Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires, safe, fun , a good base to see South America?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:13 PM
Smitty

Would appreciate input into whether it is safe and fun to live in B.A. for an extended period. In particular does it still have a great pedestrian atmosphere? If so what area? Recolta? <BR>Thanks

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:05 AM
rodraad

Quite simply NO<BR><BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 02:10 PM
info

Smitty,<BR><BR>Buenos Aires is not as safe as it used to be, when you could walk at 3 am anywhere without having a problem. But Recoleta is one of the safest areas in Buenos Aires, and you should not have any problem there. Just use your common sense, take some precautions and you will be fine.<BR><BR>Fun is a different issue. We are having problems, as I'm sure you are aware of, but still have the "latin spirit" that keeps us going. We still party a lot.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!<BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 02:34 AM
smitty

reodrad: Simply no , what?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Sue

Simply no, means that BA is not a good base for touring South America. Seems clear to me.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 03:18 AM
paul

I just returned from a 3 week stay in Argentina, 2 weeks in BsAs and a week in San Martin de los Andes.In BsAs I stayed in Recoleta in a great aparthotel on Azcuenaga, between Juncal and French. Near kioskos, bakeries, supermarkets, pharmacies, confeterias and restaurants, and small parks...in short, a very pedestrian friendly area....safety: In Recoleta if you are on restaurant row on Junin it is safe to walk virtually anytime....further off the beaten path, take a taxi at night but it is safe to walk during the day.<BR><BR>Overall....Recoleta is a great place to stay....but for an extended period you might want to consider Belgrano or some areas of Palermo (las canitas for example)....both are very pedestrian friendly, and only a short subway ride away from downtown....<BR><BR>If you want to escape the city, San Martin de los Andes offers an "Alpine" setting with great skiing and breathtaking scenery......

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:39 PM
Smitty

Thanks for your input.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:22 PM
monica

I was concerned about the TV reports, but I only saw a couple of peaceful demonstrations against banks during my stay. I must admit that I even found them amusing - no offense to the locals-I know they have a very bad problem with banks. On the other hand, I live in another Latin America country where turmoil is the usual.