Moving to Guadalajara, Mexico

Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Guadalajara, Mexico

Hey guys-
I'm moving to Guadalajara for a couple of years. Have never been in Mexico, period, and, of course, don't know too much about this particular city and area. I have been studying the posts here, on Fodors, religiously, along with other sites. Is there anyone, who can call themself, an almost local to the city? I have a bunch of logistics questions and would love to pic a brain with my 'rooky' questions. Please hollor back!
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:29 PM

I'd check Thorn Tree on Lonely Planet & the Guadlajara forum on Trip Advisor (although you're only supposed to post travel not relocation questions so word it carefully).

I'm a daily reader here on Fodor's and there's no "almost local" for Guadalajara I'm aware of who read or posts on this branch.

Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM

Also try www.rollybrook.com (a retired guy who moved to Mexico permanently and addresses many of the logistical issues about moving to Mexico).
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Suze-
thank you very much for your reply! I'll start with these resourses...
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 10:33 PM

Hello Moglin:

I go to Guadalajara for work twice a year, it is an amazing modern city, crowded, with all kinds of food, shopping centers and many foreign people studying and working, but specifically, what would you like to know and where are you from?? Regards....
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 06:15 AM

I lived in Guadalajara from Jan 1998-June 2002. I completely fell in love with the city (though it wasn't love at first sight), and still go back every few years. I was there last in Feb 2008, and was shocked by how much it developed, but it still retains much of it's charm.
What questions do you have? I'm happy to help, if I can.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 10:57 AM

I'm curious about this post and hope Moglin comes back to chat.

What exactly are the "logistics questions"? If you asked them here, perhaps we could help.

Do you speak Spanish? If not, that's the first thing I'd get going on!
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 08:22 AM
JBX

I've only spent a 1/2 day in Guadalajara .... and that was several years ago, during a stay at Rio Caliente Spa. Although it was a brief visit to the city, I really liked it.

I'm under the impression there's a large community of expats who live in Guadalajara. So, I'd suggest you focus your research on those type websites vs. the travellers you'll find here.

http://www.liveabroad.com/articles/mexico.html

http://www.alloexpat.com/mexico_expat_forum/

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 12:56 PM

JBX~ How did you like Rio Caliente? I've been interested in that for years, but haven't made it there yet.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 02:01 PM

There is a huge expat community in Ajijic and Lake Chapala about 30 min. from Guadalajara.

Google these names you'll have more luck in finding something.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:40 PM
JBX

Suze,
I loved RioC. It's been almost 10 years since I was there. More recently a friend of mine visited during May (?) 2008, and from her description, it sounds like it's not changed much.

This wasn't an issue for me, however be aware the menu is vegetarian. I'm not one, and I thoroughly enjoyed the food. Also, there isn't any alcohol, which also isn't an issue for me. Lastly, I think they still only accept cash payment (no credit cards), as a way of maintaining lower costs.

It's a very laid back place. Somewhere stashed in a photo album, I have a picture soaking up the sun, "wearing" nothing but mud! For the price (I think it was $11), the mud treatment was a delight! I would love a return visit, however one only has so much vacation time and with other places, so many choices . . . . well, I just haven't gotten back there.

I have several pieces of silver jewelry that I love & frequently wear from our day trip outside the spa. We went shopping in Tlaquepaque during the morning, and then spent the afternoon seeing a few sites in Guadalajara.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:03 PM

JBX- Thank you. I had an older German lady neighbor who went there regularly I'm guessing 30 some years ago. It sounds like it hasn't changed much at all over time. Vegetarian menu is lovely, cash no problem, but lack of alcohol not ideal (lol). Oh well sounds like an idea to keep up my sleeve for sometime when I truly need R&R and something a little different. Thanks again for your answer.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Guys, thank you for all the responses. Sorry, I fell out of the thread boat for a long time, it's been busy with flying back and forth (Atlanta,Ga - GDL - back to the States). Things have been working very nice in GDL, I've been between 2 countries for the last 6 months. Guadalajara has a lot to offer, for sure, and I'm learning a lot too. Still overcoming mexican customer service shock but am trying to stay cool and be very philosophical about it . We are definetely spoiled about many things in the US. I've been checking all website links you suggested and it's been lots of learning.
Thanks for all the replies, fodorians are great and helpful as always!