Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morelia and michoacan

Hi, somebody has been to michoacan?
Looking to spend a week there With my wife
It's our 40th wedding anniversary and we are looking to relax on a
Budget
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 02:28 PM

Why there? How did you happen to choose it? Michoacan is one of the states in Mexico that's been hit hardest by drug violence.

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 03:48 PM

I was in Morelia two years ago this month. I am a budget traveler and I had a GREAT stay at Casona Rosa in Morelia for 3 nights, then I went to Patzquaro. In Patzquaro I can also highly recommend Posada Mandala. Enrique, the owner there, is wonderful. I did tripadvisor.com reviews on both of those venues.

http://www.casonarosa.com

And you can see and book Posada Mandela on Lonely Planet

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mexico/w...posada-mandala

I am a mega-researcher regarding hotels, and I could not have chosen better or friendlier or cleaner or more wonderful and memorable budget places to stay in either place.

I highly recommend that you go to both Morelia and Patzquaro with a 7 day stay. And if you stay at Casona Rosa in Morelia, definitely have Rose's great taxi driver, Jesus, take you on a trip to the villages around Lake Patzquaro on your way to staying at Posada Mandela in Patzquaro.

I was afraid of going to Michoacan ( due to the safety) for two years before I finally took that trip. But I am so glad I went. However, I can't vouch for the current situation regarding safety. But my experience has been that tourists are not targeted anywhere in Mexico. If you are going as a normal tourist who is just going out during the day and for dinner, and not going out on the roads late at night, my experience is that you are fine ( aside, of course, from the border, northern states ).
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 03:43 AM

Here is a link to my trip report on the trip I described above:

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...so-in-love.cfm
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 08:41 AM

We were there many years ago and loved it. Both Morelia and Patzcuaro are great places and very different.

I would check on drug violence, however, before booking. Did a quick google news search, and found that locals in the State are forming self-defense groups and fighting back against the narcos. I don't think that tourists are usually targets, but Michoacan is an epicenter of drug trafficking.