Mexico City Hotel

Jul 11th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Mexico City Hotel

Need help out there for hotel advice in Mexico City this weekend. Which is best choice W, Hotel Habita, or J.W. marriott? Or is there a better choice for a Hip Hotel in a good location? Thanks in Advance!
Traveling 101
Jul 11th, 2004, 04:00 PM

Although affiliated with a US company, the hotel Majestic, right on the zocalo, with roof top cafe and rooms with the same view, should not be missed, although expensive last year at 80US a double? depends on how long you will be there. If just for a night or two, the splurge is well worhh the cost.
Jul 11th, 2004, 05:27 PM

I'd pick the W over the Habita because I like the location a bit better - lots of people out at night in the immediate area, so some walking around is possible. The Marriott is right next door to the W, but falls far behind on the hipness scale. I do not like the Zocalo area at night.
Jul 11th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Lovesprada- Thanks for your input on the hotel choices. Having never been to Mexico City, what @ the Zocalo area do you not like at night? The only reason we thought @ Habita was that it had a pool, which the W doesn't. Is there any other input you might could offer to us on our stay. Thanks again for your time!
Jul 12th, 2004, 08:19 AM

the JW Marriott in Polanco does have a swimming pool and nice gym. Located in very nice, upscale neighborhood, kind of far away from major attractions.
Jul 12th, 2004, 10:15 AM

The Zocalo area is interesting to visit in the daytime, but a little too "rough around the edges" to be somewhere I want to spend my evenings. To me authentic doesn't have to mean downscale.

Another way to make the hotel choice is that you can stay at W's in a lot of places, but I think there is only one Habita. 50/50 on whether or not it will be warm enough to use the pool - this past weekend it was warm enough on Saturday, but didn't get above 15 degrees on Sunday.

Although the bar at the W still has the velvet rope out front every night, so if you're looking for hip....

Also, two of my favorite places to eat are very near the W. MP Cafe Bistro (on Andres Bello) is kind of Asian/Mexican fusion, and Estrella de Galicia (directly across from the W) is an informal but fun Spanish tapas bar
Jul 13th, 2004, 12:28 PM

Zocalo area:
Holiday Inn express Zocalo on 5 de Mayo street, great service and a rooftop restaurant with great sights to Zocalo and Cathedral area.

Zona Rosa area: Hotel Imperial it's a bit more chic, and is on Reforma Street so it's easy access to everything.
Jul 14th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Would recommend the Polanco area for hotel over Zona Rosa, a little tired and VERY touristy, or zocalo area, which is a little deserted at night for my taste. Polanco has GREAT restaurants, and is walking distance to the Chapultepec Park museums, ie Anthropology museum, etc. JW Marriott may not be hip, but rooms are very comfortable and service is great. The rooftop pool is also very nice.