Search

Mexico itinery question.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico itinery question.

Hi People,
My current itinery includes Guadalajara, Mexico City,Oaxaca,Merida and Playa del Carmen.

I want to squeeze in Tuxtla Gutiérrez and San Cristóbal de las Casas as a 2 day trip before Merida. I can find flights to Tuxtla, but can't find any direct fligths from there to Merida. They all seem to go back to Mexico City.

Does anyone know which airline might do this? And is it worth me going there for 2 days. I want to visit the Canon del Sumidero.

I've already checked out these airlines:
ClickMX
Avolar
Aviacsa
Aero Mexico
Mexicana - their site (http://www.mexicana.com) is down..
Interjet

Thanks
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:13 PM

You didn't mention the length of your vacation. That is a wonderful itinerary if you have the time. Outside of Merida, I think you would want to see both Uxmal and Chichen itza. You are covering a lot of ground with your itinerary. There is a lot to see in Mexico city and the surrounding areas is why I wonder about your time line.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 03:12 AM

Tasco is nice, and Palenque has a lot worth seeing though seems to get overlooked. I can't remember anything worth going out of your way for to go to Guadalajara or Merida. Buses are OK for getting around, and a night bus helps if you have little time.

There is a guy on the BBC travel boards who lives in Playa del Carmen and is knowledgeable about Mexico.

I have been to Mexico three times and despite my efforts have had things stolen each time, once by a little old lady on the bus behind me and another time in a packed Mexico City subway. Be careful.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 07:30 AM

Kaneda Interesting about you having things stolen as I have been traveling in Mexico for 25 years & over 40 trips NEVER having anything taken.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 05:31 PM

Kaneda that is very sad about your problems in Mexico. I love Mexico even though we have had a couple of problems. You have to be watchful and careful as you do everywhere else. Most Mexican citizens are honest and helpful. You are wrong about Guadalajara. It has a marvelous historic district. I liked colorful Merida because it is close to the ruins at Uxmal which are very worthwhile to visit. No one has answered the posters question about Tuxtla, etc.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,
Thanks for you comments - I'll add some brief answers:

blondlady - I'm in Mexico for about 25 nights/26 days. I'm used to squashing a lot in Being from Australia, I don't have the option of just zipping over to Mexico another time, so I want to cover as much as I can.

kaneda - sorry to disagree, but Guadalajara has interesting history and Merida is a good base for Yucatan. I'm sure Tasco and Palenque are worth visiting - but just can't visit everywhere. Maybe next time.

Again - not really interested in changing the itinery too much - but I would have thought somebody has tried to get from TG to Merida by air..??
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Unless you've some experience in Oaxaca, or a support network of friends there - I don't think it's a good idea to be wandering about the city of Oaxaca until after the violence/disruptions cease. Certainly not before December 1st.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 09:06 PM

Please research about Oaxaca, as stated by goMexico as we just read in todays Sacramento Bee about the unrest caused by the Presidential loser, Obrador, vowing not to allow Calderon to be sworn in as President. Even though that threat is far-fetched It may be hard to get around and in and about the city because of possible demonstrations.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 09:17 AM

ALERT on Oaxaca, this mornings paper advises an American Journalist has been shot and killed. The left wing opposition has set up certain road blocks. I strongly urge you to bypass this city this time around. Please be safe and enjoy your Mexico trip. You don't need this city and its problems at this time.