CR Gurus...Tully/Shillmac/VolcanoGirl

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the places set to stay including Orquideas Inn at the beginning of my trip and again ending my trip (3 nights before flying back home). Any suggestions on what to do while hanging around there those last 3 nights??

I'm staying in Arenal for 3 nights and Monteverde for 3 nights.

Thanks a bunch!
Leigh
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Leigh, once you get there, check with their tour desk and decide what you'd like to do. There will be a lot of options, and you can see what sounds good to you.

I'd suggest time at La Paz Waterfall Garden, Poas Volcano, Doka Coffee Estate tour

Also Orosi Valley, Lankester Gardens, Volcan Irazu, Cachi Dam, old church at Ujarras (all one day's tour, I think).

Even a trip over to the Caribbean lowlands to Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui and La Selva Biological Station.

You'd also enjoy just staying closeby and touring some of the small colonial towns. Don't miss Grecia, Sarchi, Zarcero (my favorite) for the beautiful topiary gardens in front of the church.

Have fun!
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM
RAC

We're staying at the Orquideas for three nights at the start of our trip. Here's our rough itinerary:

Day 1: Arrive at SJO in a.m.; Zoo Ave, Sarchi, Grecia in p.m.

Day 2: Rafting on Rio Pacuare (Rios Tropicales will pick us up)

Day 3: Volcan Poas in a.m.; La Paz Waterfall Gardens in p.m.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Definitely hook up with Wady Tours aka Emotion Guarenteed, they will have great suggestions on how to fill up your time. All their employees are great but see if you can request Luis, he is so cool and so much fun.

Just to ditto the previous posters...a day trip to Poas, La paz would be fun, the church in Grecia and the central market I really like, Sarchi is great for souvenirs. Here is their website to give you some more ideas: http://www.emotionguaranteed.com/

When are you going, I forget....
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

I fly out on Dec. 9 returning Dec. 22.

Dec. 9 Orquidaes
Dec. 12 Arenal
Dec. 15 Monteverde
Dec. 18-22 back at Orquideas

I know that one of you suggested along time ago to visit Zoo Ave which I will do before leaving for Arenal but couldn't figure out what to do at the end of my trip back at the Orquideas Inn.

Ya'll have really given some terrific suggestions...I'm waiting on my weekender convertibe that I ordered from ebags.com, bought my first digital camera, gotta find those small binculars ya'll suggested.

Still haven't found a seamstress to shorten those bloomin' convertible pants. I may just tuck them under and stitch including the side zippers!! 8-)

Dec. the 9th will be here before you know it. Wish ya'll could come with me to hold my hand!!!

Thanks for all of your nifty ideas and suggestions on what to do and where to stay.

Regards,
Leigh

Old Nov 18th, 2007, 02:20 PM

I'm late chiming in, but definitely check out the La Paz Waterfall Gardens - that was one of the highlights of our trip - so pretty. If you want to do Poas, go early in the day to try to avoid the fog. In San Jose, you can check out the Gold Museum, Jade Museum, or National Theater.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

One more question...what is the best way to get to Arenal. If I take the Interbus, don't I have to ride into San Jose somewhere to be picked up?? Also, the bus goes to La Fortuna but how do I get to the Lost Iguana??
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 02:47 PM

Interbus offers door to door service, but unfortunately Orchideas isn't on their hotel list (Lost Iguana is). You can taxi to Garden Court Hotel near the airport and get picked up there, which is what many people do.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Hip...should I go ahead and rserve a spot on Interbus online now or am I safe to wait until I get to the Orquidaes Inn???
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM

I would reserve ahead of time. That way it's done and another thing you can cross off the list. Once you get to the Inberbus website and select your areas you will see the drop down menu of hotel names and pick up and drop off times.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

What about from Lost Iguana to Hotel Poco a Poco in Monteverde??? I know there is something about a jeep/boat/jeep...do I reserve this when I get to Lost Iguana???
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Good Grief..I can't seem to find a way to get picked up at the Garden Court Hotel to ride up to Arenal on the Interbus! Am I just directionally challenged here???

Old Nov 18th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Select 'Rio Segundo' as departure point, then select the Garden Court Hotel as your pick-up point.

For Arenal to Monteverde, select Fortuna to Monteverde then pick your hotels, runs $39. Good luck!
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Tully--I just e-mailed you. Forwarded a message I had gotten from K. earlier in Nov.--with photo.

Happy Thankgiving, everyone!
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Can you guys continue this conversation in a new thread with spaces betweeen the names? It's screwing up the webpage layout and driving me mad (and other, I imagine, based on my experiences on the Africa board).

Thanks!
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 04:58 PM

No worries. The website is a little confusing. Tully got you pointed in the right direction. If you do the jeep/boat/taxi thing, might as well book that in advance so you know what time you leave, etc. But Interbus may save you some money.