Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Help me plan a trip to Mexico City and San Miguel De Allende

Old Dec 12th, 2017, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help in making decisions on a planned trip in January to both Mexico City and San Miguel De Allende.

I will have 9 days and my initial thought is: Fly NYC to Mexico City and stay for 6 days. Then book a bus to San Miguel and stay 3 nights with an early flight out of Leon to Los Angeles.

We are a very active Senior couple interested in photography, museums, music, walking, exploring neighborhood and sightseeing.

Am I correct in breaking it down 6 days in Mexico City and 3 in San Miguel? Since I haven't booked my flights yet I could add one more day.

Thanks!
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 05:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I lived 7 years in San Miguel, but now live in nearby Queretaro. So, just a couple thoughts that might help you plan. San Miguel is not known for great museums, but rather good restaurants and art galleries. It is quite walkable, with non-expat/touristy 'Mexican' (for lack of a better term) neighborhoods within a 5 minute walk from the historic center. From San Miguel, you can also easily do day trips to Queretaro and Guanajuato. Shorter trips might include Mineral De Pozos and the Santuario De Atotonilco. Many restaurants have live music, perhaps the best being Bistro Mi Casa, owned by Gil Gutierrez, known for his work with Doc Severinsen. So, if you're able to add an extra day, you won't have any trouble filling your time.
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks baldone! Perhaps you can answer another question: We will be in San Miguel celebrating my birthday and our wedding anniversary. Can you suggest a restaurant and/or music venue to celebrate which will offer vegetarian options for my wife?
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 07:33 PM

As I mentioned, Bistro Mi Casa would be an excellent venue, located in the Instituto De Allende. Gil is a world-class guitarist as are his guest musicians. I'll put a link to his place at the end of this post. Scroll down to the 3 pics and click the 'about', then you should be able to drop down to the menu which has a couple of vegetarian options. That said, an update might be in order as the '2 Suecos' (2 Swedes that ran the kitchen) are no longer there.
Another option just a couple doors away would be Hecho En Mexico on Fridays and Saturdays. Recently they've offered a solo guitarist, Severo Barrera, and while he's good, he doesn't compare to Gil. But the moderately priced menu has vegetarian options. If Pedro Cartas returns to play, he's excellent.
The best pre-dinner place for cocktails and sunset would be Luna bar atop the Rosewood Hotel.
Other options for music and dinner would be Mama Mia's (average Italian/pasta), Los Milagros (lively place with a large menu, but I can't vouch for vegan options, ugh) and Pueblo Viejo, for which again vegan options escape me! But they do have 2 for 1 drinks Mon-Thu. Both right off the jardin.
Another vegetarian place in a colorful neighborhood would be Via Organica in colonia Guadalupe, but better for breakfast and lunch. Lots of street murals.
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 08:15 PM

oops, the link:
https://bistromicasasma.com/
Plus there are Mariachis in the jardin nearly every night if you want to seranade your wife.
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

I have just made our reservations and decided to spend 6 days in Mexico City and 4 days in San Miguel de Allende!!

I need suggestions for bus service from Mexico City to San Miguel and whether or not it is easy to book these tickets online.

Can you suggest a guide/driver for day trips to the pyramids out of Mexico City?

Friends have recommended the Hotel Villa Condesa to us. Your thoughts please.

My two sons have said that we have to eat in either Pujols or Quintonil. Which one would you recommend ( also remembering my wife is a vegetarian who will eat fish--just not chicken or meat).

Thanks!
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 09:41 AM

I highly recommend the restaurants Aperi and Moxi in San Miguel. The Moxi is in the Hotel Matilda which is lovely by the way.

Where are you staying in SMA?
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

We have not made any hotel reservations in SMA as yet. Do you have any suggestions?
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 10:52 AM

The Hotel Matilda is beautiful but pricey. Same with the Rosewood. At the other end of the spectrum we enjoyed our stay at the Casa Calderoni which is a B&B with an excellent location. (Merry Calderoni is an American artist who has a gallery at LaFabrica Aurora.) Very comfortable rooms with breakfast included. www.casacalderoni.com
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 03:16 PM

Your bus options are Primera Plus which goes direct but has fewer departures. ETN has more departures, costs a bit more, but briefly stops twice enroute in Tepotzotlan and Querétaro with no bus change. ETN has roomier double decker buses. You can buy ETN tickets online with PayPal. Their Spanish website seems to work better. For Primera Plus, you can buy in advance at an OXXO if the clerk is trained. PP's website says they do not accept foreign credit/debit cards for online purchases.
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 03:25 PM

Indeed Rosewood is a fabulous property.
Another upscale hotel would be the Belmond Sierra Nevada. It's spread out over some 300 year old colonial homes. They recently reopened their other restaurant location in Parque Juarez, about a 10 minute walk from the main hotel.
https://www.belmond.com/hotels/north...sierra-nevada/
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The only problem I see with you itinerary is that instead of returning to New York, you end up in Los Angeles. Was this intentional?
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks baldone for the casa calderoni suggestion! I just booked the Picasso room

Fra_Diavolo: Ending up in Los Angeles is indeed intentional!

I will see if the host at Villa Condesa can purchase my bus tickets for us.
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 05:41 AM

Actually, give thanks to Weekender for the Casa Calderoni suggestion. It is in a great location on a quiet street, and right in front of the hotel the Buen Día Cafe has some of the best coffee in town.
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Weekender for the Casa Calderoni suggestion!

How about any cooking class recommendations?
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 06:33 AM

allyboy:

I stayed in the Picasso as well. It is large and very comfortable.

Baldone is so right about Buen Dia. We loved that little place!
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

I have researched some of the cooking classes and came up with these:

1. Sazon
2. Patsy's Place
3. La Cocina ( Kris)
4. La Fonda Rosa- Chef Gaby
5. Marilau Mexican Ancestry Cooking
6. Paco Cardenas

We are interested in healthy cooling/vegetarian style that will include first shopping at the market and then preparing the food. It would be a fun way for us to celebrate our anniversary. Oh and of course wine!

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 06:26 PM

Can't help much with the cooking classes.
As far as wine goes, I don't know if you're wanting wine with the cooking class, wineries, or ?
So, these links may not be helpful but here they are anyway:
http://smawines.com/
http://dondayinsma.com/category/wine-finds/
Plus, there are several wine sellers, including the Mexican chain La Europea (near Starbucks), local seller Cava Sautto, and several others.
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again baldone for your suggestions! I was just wishing out loud that the cooking class would include wine, however, I will certainly look into your recommendations.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Leaving soon for Mexico City. Our son has given us a very nice Anniversary gift for Pujol and I just purchased tickets for Folklorio Ballet. We have also arranged for a driver to the Pyramids and a Vegetarian Cooking class in San Miguel.

Still interested in suggestions regarding restaurants, live music venues, photography museums/galleries in both places.

My wife is a photographer. Takes her camera wherever she travels. How concerned should she be in either city? Taxis vs Uber?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -