Reload this Page >

Mayan Riviera - El Dorado or Oasis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:48 PM
chris

has anyone stayed at the El Dorado Resort and Spa or the Oasis Akumal in the Mayan Riviera south of Playa Carmen? Any comments would be appreciated. What are the beaches like, accomodations, food? Is it easy to get to the Sian Ka'an Reserve?<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:02 AM
JMM

We recently returned from th Fiesta Grand in the Mayan Riviera (which I liked).<BR>It was about a 10 minute walk along the beach from the El Dorado. My husband checked out the El Dorado and was NOT impressed - he found it a little run down and said that the ocean was VERY rough there and the beach not great.<BR>Re: Oasis Akumal - I have not been there but have heard good things about the beach and snorkeling. <BR>Sorry I cannot tell you more.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:02 AM
leslie

chris;<BR><BR>just returned from the oasis akumal, last july that is. the beach and the snorkeling there were great! the resort was really nice too. the place is a 3 star, which it really is, but its laid back, not too noisy. we really liked it there. very swimmable beach. if you have any questions, just ask.<BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:07 AM
Ruth

<BR>Leslie:<BR><BR>How far is Akumal from Playa del Carmen? Many good hotels in Akumal ? Are both towns big enough for many restaurants, shopping? We like Cancun, LOVE Cozumel but would like to try another nice place in that area. We can't spend too much time at the beach so touring and shopping are our next big interests. Any suggestions? Thx.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:01 AM
leslie

ruth;<BR><BR>i have not been to playa del carmen but i hear there are alot of nice hotels and great shopping. now akumal is a very small town, not alot of accommodations there. shopping is very minimal. what makes akumal great is that it is very quiet with great beaches. akumal does have a small town on the beach, a couple of good restaurants and a few shops (which are really nice). playa del carmen i believe is about a 30 minute drive north of akumal. tulum is a great place to visit too and it is 30 minutes south of akumal. alot of people rent homes in and around akumal, that would be my recommendation. you will love playa del carmen and akumal and tulum.