that make is so wonderful. Urubamba is a real town which does not revolve to the same extent as some of the others around tourism. i went there for 4 months and stayed for 8!