COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Molino de Agua - Puerta Vallarta

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Molino de Agua - Puerta Vallarta

After reading thru all the recommendations for hotels, I thought Molino de Agua might work best for us (2 adults + 2 teenagers)... after spending the first week of April in Sayulita, we're looking for a hotel for 2 nights in PV - over Easter.
Since I haven't found any reviews of this hotel recently, I was wondering if it ever was sold, and if the Malecon was ever extended past the hotel -- which seemed like a possibility in earlier threads.
Has anyone stayed here lately? Any other good recommendations for that same part of town? (checked already with Casa Andrea but it's booked solid)
Thanks a million for any tips ....
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 06:16 PM

Molina de Agua WAS a delightful place with a beautiful Banyon tree for a setting. But Alas, the developers have purchased the property and the bungalows are being gutted as I write. The pools are empty. It's a sad site and too bad you didn't get to stay in this very lovely setting. For a beach setting try Playa Los Arcos, or Suites Emperador or Vallarta Shores--All in Old town, the best place to be. Hotel Eloisa, is quaint, but across from the "used to be" lovely Cardenas park which is now a big hole in the ground being dug up for a parking garage. Posada de Roger is a couple blocks away from the beach, but also quaint. Also Estancia San Carlos is a decent location but not right on the beach. Yes the Malecon bridge has been extended, it ends right at "Molina de Agua" and it sure is nice to be able to stay in Old Town/Los Muertos Beach and walk to the central part of PV to the Malecon. For teenagers, I suggest PiPi's restaurant. About 4 blocks up from the Malecon (Carlos Obrien's corner is Pipila) on Pipila.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Alas, Molino de Agua is no more. There is really nothing similar in town. It's a great loss, in my opinion.

Vallarta Sun Suites and Hotel (they own two different properties) are extremely nice, very tidy, one block in from the beach, one block away from each other (on either side of Casa Andrea actually) they'd be my first suggestion.

Hotel Tropicana or Suites Emperador for right on the beach (I am not a fan of Hotel Playa Los Arcos myself, just too darn touristy imo).

And the budget favorite Hotel Posada de Roger (I've stayed there myself a dozen times) if you don't mind beachy funky simple 3-star place in a great location.

I always stay south of the river, but for your situation, might you consider something in the Hotel Zone, maybe Buenaventura or the Sheraton?

Things are changing so quickly in Vallarta it's hard to keep up (and I was just there in June of this year!).

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Suze, I definitely wouldn't consider Posada de Roger a "3 star". "Funky", yes, "simple", yes, but definitely no stars.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Suze Yes that is a shame.I never stayed there but have had dinner in years past. They use to do a "Lobster" night special once a week on I think Fridays. I loved walking through their lovely grounds so peaceful like a private park. Yeah by what I have seen in Mexico Roger is defiantly 3 star. two star in Mexico means a 12" cable TV in most places. LOL
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 11:43 AM

SusanInToronto, Posada de Roger *is* a 3-star hotel.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the recommendations ... one of those should work for us.
What a disappointment about Molino de Agua.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:08 PM

It is terribly sad! The hotel was out of my price range, but for many years have been going to the various incarnations of the different restaurants on the grounds, spending time by the beautiful pool over drinks or lunch, visiting friends who stayed there, etc. It's a real loss imo.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Susan, To clarify and for others. I'm not arguing that Hotel Posada de Roger is a fancy place, or that these people should stay there... only that officially when you look at PV hotel listings, or the sign over their door, that Roger's is in fact officially considered a 3-star hotel. -Suze
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Wow, I'm surprised that it's list as a 3 star hotel. I normally stay in places with no stars, and that's exactly what we got with Posada de Roger.