Looking for good snorkeling, beach, and pyramids

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for good snorkeling, beach, and pyramids

We're a family of four- two daughters 23 & 26. Probably a last vacation before they fly the nest. We've done Hawaii lots, but never been to Mexico. We have always wanted to see ruins in Mexico, so think we'd like to try there. We need a good beach with snorkeling too. Would appreciate suggestions as to locale and lodging.
Thanks, J
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:33 AM

For great snorkelling right off the beach it's hard to beat Akumal. There are small hotels, condos, and a few AI's along Akumal Bay (sandy bottom), and Half Moon Bay (coral and rocky bottom). If you're looking for a basic, clean hotel right on the beach, Vista del Mar is great. The one drawback to Akumal is that it's pretty low key, not too much to do at night. You might also want to spend a few nights in Playa del Carmen, which has a nice white sand beach, and tons of nightlife and shopping - however it doesn't have the concrete high rise feel that Cancun does. If you want pyramids and ruins, Coba is about 40 minutes from Akumal, and Tulum is even less. Go to locogringo.com for lots of ideas.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:58 AM

Akumal may be your best bet. I'm not sure if you are looking for a hotel, all-inclusive or condo...but, you can find all of those in and around Akumal.

Currently, I'm smitten with Las Casitas (haven't stayed yet), but it would be ideal for your situation. The girls could have their own room with seperate beds and you in the other room. It's technically a condo.

Ruins close by are Tulum, Coba, Muyil, Xel-Ha. Chichen Itza is a long trip, but we all do it.

Snorkling is great all around Akumal. The plus with Las Casitas is that it's on a sandy beach for nice water entry.

Restaurants are w/in easy walking distance.

Check out locogringo as zootsi said - it's full of info for this area. And be sure to look at the aerial photos.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Another vote for Akumal
snorkeling, nice beach, reasonable proximity to ruins, variety of accomodation available
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Chitzen Itza is a bit far from Cancun but the buses are great. If you go to Tulum, it is somewhat dissappointing. Chitzen Itza is magnificant! Worth the trip. As for easy snorkeling and beautiful waters, Xel-Ha and Xcaret are two natural waterparks that have phenomenal water life. I had a sting ray swim right under me!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM

I wouldn't call Xelha and Xcaret "natural". They are Disneyland for people who haven't snorkeled before (not that that is bad if it is what you like).
Akumal and Cozumel have actual natural snorkeling.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

All this good advice is very helpful. Now, where's a good place to stay in Akumal? We would like to just walk out into the water from our front door to snorkel? Is that possible? We also want air condition and very clean. I'm afraid we're very spoiled.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Did you look at Las Casitas?

http://www.locogringo.com/akumal/las...=Las%20Casitas

And...I was referring to the ruins at Xel-Ha on the west side of 307; not the Disneyfied-Xel-Ha snorkle park on the east side 307.

http://www.locogringo.com/past_spotlights/may2005.cfm
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:12 PM

All the suggestions are great, I have stayed in Akumal and walked into the water. BUT, to see ruins, Chichen Itza really is fantastic and a MUST SEE! It is not that big a deal to go by bus from the Cancun & PDC area. Also it is a very easy drive, good roads and about an hour from Cancun. Tulum beaches are plush, but not much snorkeling. Cozumel is on the mend and a great place to stay and rent a car and go around the island, snorkel, swim and still get a tour to Chichen Itza. I would NOT miss the big one and that is Chichen Itza. Coba and Tulum are nice, but nothing like Chichen Itza.