More CR Driving time questions...

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More CR Driving time questions...

Hi,

A couple of questions regarding driving times.

San Isidro [Tilari Lodge] to Rancho Naturalista. Is 3 1/2 hours reasonable?

Also San Jose to Wilson Botanical Gardens near San Vito. Seven hours?

Replies will be appreciated.

Jerry
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Jerry, we did San Jose to San Vito by bus in two installments. We spent a few days at Savegre on the way. I would say 7 hours is fair, maybe on the long side, but you know how that goes. When are you going? Do tell! Have you been to Rancho Naturalista before? I'm planning a few days there this summer. . .
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the info!

We're still in the planning stages....so can't say exactly when we will be going.

I've been to Rancho three times but always in Feb or March. Not a lot to do there except birding -but the birding, especially from the second floor balcony can be astonishingly good!The hummingbirds particularly, both at the feeders by the house and in the woods are just wonderful. The little snowcap is probably my favourite. And there are loads of tanagers, oropendulas, chachalacas etc to keep everyones interest.

They have a pretty view down over the Tuis Valley and the folks are friendly and food good. From a birding viewpoint it is one of my favourites but overall I prefer Selva Verde.....and of course Savegre is my favourite of all.

cheers

Jerry in chilly Toronto
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM

My husband has requested that I visit Rancho Naturalista without him! He doesn't mind joining in "some" of my birding expeditions, but it is a bit expensive for 2, so I'm doing it alone. I'll be in CR alone during June and July studying Spanish for 3 weeks. I'm going to use the days before I begin, the days after I'm finished, and the weekends in between to do my birding. I guess I should do Naturalista in June since the prices are considerably less than in July. But for sure I'll be back at Savegre for a couple of days! Also thinking of a weekend at Selva Verde--Tully has given me the fever. . .

Saw a new bird (for me) here in Oklahoma a few weeks ago--wonder if you have him up there--the Northern Flicker--large woodpecker family bird. He was beautiful, and I was so excited to spot something a little different!

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 04:59 AM

ha, I gave you the fever?! Well my trip to CR instead of Croatia was all your fault I come back on 05/18 so I will dutifully report on my 3 nights there. I'm still hoping some of the other 4 bungalows gets booked by the time I get there. I'm ok with the 10 minute walk out there but really don't want to be out there all by my lonesome.

Your March trip is coming up fast! How many days?
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:11 AM

I'd be hoping for the same if I were you. Don't mind traveling alone, but there is a little comfort in walking a lonesome trail at night with someone else along--to fend off the fer de lances!

We really enjoyed our stay at La Quinta de Sarapiqui a couple of years ago. But I've had lunch at Selva Verde and really like their property as well. Have you lunched there before also on the Highlights Tour?