Notices

Cabo San Lucas

Old Aug 7th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabo San Lucas

Have booked flights using miles from east coast US to Cabo San Lucas in early Dec.
this is our first trip to western Mexico, in the past we have always gone to Cancun area and other Caribbean island All Inclusives.
We are wondering if it would be better to just go without the all-inclusive in Cabo? we were going to spend some either fishing or whale watching
interested in opinions regarding all inclusive or not, safety concerns, recommendations of where to stay, etc

thanks
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 09:16 AM

There are no "safety concern" in Cabo San Lucas.

The things to understand there, and I think what's most important for the AI or not question, is the layout. The town of SCL is 29 miles from the airport. There is a "corridor" of resorts that stretches a long length of the ocean before you'd come to the town.

So if you pick a resort property a ways out the corridor, then you'd probably want to go All Inclusive. But if you stay in town CSL (the main beach is called Medano) then there are loads of restaurants and bars you could walk to.

I stayed at a budget Mexican hotel right in town so have no personal resort experience. But you can look at some place like Casa Dorado on Medano for a non-AI and to get a feel for that it would be like staying there. You wouldn't need a car.

For the resorts out "the Corridor" you might feel the need to have one?
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 12:54 PM

Los Cabos includes San Jose del Cabo, the Corridor, and Cabo San Lucas. We go just about every year in November or Early December. When our daughter was young, we went during spring break.

I have stayed in and near San Jose. My Husband always HAS TO HAVE a car. Staying near San Jose, this has worked well and has been useful, particularly if you have more than the 2 of you. The car was a waste of money when we have stayed in CSL. San Jose is a nice town with shopping , restaurants, bars, an Art Walk on Thursday evenings. Not a party town.

I have also stayed in CSL at Pueblo Bonito Blanco. Friends like Villa del Palmar. These are on Medano Beach, the only safe swimming beach in the area. Walkable to CSL restaurants, shopping and nightlife. I also stay ay Sunset Beach on the Pacific side. We like the isolation, away from the crowd, but beaches are not safe for swimming. Taxi rides run about $12 each way to town. These resorts have AI option, but we never do it. No need. We would rather go to town for a good meal at night etc. I think it is ok for big eaters and drinkers.

December can be a little cool at night, so bring a light sweater. If you go fishing, bring a sweatshirt. The whales will just be arriving. You may also be able to catch a baby turtle release. We did it last November. So fun and interesting

https://www.cabo-outfitters.com/tour...e-release.html

We also did a sunset jazz cruise. So nice. Same out fit as Pez Gato and Tropi cat.

Cabo waters are colder than the Carribean and I found the snorkeling not that great in comparison. However, Cabo Pulmo is supposed to be great, but we have never been.

Lots of choices and price points.
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 10:26 AM

Great advice so far. The most important decision on the AI is "What do you plan on doing most?".
I personally am not an AI guy, however many people come to relax and hang out. If you are planning to eat at least twice on property each day, then it's worth looking at the AI. Many properties will offer a short term AI like a 4 day option which can be a nice solution.

There are great properties all over the place, and as suze mentioned, San Jose del Cabo is more relaxed than Cabo San Lucas.

Beach front properties that may suit could include the Villas Group Properties, Solmar and Playa Grande, Cascadas (an older property, but very quaint on the beach), Casa Dorada or ME Cabo or even Cabo Villas. One step back from the water is Hotel Bahia Cabo (a great option).

There are so many excursions to take part in, with a huge variety of operators. December is a great time to see whales, and even head to La Paz for the Whale Sharks. Fishing is typically slower in December, than other times in the year. You'll find a variety of discount tours in cabo online.

I always recommend a sunset cruise to take in the arch, sunset and probably see a whale or two also (in season). There are a huge variety available. Some include dinner, some are to party and some are pure relaxation.
Taxis are expensive here, so if you decide to stay in the Corridor, then I recommend renting a car. Apart from that, in Cabo, you'll be able to walk or bike taxi to many excellent restaurants.