Low fares to Costa Rica on Spirit Airlines

Jan 25th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Low fares to Costa Rica on Spirit Airlines

Saw this on amcostarica.com. Real low fares to SJO (from Tampa it's just under $300). Not real familiar with them or the other cities they fly from, I think the fare is good for another 10 days or until seats are gone.

Anyone have any dealings with them? I was going to spend $680 on AA to fly into Liberia and out of SJO but this has got me seriously thinking. Am a little hesitant though - would love to know anyone's good or bad experiences.
Jan 25th, 2007, 02:23 PM

I have flown Spirit from NY to Fla, and they had were very good. No frills, but the price was right.
Jan 25th, 2007, 03:46 PM

They are based out of Fort Lauderdale. We use them all the time for flights from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale. Pretty efficient. Get on their mailing list even if you don't use them for CR. They actually of 5 cent 5 dollar and 10 dollar each way specials (domestic of course).
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:50 PM

Till 11:59 tonight (1/25) Spirit is offering $.08 from Ft. Lauderdale to SJO. . .. wish I could use!
Jan 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM

That $0.08 each way had about $35 of tax tacked on to it, so not too bad. Until February 7, you can book each way for $64, with taxes comes to about $199.

I checked into it for my June travel to CR ( and going again in July, 3 weeks each trip) and the fare is good for the dates I need, but I still have to get from OKC to Ft. Lauderdale. . .even if I could find a good deal (which I probably could if I looked hard enough), sometimes it's just a lot easier to get to Dallas for the AA direct flight or Houston for the Continental direct flight.

I always end up weighing how much time I'll spend traveling with what I'm saving. . .and the saved time always seems more attractive that the saved $$! But for those folks who live in or near Ft. Lauderdale--heck of a deal.

Tully, if you can get it, I'd go for it! Can you get to FLL reasonably?
Jan 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

jill they actually fly out of Tampa, it comes to $292 from Tampa-FLL-SJO.

But, although I haven't booked my AA airfare, I think I'm going to pass on Spirit. Since I'm going to Rincon area first, that's $80 I'll have to spend to get to Liberia, plus getting to my hotel around 5pm instead of around 1pm. So 4 hours lost and extra traveling added in, total savings now down to $280. That's not awful, but I guess the kicker for me is Spirit, from what I can find online, if they suddenly cancel your flight they can't/won't book you on another flight - they have no affiliations with the others, and that makes me nervous.

Also, something odd on their site....my travel dates are May 4th - 18th, both are Fridays/ Yet on Spirit's site they say they will fly only 3 days a week (not Friday) and yet their site still gave me a route & pricing. Weird.

So thanks all for the input into Spirit but I think for now I'll pay more for my little bit of peace of mind.
Jan 26th, 2007, 04:02 AM

I don't blame you at all, all things considered. That IS weird about the dates. They've been around, what, a coule of years--or is it longer? I haven't heard much about them either, good or bad. That's probably in their favor, but still. . .

Jan 26th, 2007, 09:13 AM

They started out with mainly New York and Chicago routes to Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and a few other major Florida cities. All of the sudden, last year maybe, they started adding international flights. I have found their domestic flights to be well-priced and on time. Never flown them international.