Mexico beaches- your favorite & why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO and I are thinking of going there for our honeymoon Dec31-Jan7. (we know, very busy time, but it cant be helped *sigh*) I have never been to Mexico (even though I've lived in Arizona my whole life!) so I'm just curious what beaches you like the best and why? I don't really know what there is to see & do there besides lounge on the beach Thanks!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Yikes, I just did a board search for "Mexico beach honeymoon" and got a lot of threads! *blushes* So I'll just busy myself reading those. Feel free to still give your input if you'd like!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Puerto Vallarta!!!!! Because it's a fabulous town. Plenty to do besides lounge on the beach. I've posted loads about PV here on Fodors, I'm sure you'll come across my many suggestions.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:13 PM
gdy

North Beach on Isla Mujeres is my favorite. It has soft white sand and turquoise water that gradually deepens. You can go out quite a ways before you're up to your waist.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:34 PM

The Mayan Riviera (Caribbean Sea) side below Cancun, because it has cool white sand, clear turquoise water. I would avoid the Cancun area because it is so Americanzied now and is party central, unless you don't mind that. In this area of Mexico there is so much to do if you want. There are the Mayan ruins to explore, cenotes to swim and explore and eco/water parks and shopping if you so desire.

The Pacific Ocean side of Mexico is nice, but the beaches are not nearly as pretty nor is the sand white and the water is not as turquoise.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
true, true about west coast beaches vs caribbean ones. but for me the "favorite" part comes from the authentic, vibrant, true working Mexican town, that is Puerto Vallarta. even if all the tourists went home, they'd still be a city (which is more than can be said for Cancun).

Especially since the OP mentioned something to do *besides* lounge on the beach, PV came to mind.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:50 AM

The town on Isla Mujeres is very nice and authentic as well (at least it was when we were there five years ago). Also, Playa del Carmen comes to mind - great atmosphere in town - lots of shops and great restaurants and bars - it also has nice beaches and NO high rises. You can check out PDC at www.playadelcarmeninfo.com. Someone also posted the other day that there is a new Isla Mujeres website that has revived the Isla forum. The old website (www.isla-mujeres.net) is still very informative - it just doesn't have a forum. If I were going to Isla for my honeymoon - I would definitely check out Secrets - it looks awesome. Have fun wherever you decide to go!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:12 AM

plenty to do on the Carribean side, too! Tulum's my favorite beach ever! The aqua ocean that is as beautiful in reality as in your dreams. And Enjoy the ruins, then visit Chichen Itza, Coba, or:

Browse shops and people watch in Playa del Carmen. Visit Isla Mujeres, snorkel in Cozumel, the list goes on & on...
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:58 AM

Another vote for Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres. Such a fantastic, warm, safe, beautiful beach and fun, romantic beach bars and restaurants. Renting a golf cart to explore is great too.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 01:07 PM

The hotel on Isla Mujeres that PAGirl is talking about is Secreto. It is a beautiful hotel, that is currently under renovation, but should be completed by Christmas.

I have seen the new Isla Mujeres site, and the Message Board is growing. The name is http://www.islatravelers.com

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 02:45 PM

Tulum is perfect and romantic. Secluded Cabanas are neat and plentiful to find. Cabanas Tulum are in a great location. Visit Tulum and Coba ruins. If you like snorkeling there is no better than Cozumel and the El Presidente. It is perfect for swimming or snorkeling right off their beach front. They might be pricey but well worth it. Puerto Vallarta, my favorite place (I have a condo) does not have the perfect beach as does Cozumel, Tulum or anywhere on the Mayan Riviera. However, PV has everything else one could want. In PV one should take the "Caletas" tour where they have snorkeling from the beach and a very fun day package. If your priority is the white sand beach and secluded romanticism you must choose Cozumel or Tulum. All are wonderful places and you will want to visit all over the years to come.