Advice for travelling in Mexico

Feb 6th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

Advice for travelling in Mexico

Hi!
I'm planning a trip to Mexico later this year; I've never been there before and know very little about the country. I only have two weeks to travel, where in Mexico should I go? Any sights/places I shouldn't miss?

Any advice on travelling alone in Mexico as a young woman?

Thanks everyone!
Feb 6th, 2009, 03:53 AM

My best trip ever was San Cristobal, Agua Azul, Palenque, Merida, and Isla Mujeres. I flew into Tuxtla-Gutierrez and out of Cancun. My trip was ten days. You could add Chichen Itza and Valladolid in the amount of time you have.

Mexico City, Puebla, and Oaxaca are another good combination.

Are you looking for beach, colonial towns, ruins, or all of the above?
Feb 6th, 2009, 06:12 AM

Review your Sate Department

Consular Advisories for a heads up.

Choose top hotels/hostels

in good areas

dress to blend no bling...

no cameras laptops etc.

bring nice pocket digital only

money belt buddy system...

Mexico sort of a big place

impossible to do it all in 2 weeks

would focus on an area or 2 you like

Have fun,

Feb 6th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Fodor's just published a decent guidebook that could get you started "Mexico 2009". It has suggested itinerary all mapped out for you starting in Mexico City, and including options for going in several directions from there.

Mexico is a huge and incredibly diverse country, your's is a VERY hard question to answer! You could go to the colonial cities high in the mountains, beach towns on several coasts (Caribbean, Pacific, Sea of Cortez, Gulf of Mexico), urban centers like Mexico City or Guadalajara, remote regions...

Traveling solo, female advice is same as anywhere... keep your wits about you, have your finances in order and carry safely, use your intuition and don't get yourself into precarious situations. Local people in Mexico for the most part are warm, helpful, and welcoming.

If you don't speak Spanish, sign up for a class immediately (an 8 to 10-week one aimed at tourist use). It is not necessary to speak Spanish to travel in Mexico, but if you can at least understand some pleasantries (hello, good morning, thank you, etc.) and basics (numbers, directions, food words, etc.) it's a bit smoother.
Feb 9th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! To answer Cimbrone's question: ideally I'd like to see a bit of everything; but I'm not looking for a relaxing holiday - I want to explore the country - so I doubt I'll spend too long on the beaches.

What if I were to divide my stay into 2 week-long segments in 2 different areas? Any ideas? Suggestions?

At the moment I'm doing a lot of research on the country to get an idea of where I'd like to go, but I'd appreciate others' input.
Feb 9th, 2009, 03:55 AM

Well, the 1st leg could be Mexico City, Queretaro, San Miguel de Allende, and Guanajuato. Or Mexico City and Puebla/Cholula. You could then fly out of Mexico City to Tuxtla Guttierez and do San Cristobal and Palenque and then bus down to the Yucatan or just fly Mexico City to Cancun and do the Yucatan.

The possibilities are endless.

Feb 9th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!! That sounds great! You've been a real help!

Anyone else have other ideas they would recommend? Any great experiences in other parts of the country?
Feb 16th, 2009, 08:34 AM

I wish I could be of more help, because I love Mexico, and do travel there solo. But all my favorite destinations involve a beach!
Feb 19th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

I love beaches too, but for this trip I'm more interested in experiencing the culture and history of the country. I'll definitely visit the beach if I travel near one, what I meant was: I won't spend days lying on the beach and sun-tanning, I can do that at home! What are your favourite destinations, beaches included!
Feb 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Puerto Vallarta, La Paz, Cabo San Lucas are my personal favorites (I've made 21 trips to date between just these destinations).

For "culture and history of the country" I'd look into some of the inland mountain colonial towns around Mexico City.