Search

Looking for comments on an itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for comments on an itinerary

Hi,
I'm leaving for Costa Rica in a week, on November 19, for about 3 weeks. I'd like to know if my itinerary sounds good, if I should skip so places, etc. All comments welcome.

I was also wondering if going all the way to Puerto Jimenez was worth it if I don't sleep in Corcovado and just do day tours from Puerto Jimenez.

Thanks!

1 San José
2 San Gerardo de Rivas (coffee farm, Cloudbridge Reserve)
3 San Gerardo de Rivas
4 Uvita (beach and Marino Ballena park)
5 Uvita
6 Uvita
7 Transportation (bus) to Puerto Jimenez
8 Puerto Jimenez (guided tours in the park or around)
9 Puerto Jimenez
10 Bus to Orosi
11 Orosi (hikes, Lankaster botanical garden)
12 Orosi (volcano Irazu)
13 Monteverde (sky trek, Monteverde park)
14 Monteverde (Santa Elena park, Bosque Eterno Los Ninos night visit)
15 La Fortuna (hot springs, suspension bridges)
16 La Fortuna (volcano Arenal, catarata Fortuna)
17 Bus to Alajuela
18 Volcano Poas and Sarchi
19 Plane back home
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 05:33 AM

For Days 12 and 13:

12 Orosi (volcano Irazu)
13 Monteverde (sky trek, Monteverde park)

It sounds like on the afternoon of Day 12, you'll have to make your way back to San Jose and spend the night there in order to catch the 6:30 a.m. bus to Monteverde. That would get you up there about 11:30.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM

All excellent areas, no doubt. These things I would do differently, having been to all locations:

At least one more night at Puerto Jimenez.

Another day at Monteverde

Another day at Arenal

If you could let go of one location so to add to the others an extra day, I think you'd have a more enjoyable itinerary.

If you dropped Monteverde, you could get the extra time you need at the other 2 locations. If you dropped Orosi, same thing--another day at a couple of your locations.

It just seems like a LOT of moving around to me. You know your travel style better than anyone, though, and it's certainly do-able. We also tend to hop around a bit more than most people. I do think Puerto Jimenez to Orosi will be a VERY long day! I guess you'd take the bus to Buenos Aires, up through San Isidro, then Cartago, then down to Orosi? Right? Do you speak any Spanish? It REALLY helps when you are bussing it. Sounds like a lot of fun--enjoy!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice.
Is it worth going to San Gerardo de Rivas if I don't do to Chirripo?
And what are other good places to visit a coffee farm?
What tours have you done from Puerto Jimenez?
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:14 AM

No, probably not--unless you hike Chirripo, and how I'd love to do that! I'm afraid I've gotten too old, but aren't sure!

You could also go to San Gerardo de Dota in that same area for a couple of days of time in the cloud forest. One of our favorite hotels there is Savegre Mountain Lodge. Horseback riding, waterfall, trout fishing, birdwatching, etc.

If you were planning to hike Chirripo, wouldn't you need more than 2 nights in the Rivas area? Admittedly, I don't know much about the requirements for that undertaking. . .

In the Puerto Jimenez area, others will have to give you more ideas about what there is to do. I only know there is plenty besides Corcovado--animal sanctuary, dolphin watching, kayaking etc. Two nights basically gives a person one full day. It just seems to me that it would be nice to have 2 full days in each of your chosen locations.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I'll skip San Gerardo de Rivas (the person I'm going with doesn't have the energy to do Chirripo).
Does anyone know how to get from Uvita to Puerto Jimenez, and from Puerto Jimenez to Cartago (Schedules and lenght)? Thanks.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Length Uvita to Puerto Jimenez will be in the 2-3 hour range.

Puerto Jimenez to Cartago will be a long one. It will take most of the day--or a big chunk of it. On a bus, 8 hours or so. . .

We've done this in pieces, but never one long run. I've always heard it said that SJO to Puerto Jimenez is about 8 hours by car. So by bus, it will take longer. Cartago is about 30 minutes out of San Jose.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.
So the bus from Puerto Jimenez to San José doesn't stop to Cartago, right?
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Oh sure, it'll stop in Cartago. And several other places along the way! Some of the buses literally stop for everyone standing alone the road wanting a ride. Riding is quite an experience! Fun and interesting, though.

Please be aware that, if you stow luggage below, there is a high incidence of it being gone when you arrive at your final destination! We have made it our policy never to ride buses unless we can keep everything in a backpack and carry it on with us. Even then, I'd be careful stowing in the overhead compartment. Don't let your stuff out of your sight--and never get off the bus for a little rest stop while leaving your stuff on it!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the advice. I assumed it would have been alright to leave my stuff below in the bus. I hope I'll be able to keep my suitcase with me. And I'll be careful!
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Good then, I'm glad I mentioned it. You can assume absolutely nothing. Keep your stuff with you at all times, and you won't have any problems. I traveled on public bus quite a bit this past summer and it was a bit of a hassle to drag my big old backpack off with me at every stop, but you gotta do it.

Also, you won't be guaranteed the same seat when you get back on. It's usually first come, first served. You get off, you lose your seat, most likely, and may end up standing! I stood for a couple of 2 hours trips--yuck! Packed in the aisle like a sardine. Another time or two, I actually purchased a ticket for my bag and kept it in the seat next to me. This was when I was traveling with a sprained wrist and had a hard time managing the bag. . .

Just be very careful with your stuff, and all will go well!

Good luck!