Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Two old farts need suggestions for places to stay in the Yucatan.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my situation; I want to take my Brother, who has a terminal illness, to the Yucatan for a week or so in mid November. We just want to relax, swing in a hammock, have people bring us too many alcoholic things, eat well, snorkel a bit, rent a car and explore, and talk about all of the good times we have had.

We are both in our 70s, so we don't have a lot of energy, and won't be doing much of a dent in the beach and party scenes, but we want to have a good a time as possible. My Brother is ill, but not infirm, so we will need no special handling.

I know Mexico, but have not been to Yucatan in something like 20 years, so I'm sure it has changed beyond recognition. I'm having trouble in recognizing the areas in which I should be looking for the kind of laid back place we would enjoy.

Any suggestions for moderate, non all inclusive places on the beach would be appreciated.

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 03:15 AM

I like Isla Mujeres and the Hotel Maria del Mar. www.cabanasdelmar.com The island isn't perfectly pristine, but the beach is stunning--white powder with turquoise water. And there are good restaurants and snorkeling. The fact that it's an island is fun.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 03:31 AM

I like Isla too, but not if you want to do some exploring. I'd opt instead for either the relatively built up, Playa del Carmen, or, Akumal.

You can still find a place on the beach at a reasonable price close to downtown Playa, and the restaurant choices are huge.

Lots of things to see within an hour or so drive.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 04:00 AM

There are two boards you could visit for lots of information on both Playa del Carmen, Akumal, and Tulum. They are:
www.playa.info
www.locogringo.com

Akumal is a bit more laid back than PDC but the range of restaurants in PDC is larger. As for places to stay I'm more familiar with PDC but there are quite a few folks with lots of info on Akumal also. You might also consider a bit further south on the beach road in Tulum.

In PDC, as far as hammocks and staying on the beach try looking at Shangri La Caribe and Las Palmas. Both are at the north end of town which is a bit quieter and both have beachfront cabanas.

You will see lots of changes in the past 20 years. I see lots of changes and I go about every 10 weeks. Akumal is still great for snorkeling. The ruins at Ek Balam are amazing. If you get to Puerto Morelos the ceviche and sopa de camarones at Las Pelicanos is wonderful and they have outside dining on the deck which overlooks the bay. One of my favorite places to sit and stare at the water. Lots of places to eat in PDC and a wide range of very good food.

Enjoy.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your prompt replies.

I have been exploring the sites you suggest, including Cozumel and all the way down to Tulum, but mostly I am seeing party type, or all inclusive HUGE places . We really would like a two bedroom palapa kind of small place right on the beach. We will not be doing the beach, or the young tourista, but like to look anyway.

Anyone know if such still exist? If so, please let me in on your secret.

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 02:07 PM

Tulum is known for the palapa (or cabana) on the beach type thing. It's also known for drugs and theft. I wouldn't consider it, personally. Do you ever go on the thorn tree forum? They get more of a "palapa on the beach" type traveler there. You might find it helpful to post on that site as well.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cimbrone. I think Tulum is a bit south for us, and the drugs and theft thing would really put us off. I am familiar with Thorn Tree, but I think we want something more luxurious than a "real" palapa on the beach.

I actually lived with a Mexican family in one of those, some 40 years ago, in Baja. Now, I think minimizing bugs and even air conditioning probably take precedence over roughing it.

Just hoping someone has stayed in a nice casita, they they might recommend. Actually, that would probably do us perfectly; a two bedroom casita/palapa, that does breakfast and has a restaurant nearby.

I'll keep looking.

Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
SnR

If you want a less expensive two bedroom right on the water, check out the listings for Akumal on Vacation Rentals By Owner (to get the url type in the first letters of each word and then dot com). There are all sorts of them for Half Moon Bay in Akumal with restaurants nearby.
Sally in Seattle
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Good tip,SNR. I'll get right on that one!

Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:40 AM

What about The Tides, or Maroma...?

Pampering, hammocks, exotic drinks, beach, nice pools, great food....
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM

I think I would recommend Akumel. I am by no means an expert but we were down there last year and did alot of exploring. We stayed at Al Cielo because we also dislike the large all inclusives but it isn't a two bedroom and more on the romantic side. Maroma was mentioned but it is very expensive and also more for couples.

Akumel seemed like it would an easy place to hang out in with a grocery store, restaurants, even a library all within walking distance of alot of the hotels. I think some of places were condo's that I am sure you could rent. I can't remember the name of places but maybe blue moon or luna azul rings a bell.

I hope this helps.