Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Itinerary help needed! 1st trip -- Thanks!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We are planning our 1st trip to CR in early January and are looking to visit beautiful places while staying a bit off the beaten path. This is our tentative plan:
Day 1 -- arrive San Jose; stay Finca Rosa Blanca
Days 2-3 -- Lapa Rios (Bosque Del Cabo is booked)
Days 4-5 -- Playa Nicuesa (near Golfito)
Day 6 -- drive/stay at Wilson Botanical Garden
Days 7-8 -- drive; stay in Uvita (Rancho Pacifico) (visit Ballena)
Day 9 -- drive back to San Jose area; visit Orosi Valley/Lankester Gardens on the way
Days 10-11 -- Monteverde
Days 12-13 -- Arenal
Day 14 -- fly home

Does this sound do-able? Any suggestions for places to stay in Monteverde/Arenal? What would you change? We would appreciate some help!

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:52 PM

How are you gettig around? Sounds like you're moving too much for my taste. For instance, I would either do Monteverde or Arenal not both. I have actually not done Monteverde because it takes a long time to get there and I haven't wanted to spend that much time in the car (i only went for a week the first time I went and this time only 6 days). I stayed in Los Lagos. Was nice rooms. Good view from the rooms at the top of the hill and if you have a car you can drive to their viewpoint whch has the best views of the volcano (if you're lucky and there are no clouds.. which wasn't true for us). We've booked into the Arenal Observatory this time because I want to try the hiking trials. The other two places I'd suggesting checking out is La Bosque de Paz and Selva Verde Lodge. If you search on my name you can see descriptions of them.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 08:23 PM

It sounds as if you will have a rental car? If so, where do you intend to leave it while you visit Playa Nicuesa? You cannot drive there.

I would choose either Lapa Rios or Playa Nicuesa, not both. Personally, I would choose Nicuesa. Much more unique actually, a far less visited. Quite a magical place!

But you don't need the car. Fly to Puerto Jimenez and the folks from Playa Nicuesa will meet you with their boat. I believe Lapa Rios will arrange transport from the airport as well.

I would then arrange a taxi for transportation from Golfito to Wilson Gardens. You could do this on-the-spot - no need to arrange it in advance, I don't think. The folks at Nicuesa or Lapa Rios might have a suggestion for transport as well. Ask.

Oh, an your itinerary is far too busy. You're going to spend almost all your time in a vehicle, watching the country go by out the window. Distances may appear short, but the "going" is slow. I wouldn't plan on ANY one-nighters.

Old Nov 12th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! We have made a few changes, as follows:

Days 1-2 -- San Jose
Day 3 -- fly to Golfito; Playa Nicuesa
Days 4-5 -- Playa Nicuesa
Day 6 -- Wilson Botanical Garden
Days 7-8 -- Uvita (Rancho Pacifico)
Day 9 -- ?? drive to San Jose or fly??
We want to see Orosi Valley and San Gerado De Dota, but is it worth the long drive?
Days 10-11 -- Monteverde
Days 12-13 -- Arenal

Does this make more sense? What is your advice about how best to get to Uvita from Wilson Botanical Garden and what to do from there (fly or drive)? Thanks for your input!
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 10:08 AM

We did this trip in reverse almost. Took the public bus to San Gerardo de Dota for 2 days. . .on the San Vito for 2 days (nights, I should say). We loved staying in San Vito and visited Wilson one of the days we were there. We hired a taxi to take us to Golfito where we took a lancha on over to Puerto Jimenez and Bosque del Cabo.

I think you could hire a taxi to take you to Wilson--not sure exactly how far that is and don't have my map with me right now, but maybe $50?

After Uvita, why don't you taxi to Quepos and fly back to SJO from there? If I were you, I'd skip Monteverde and head up to Arenal. San Gerardo de Dota is not Monteverde, but you'll see similar birds there (lots of quetzales if that is of interest to you). So if you could work that in, great. I just don't know how in the world you could do it!

Too many locations, not enough time. I wonder how the following would work for you?

I'd be tempted to skip Uvita as well. . .

Day 3--(why not Day 2??)Fly to Nicuesa
Day 6--Taxi to Wilson Botanical
Day 8--Taxi to San Gerardo de Dota
Day 10--Private transfer back to SJO.
Day 11--Day trip to Orosi--offered by all the SJO hotels and their tour companies.
Day 12---End up with Arenal.

See? Even then, you don't have enough time at Arenal and I've left out Uvita and Monteverde. . . .threw in San Gerardo because it is on the way, so seems obvious. Just thinking of options, because you really do have WAY too many places for too short a time. If you had 3 weeks, it would work out just fine. Good luck!

How is hotel availability early in Janurary? Do you already have reservations anyplace?

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:24 AM

as above, skip monteverde, pain in the ass to get to, nothing, worth seeing apart from the cloud forest and IMHO Cano Negro Reserve is a more rewarding experience.
sunset and aventuras in la fortuna are good tour operators it´s about USD50, for pick up and return to hotel, mid late afternoon including a `casado´lunch.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Here is my latest attempt. I haven't heard from Playa Nicuesa re availability; if that doesn't work out, I may have to start from scratch:

Day 1 -- San Jose (res. at Finca Rosa Blanca)
Days 2-5 -- Playa Nicuesa
Day 6 -- Wilson Bot. Garden
Days 7-8 -- Uvita (res. at Rancho Pacifico)
Day 9 -- Savegre or San Jose
Days 10-12 -- Arenal
Day 13 -- Arenal; then stay at Peace Lodge
Day 14 -- home

I'm now planning not to rent a car, and to do private transfers from place to place. Is this a saner itinerary? Any suggestions if Playa Nicuesa doesn't work out? Thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Savegre a wonderful choice. Try to get 2 nights there. Can you steal a night from Playa Nicuesa? I think it would be worth it to you. Still a lot of jumping around, but we travel like that frequently and always manage to enjoy ourselves.

A LONG time ago, someone posted about a resort that was up near the top of the Osa Peninsula, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it. Seems like it started with a "p". The person who posted recommended it highly. I'll try to research it a bit. In the meantime, perhaps someone else would know what I'm thinking of?