Akumal Info Needed

Old Dec 28th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Akumal Info Needed

We've never been to Akumal and we are looking for any information you all can send our way. We are staying at Las Casitas for 2 weeks in January 2010. We would love some advice on things to see and do. Also recommendations on restaurants, snorkeling, day trips, etc. I searched the Forums and the last info on Akumal was back in 2007....so I'm pretty sure some things have changed. Thanks for your info!
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 01:17 PM

Are you sure you typed Akumal in correctly for searching? I've done recent searches and found a fair amount of updated info for things to do near Akumal. We haven't been there so can't help you out, but are going in March. Try searching again, or even doing an advanced search, and hopefully someone will chime in here. You could also check with www.locogringo.com.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 06:01 AM

You may want to visit To do & See http://www.locogringo.com/research/ this is an overall directory for the coast but it does break out Akumal. For specific Akumal info go to http://www.locogringo.com/akumal/ You should find pretty much everything you need. Enjoy.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 07:07 AM

We traveled to Akumal/Tulum/Playa del Carmen/Cancun in May 2007 and had a FABULOUS time. Lots to see and do. Ruins in Tulum, snorkeling with turtles in Akumal, shopping and nightlife in PDC. We took a day trip to the ruins a couple of hours inland... totally recommend! Finally, don't miss "El Fagon" (sp) in PDC... we enjoyed a FABULOUS local meal of several different Mexican dishes and far too many beers to count for $16. A-MAZ-ING!
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 11:59 AM

Akumal is a quiet little enclave of condos and small hotels, with a handful of good restaurants and a few shops. I believe where you're staying is not directly on a swimable beach, but a very short walk from Akumal bay beach. Lots of snorkeling opportunities - Akumal bay beach, half Moon Bay, and Ya-kul lagoon. Our favorite place to eat is Buena Vida, which is right on the beach at Half moon bay, but there are several other good places. Across the highway from the 'resorty' Akumal is the Mexican pueblo of Akumal, which is fun to walk around. Hopefully you'll have a car so you can do day trips to Tulum to see the ruins, the beach and the town. if you want real Mexican food, go to Don Cafetos in downtown Tulum.
You can also scoot up to Playa del Carmen which is a real fun small city with lots of good eating and shopping opportunities. The ruins at Coba is another great day trip - about an hour from Akumal. You'll find plenty to do in the area.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and the info....and janenicole you are right....I did misspell Akumal and once I corrected the spelling I found several entries.
Thanks
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 06:38 AM

Glad it worked for you. Be sure to report back. Two weeks! Lucky you!