Search

Los Cabos Honeymoon hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Cabos Honeymoon hotel

Hi all,
My fiance and I finally agreed on Los Cabos as our honeymoon destination. We wanted a tropical honeymoon, not in the US, and somewhere neither of us has been so that is how we decided.

Now comes the hard part--we can't decide if we'd be better off if our priority should be all-inlcusive resort, or a nice resort near the town, not all-inclusive. We are late 20s, and our intent is basically during the day we want to lounge/read by beach and pool with some drinks, and have the option of some activities if we wanted (tennis, snorkeling, etc). Now the evening is the difficult part. We figure if we were to stay in an all inclusive, we'd still probably want to venture into town at least 2-3 nights out of our 7 (more for nightlife then dinner even).

So for never being there before, we are not sure what the prices are like in the town and what is more favorable when people vacation in Cabo. Are we better off picking an all-inclusive and cab it to the town at night or a regular hotel and do dinner/night in the town? is the town even very lively at night? Just trying to figure out if its more a resort place or not. Hard to grasp the atmosphere, so any advice you can give i would appreciate.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
First, Los Cabos is the desert tropics, not green tropics. If you are looking for lots of trees and green, Los Cabos is not it.

We are leaving later this week for Los Cabos and staying at the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. It is not in the town of CSL but has a shuttle bus to its sister resorts (Rose and Blanco) in town if you want more action. PBSB also has an all adult resort next door, Pacifica, which is very nice, no kids and I would pick for a honeymoon. Again not right in town, but close enough that you can use the shuttle or cab fare will not kill you.

I have never done AI, but Cabo has plenty of restaurants to choose from at various prices, so we never felt AI was necessary. I think it all depends how much you eat and drink.

Check over at Tripadvisor forum for more Cabo info.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 11:13 AM

If I were to go to Los Cabos for a honeymoon and I had the budget for it, I would stay here:

http://www.capellacabo.com/

Regardless of whether you stay there or not, I highly recommend a meal (if you like seafood) at El Farallon at Capella.

Ditto the opinion on AI vs regular hotel ... Cabo has a ton of restaurants in any price range.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 11:44 AM

There are so many places to stay in San Lucas and in San Jose, with hotels all the way between, it's about 30 minute drive between cities, prices vary btwn $150-$1000+/night, where do I start?
I guess it really depends on how much you want to spend? Landing in San Jose airport, the town itself is 5 minutes drive, small, cozy and not much action after 10pm, couple of discos/bars, try Hooters near civic plaza, upstairs, you'll hear it, big screen sports, $1/beers all day. Costs about $35 one way in a cab from San Jose to San Lucas, where there's lots of action after dark, but in San Lucas you get lots of cruise boat tourists in the afternoons, prices also rise in the stores at this time, more people too, but close to marina & boats for fishing, snorkeling, sunset cruises. What you want is likely what Michelle (previous post) is saying, not too far from town so you don't spend all your money on taxi's, but close to Medano beach, only place where you can swim...Pacific ocean tides are very strong. Take a look at the places/prices at
http://www.cabovillas.com
might help you out. Remember, it's really HOT in this area, so walking for long periods of time is not recommended for gringos. We've been 5 times to Los Cabos, stayed once at Villa del Palmar (nice, some w/kitchenettes, you don't have to do AI, they have a bistro/store on site or go to Costco or Walmart, right on Medano beach so jet-ski's & boats, kids everywhere at pool, but close to San Lucas night life), once at a private rental at Terrasol on Pacific side
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p309199
(Craig Harrison is really nice, "honeymoon atmosphere" in a 1 bedroom condo w/only upper terrace in the complex with hammock & large mattress to watch the stars, close enough to walk to marina & downtown San Lucas, hill is pretty steep going up), food at the swim up bar is great, some are owned & some rented, not many people when we went in October...and we also have a timeshare in San Jose...
Park Royal, which can also be rented by anyone not a member...it's quiet there, not on the beach, but on the golf course, 2 pools, very clean & not many people, you can get a kitchenette, walk to MegaMart for supplies or family run restaurant is great place to eat.
http://www.parkroyalcabohotel.com/
You can rent a car, much cheaper than taxis, just don't drive the highway at night (cows sleep on the road), go to Santa Maria bay for snorkeling, or up to Todos Santos for the day, plan to come back before nightfall, you can see Hotel California there & lots of shopping. If your hotel does not offer airport transfers, or you want a private ride anywhere, try Brown's Shuttle, they are great, SUV w/English speaking driver, a/c (muy importato), and he even stopped at Walmart for us on the way into San Lucas...costs almost the same as taxis from the airport to San Lucas..$70/one way + tip, and on the way home he gave us ice cold beers. You can also rent limos or vans, private chef service, etc. Check it out!
http://www.brownsprivateservices.com
So much to tell you, but you'll have fun guaranteed!
Just watch out for timeshare sharks at the airport, remember, no ride is free, they want you to go on their presentation, just say "No, Gracias", and get outside quick!
Congratulations Alicia & no matter where you stay in Cabo, if you've been there once, you'll be there twice!
Happy trip!
Diane from Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 01:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Everyone's suggestions are helpful. The first thing to understand about "Los Cabos" is the lay of the land (you need a map). There's the airport, San Jose del Cabo, the tourist "Corridor" then the town of Cabo San Lucas. I only know Cabo, but loved it. There are ALL kinds of great restaurants in ALL kinds of price ranges. Google Misiones de Kino and Capo San Giovanni to see my two favorites.

Just depends what you want for your honeymoon. For me, regardless of the reason for the vacation, I personally like to be walking distance to downtown CSL so would pick somewhere on Medano or Solmar beaches.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

I just wanted to THANK YOU all for taking the time to reply and help us out. I have alot of info to look into now, and will gladly being doing so. I will be back in touch after we make so more decisions and narrow it down a bit to hear your thoughts. I am very excited to do all the research you guys suggested and appreciate the advice given

Thank you!!!