Search

Oaxaca safety

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oaxaca safety

After reading the travel warnings from U.S. government concerning safety in Mexico, I would like to hear the opinions of people who have visited Oaxaca and vicinity recently. We are two adult women who plan to visit that area in April. Thanks for any information you might have.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 11:59 PM

Have traveled to Oaxaca City on a regular basis for the last ten years. Never a problem. Personal opinion is that it is very safe. Some rural parts of Oaxaca state may be another story. There are some reports of bus robberies etc., although I have traveled wideley throughout the state with my family without a problem.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:49 AM

The CITY of Oaxaca and the popular sights nearby should be no problem. I'd be concerned about going to remote rural places. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. Most of the warnings on Mexico from the US State department are based on the situation in Mexico City, not necessarily on the rest of the country.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 03:49 PM

We were there for a week in June with our 2 teenage daughthers and felt very safe in the city and the surrounding areas. We were warned of the Chiapas problems and there were lots of soldier types on the road heading south. If you really want to feel secure, stay at the Camino Real or in the general area. It is busy at night and we had no concerns. Eating in Oaxaca was wonderful...we never had a bad meal. You'll enjoy it!
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughtful advice. We have decided to continue with our travel plans to Oaxaca City and reserve at Camiino Real Hotel if it is available.