Mexico City hotel - safety 1st

Feb 13th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Mexico City hotel - safety 1st

I'm trying to book a Mexico City hotel for 2 nights. We'll be in an area outside of Mexico city for several weeks but flying in and out of Mexico City.

At the end of our time in Mexico we will have 2 nights in Mexico City before returning to the U.S. We'll be getting to the hotel late on Friday and have all day on Saturday and fly out on Sunday morning.

I've been to Mexico City before, but my wife hasn't. There are a couple of things I want to take her to see on that Saturday in the city and we can just plan to have a driver for the day. Primarily, we're looking for a place that's safe and very Americanized - we'll be experiencing "real" Mexico for a whole month and just wanting to feel very comfortable and safe. Something decent distance from airport and areas of the city for a little sight-seeing (not necessarily walking distance).

I would like to keep it around $100/night. I can book the Gran Melia Mexico Reforma, NH Mexico City, and Holiday Inn Plaza Dali for around or under $100/night. They all get good reviews on travel sites.

Any thoughts/recommendations? I'll take suggestions of other places to check, too.
Feb 13th, 2007, 10:14 AM

I have been traveling to Mexico City for over 30 years, and have stayed at hotels in the Zona Rosa area, in Centro around the zocalo, and more recently in Polanco. I can really recommend trying Priceline for Mexico City, bidding only at the 4-star level. We usually get the JW Marriott for around $70-$80 per night, and this is a FANTASTIC hotel. Once or twice we have gotten the Maria Isabella Sheraton instead, which we don't like as well but which is still very nice.

I would recommend the Polanco area, and there are several hotels in the area where the Marriott is, opposite Chapultepac Park (the W, Presidente, etc). A more budget-friendly but still Americanized hotel is the Maria Christina, on Rio Lerma, near the American Embassy across Reforma from the Zona Rosa. This hotel has a small garden area that is very pleasant, and I particularly have liked their drivers. Request a room in the new wing.
Feb 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

A little leary of Priceline because I've had good and bad experiences.

Are you familiar with the Gran Melia hotel?
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

I went with your tip and tried Priceline. I checked some things on biddingfortravel.com and saw a good history of priceline with the JW Marriott.

I got the JW Marriott for $72/night.

Thanks for the tip!
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:24 PM

You will LOVE the JW Marriott. They could not be nicer there, and the rooms are absolutely fantastic. They also have a very nice rooftop pool. For a little bit of Paris in Mexico City, you might try the Au Pied de Cochon, just down the street in the Presidente Hotel. Monica Patino's, at the other end of the street is also very nice.
Feb 14th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

It's been 11 years since I was there. I want to take my wife to see the Basilica, and I would like for her to see the presidential palace area - isn't that there, too? It's so hard to remember stuff from 11 years ago. Do you know a driver that you would recommend for getting around to see everything?

Does the JW have a transfer shuttle to the airport?
Feb 14th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

There were a couple restaurants we ate at that summer that I wish I could remember! One was a nice steakhouse type of place, and they brought out little grills to put on the table and would bring your steak out and put it on the grill to keep it warm while you ate.

The other restaurant was a taco restaurant - had the meet roasting in the front of the store and then they would shave the meat into a big porcelain dish and bring it to the table. I just remember having some kind of shaved pork in the taco with pineapple and some kind of cheese - wow, was it great. But too many years ago...
Feb 14th, 2007, 12:45 PM

We stayed at the JW Marriott via Priceline a couple of years ago. The stay was fantastic. It seemed like a reasonably ok area to walk around in. We found a little coffee place nearby that we liked, also a restaurant called Los Almendros that had a terrific Sunday brunch. We had a nice dinner there, too. For tourism, that area is close to the anthropology museum.

The hotel staff was extremely solicitous. As in other places, taxis that the hotel arranged cost a bit extra. At some point we did meet a driver who we later hired to take us around for a day, also to take us to the airport. Don't think I still have his info.

Not that you still need this info, but in case a future searcher is interested: We changed hotels after a few days at the JW, in order to get a feel for another part of the city. We finished our stay in a room facing the Zocalo at the Holiday Inn Express. Can't get more central than that! A short trip to the airport, too - much closer than the JW had been. We felt comfortable walking around at night - but not too late.
Feb 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM

We just used the drivers at the hotel. Yes, I believe the presidential palace is in Chapultepac Park somewhere, but its a big park! From the JW's rooftop pool area, you can look across the street at some huge auditorium type thing with a gigantic Mexican flag. There are a few of the type of steakhouse you describe. We went to one called Rincon Argentino on Presidente Masaryk street in the Polanco area. There is a sort of taco stand restaurant around the corner from the Maria Isabella Sheraton that has been there for MANY years--very cheap and wonderful tacos. Another place we enjoyed eating, Casa de la Sirena, overlooked the zocalo--the second floor terrace was very romantic in the evening.
Feb 14th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it!