Search

Oaxaca in late February

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oaxaca in late February

I'm thinking about going to Oaxaca for a week (including travel days, from NYC) in late February or early March. I'll be traveling with my husband (we are 60-ish). Wondering whether we should spend a couple nights in Mexico City or just go straight to Oaxaca (that's my inclination). This will be our first visit to Mexico. We like food, markets, gardens, people-watching, scenery, history. Also, any hotel recommendations? Somewhere pretty and comfortable, not too big.

I see there is a recent travel report on Oaxaca and I will read that. But let me know if you have any suggestions particular to my situation.

Thanks!

Jen
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 08:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Wife and I (also 60ish) will be in Oaxaca next week, driving from Queretaro. You could easily spend several days or an entire week in CDMX alone. I might suggest as a first visit skipping Mexico City (unless logistics prove otherwise) and then perhaps 1 or 2 in Puebla and then move on to Oaxaca.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 08:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Go as early as you can as by early March it may be getting hot. I was there for the month last February and it was warm, but reports of VERY warm after I left.

I've got some blogs about my 2 trips there if it would interest you:

http://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/port...my-of-a-trip-1
http://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/back-to-oaxaca
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you balding. I will look into Puebla. Don't know what CDMX is. Have a great trip--hope you post about it here.

MmsPerdu--your trip reports are amazing. I've read parts and will definitely be using them as a resource. Based on what you say I'm going to schedule for mid-February. I don't like heat.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 08:05 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I was once staying in a place where it was hotter than I expected (not Mexico). I discovered that if I just didn't move it was fine. So I put on a fan, stretched out on a chaise on my verandah and read a book all afternoon. Fortunately the house had a cook so I didn't starve. But you probably want to move so best when it's cooler. I'm glad you can go earlier.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 08:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
CDMX is the 'new and improved' acronym for Mexico City (Ciudad De Mexico); prior many simply used 'DF' (Distrito Federal).
If you do indeed forgo CDMX this trip, you can catch a bus direct from the airport to Puebla. It might make for a long first travel day, but you'd be on your way to Oaxaca. Which by the way, is an excellent choice for first-timers as well as more experienced travelers. I think it'll be like our 15th time.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

MmePerdu--I had to keep the original dates because a week earlier is President's week/vacation week and flights were much more expensive. I tend to go out early, spend afternoons reading and napping, and out again in the evening, so I'll be okay. Look forward to delving into your trip reports!
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Baldone--Thanks for the enlightenment! I've decided to just spend a week in Oaxaca (and surroundings) and will fly there from Mexico City. I'm kind of a slow traveller... I think I will love it! 15 times--that's amazing.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 06:54 PM

I would fly directly to Oaxaca and perhaps see Puebla on the way home. Puebla is much larger than Oaxaca and I would consider the latter city as easier to manage.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...882801271/show

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...026204048/show