Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Place(s) to visit between San Jose and Arenal? and between Arenal and PV?

Old Aug 18th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're (2 adults, 8 year old boy) heading to Costa Rica in a couple of weeks. Our two major destinations are Arenal and Puerto Viejo/Punta Uva. We're renting a car and were originally thinking to visit Monteverde for a day or two before traveling to the Arenal area. I now think it's too long a trip to and from Monteverde and I'm not convinced it's worth it. But we'd like to visit at least one other destination, maybe spend our first night somewhere between the airport in Alajuela and Arenal. Any suggestions? I've heard/read both good and so-so things about the Los Angeles Cloud Forest. Is it worth a visit? Is the area worth an overnight stay? Or maybe Volcan Poas instead?

We are also looking to break up the long ride from La Fortuna to Puerto Viejo. We are considering stopping in either Puerto Viejo de Sarapiquí or Siquirres to do some rafting and spend a night. Any feedback or suggestions on the best rafting location and outfitters are appreciated!

thanks
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 03:46 AM

www.landsinlove.com nice place to break your journey up.

riostropicales.com best for your rafting

Happy Travels!
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 04:02 AM

Your son may enjoy staying at the Tree Houses hotel. It's not all that far out of Arenal, maybe a half hour or so. Their site http://treehouseshotelcostarica.com/ On the way to Puerto Viejo, I think Sarapiqui would add just too much extra travel time. Maybe instead look into the Turrialba area,a hotel like http://www.hotelcasaturire.com/en/index.php .
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 06:32 AM

It's a very easy drive from Arenal to PV de Sarapiqui, maybe 2 1/2 hours or so on good roads. Your son would love Selva Verde. Cabins are raised on stilts, lots of frogs, iguanas, birds - free tours morning and afternoon. Rafting and hiking options are available. www.selvaverde.com It's then just a quick drive down to the Limon highway to continue to Punta Uva.

I recommend the sloth rescue center at Cahuita - the baby sloths in the nursery are so sweet!

I think Turrialba would be out of the way. You would either go back to San Jose and through Cartago or down the Limon highway and turn off at Squirres. There are more activities and lodging options in the Sarapiqui region and easier access.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 06:32 AM

You could stay somewhere like Xandari your first night. It's about 20 minutes from the airport - really beautiful property with great views, trails to hike, and several small waterfalls on the property. They have cute animals there that your son might like; they had baby ducks, chickens, etc. when we were there. You could also go to the La Paz Waterfall Gardens or visit Poas like you mentioned, although Poas can get enshrouded in fog as the day goes on. The drive between SJO and Arenal isn't bad or all that long.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 08:34 PM

I know most travel agencies book a stay at Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Resort as a stop over en route to Arenal. I went there for my birthday this year and think it could be a great fit for an 8 year old (or honeymooners... good figure haha). They highly promoted the "bug tour" at night which an 8 year old would love, and in the morning you can wake up early to milk the hotel cow. I only stayed one night and did an early horseback ride before driving back to san jose in a rental car. We also missed Villa blanca and continued on halfway to Arenal by accident... it seemed to be only 45 minutes away in total... though it isn't the "main route" to Arenal, it is halfway there. I highly recommend the stop, especially since you will be missing Monteverde, hopefully you will enjoy similar weather conditions!
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your suggestions!
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 04:17 PM

You might also consider staying at the Toucan Rescue Ranch. It's near the La Paz Waterfall Gardens and they house all kinds of animals while attempting to rehabilitate them. Sloths, parrots, toucans, etc.

http://www.toucanrescueranch.com/