Search

Maroma Resort

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:04 PM
chris

Maroma Resort

We've just returned from a wonderful week at the Hotel Maroma and would be happy to answer any questions.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:59 AM
carol

would love to hear all about it. am thinking of making it our anniversary destination next year. are the rooms as nice as the pictures? food? beach? staff? activities? is it easy to get to? did you use an agent or book yourself? worth the price? any info would be great.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:57 AM
chris

I think Maroma would be wonderful as an Anniversary destination because they really focus on romance. Every night there are candles lit in the rooms and they offer a special dinner where you and your loved on can dine on the beach with candles lighting the path to your table. The "No Kids" is really a nice treat. I purchased my package from Luxury Link which saved me about 50% off of the published rates. The hotel is approximately a 25 minute drive from the Cancun airport. <BR><BR>The food is really good. A nice touch is you can eat pretty much whenever you want. Meaning the restuarant doesn't close between lunch and dinner or breakfast and lunch. There is also great beach service.<BR><BR>Everyone was extremely friendly. The hotel offers at least one snorkel tour per day and there are various spa options. If you have received information on their spa offerings, be advised they have cancelled a significant number of their offerings.<BR><BR>The Hotel itself is in the jungle, which its really neat to see peacocks and iguana roaming around. The Iberostar is far enough away that it has virtually no effect on the Hotel. There is another Hotel, mainly visited by Italian tourists approximately 3/10's of a mile away, which does cause some foot traffic along the beach in front of Maroma. Definitely bareable though. The rooms themselves are definitely "Mexican" in style. If you've ever travelled to Mexico before I'm sure you'll know what I mean. They are not luxurious, you won't find marble here. Several times during our trip we had no water (only for about 10 minutes max.) and you can not drink the water out of the sink, even to brush your teeth. We had a Premium room which was supposed to have a partial ocean view, but we could not see the ocean. If this is a priority, please let me know and I'll tell you which room numbers to request. At a minimum you'll want a room on the third floor which has a much larger balcony.<BR><BR>We've been to Anguilla, St. John, Turks & Caicos, Cozumel, St. Lucia, Cayman Islands .. I would definitely go back to the Maroma. <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:37 AM
sally

Can you tell us what rooms are closer to the beach, this is with an ocean view but also with privacy. How was the plunge pool? Food & drink prices? Was there a frig in the room for your own beer/wine? Also what was the beach attire in that area, some or mostly topless? Love to hear more. Did they have kayaks or sailboats? Thanks for any info.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:44 PM
Chris

I have in mind room number 2 or 4 for the next time we go. Both rooms are on the top floor of the closest building to the beach. The hotel has a nice pool (not by the beach) and a whirlpool (not heated). We did not have a plunge pool in our unit. There was however, a small "pool" that we weren't sure what it was because it was filthy. There are no refrigerators in the rooms.<BR><BR>There are kayaks for your use. They have a fairly large Hobie but it must be taken out with the attendant. Windsurfing, kite surfing, and snorkel equipment is also available. As I had mentioned, the hotel next door is mainly occupied by Italians which means its about 50% topless. Besides myself, there was one other guest that went topless at Maroma.<BR><BR>Dinner prices were about $30 an entre. Breakfast was included in the price of the room. With lunch, dinner, 3 drinks each at the beach, wine or cocktail with dinner, always an appetizer and dessert, we spent $200 per day including tips for the two of us. Hope this helps. Chris

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Misia

What's the web address for the Luxery Link you apoke about? Do you happen to remember the name of the Hotel next door?

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Mindy

I am getting married in May of 2003 and have been looking to do it at Maroma Hotel. Everything I have read has been positive, but my mom went to a wedding last week and two people strongly disagreed. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this is a secluded romantic place for a wedding? Also, I need an AI or reasonably priced hotel for 35 guests near by that are flying in for the wedding. I was thinking of somewhere near PDC. Any info would be great!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:13 AM
chris

The web site for luxury link is www.luxurylink.com. The Hotel next door is called the Venti club (sp?). Approximately 2 miles from Maroma (next door) is the new Mayan Palace which is an all inclusive and brand new. I think Maroma would be perfect for a wedding. At night they lit up candles all over the property. I'm not sure where at Maroma the ceremonies are held. But the ambience certainly is romantic.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:02 AM
mindy

Thanks, Chris. I feel much better about booking my wedding there. They said they would have the wedding at a private villa. Now, I just need to decide if I should go through the hotel directly or hire a coordinator. Any suggestions anyone?<BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:28 AM
Ally

Mindy,<BR>You may want to consider Ikal Del Mar for your wedding. Fantastic, romantic place for a wedding and only 4 miles from Playa Del Carmen where there are tons of AI's for your guest. Just a thought.