Luxury hotel - Manuel Antonio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eight of us are going to CR and thinking about staying in the Manuel Antonio area. We are two families (parents in their fifties and kids in their early twenties). What luxury hotels in the area do you recommend for comfort, food, and activities?
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:52 AM
Iza

We liked Si Como No a lot when we stayed there a few years ago. We found the rooms very comfortable and the food very good in both restaurants (one formal, one casual by the pool). They have a good selection of day trips and activities available. The rooms have great ocean and jungle views. The hotel does not have TVs but there is a movie theater showing movies each night.

From other reports it sounds like Tulemar Bungalows, Hotel Parador and Makanda by the Sea are great upscale choices in Manuel Antonio as well.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 11:24 AM
ponyboy

would have to agree on Si Como No- the food was excellent and we especially liked the adults only pool- most of the tours are universal between hotels as they use the same companies. There are quite a few "upscale" choices in Manuel Antonio but SCN seemed to get everything right

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 07:09 AM

We've stayed at both Si Como No and Makanda. I'd say Makanda feels a bit more upscale. It's also much smaller. You won't go wrong with either place. Jean
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 07:53 AM

We have stayed at both SCN and Makanda. We liked Makanda a LOT more. Very quiet, beautiful. The pool and service and food are excellent.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 11:12 AM

We really enjoyed La Mariposa, the Villas are fantastic. There is a hammock and a hot tub on your balcony overlooking the rain forest and Pacific. Si Como looked nice. We ate at Makanda (only feet from La Mariposa) poolside in a tent, it is great at night. I don't think you can go wrong at any of these places! Also, you have to go to Cafe Milagro. The coffee is great, they roast it themselves and the espresso chocolate chip milkshake is euphoric! The breakfast is really great at a great price.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:01 AM

Another vote for La Mariposa. Also had a friend stay there this summer and she was equally pleased. Loved sitting by the pool with a beverage from the poolside bar. Beautiful views. Close to restaurants. Agree with recommendation on Cafe Milagro.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:25 AM

If it were just the parents going, I'd say 100% Makanda, but because of the early 20yr olds, I'd say definitely La Mariposa or Si Como No. I've stayed at all 3 - Makanda being my favourite, but because it's incredibly quiet, peaceful and romantic. If u decide to do Si Como No, make sure u have a sunset cocktail at Mariposa and maybe have dinner at Makanda.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:10 AM

Cassidy: Since you've stayed at those 3 MA hotels, I assume you know CR fairly well. I hope you can suggest something for us. We'll be traveling (driver) from Arenal to Makanda (3 nights at Makanda) and because of the long drive, we'd hoped to stop for a couple of nights somewhere in between. Because we'd like a luxury property (insofar as possible), we'd thought Villa Caletas. But VC is out because they don't have king beds (we're resltelss sleepers). Do you know of anywhere else along that route where it would be pleasant to spend a couple of nights, so that we could break up the trip and maybe do some other kinds of activities? (We'd thought of doing a Tarcoles River tour from Caletas.) Los Suenos doesn't sound appealing to us bec the beach isn't good-- wer'e not "pool people." Thank you!

P.S. We like peace and quiet and beauty. And hiking. We're in our 60's/70's.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:44 AM

Poss, I probably shouldn't butt in here, but having traveled in this area many times, I honestly would have to say that there aren't that many luxury choices in between your two locations (especially since you are wanting a beach) besides Los Suenos and Villas Caletas. If you feel the need to break up the drive and must have a king sized bed (they aren't all that common in CR!) and if Los Suenos can offer you a king sized bed, you might want to stay there.

The problem is that, in driving down from Arenal, the first beach area you come to is near Puntarenas. From there on down to Manuel Antonio, you simply are not going to find great beaches until you get to MA. Los Suenos and Villas Caletas are the only two places between Arenal and MA (to my knowledge) that are going to offer you the level of luxury that you are seeking. Costa Rica is generally not a luxury sort of place, although you will find luxury accomodations in the more popular areas such as Manuel Antonio. Hope this helps. I understand your dilemma. We just sleep in separate beds if we can't find king or queen

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:06 PM

Shillmac-- Thanks (as always) for replying. I don't care at all if the place where we stay is a beach resort. (We go to the Caribbean often-- and to Hawaii, tho less often-- and I suspect that none of the beaches in CR is quite as handsome as the best Caribbean beaches anyway. It's not really what we're going to CR for..) What I meant abt Los Suenos was just that it seemed odd to stay at a place (and pay for a place) that was, in fact, on the beach-- but when, by all reports, the beach is neither very handsome nor good for swimming (or snorkeling). I know that Caletas, e.g. is not really on a beach, and that doesn't matter because it's supposed to be beautiful. As for the 2 bed thing-- I agree, i.e. if we want to stay in a certain place that doesn't have a king (alas, we can't do queens), we don't mind sleeping for a night or two in separate beds; it's what we just did in a Bryce Canyon cabin and a Grand Canyon, north rim cabin--GREAT trip!...) Caletas, however, doesn't have 2 beds-- only 1 queen-- in the category room we want, viz. one of the suites (or villas-- I can't remember what it's called) that has good privacy and ocean view. By the way, all the other accommodations that we're booked for do, in fact, have king bed: Peace Lodge, Arenal Observatory Lodge, Makanda, and Xandari. At least that's what I've been told: I hope the info is correct! Thanks again for your in-put.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:27 PM

I haven't checked Villas Caletas website, and am surprised that there is just one bed per room. I would think, since it is a favorite location for weddings, that they would have more to offer bed-wise! Don't worry if you can't find a place in between. The drive really isn't all that bad! There is so much to look at, the time seems to go by pretty fast. Your driver will be pointing out all kinds of things, I'm sure! You'll enjoy the Rio Tarcoles.