Life gets in the way .......

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, after all the research, & the worry, and the debating, etc ....... it turns out my trip to CA is going to have to be a lot shorter & simpler than I had hoped.
Just came from the dentist & found out I need a bridge replaced & a tooth pulled ...... gonna cost me big time!!
So, instead of like 3 wks we're cutting it down to maybe 10 days.
I found a lovely little guest house run by an expat in Puerto Viejo. It's very reasonable, and it seems there are many excursions we can take fr there. It has beach & rainforest, we can see the turtles nest, take a trip to one of the volcanoes, kayak down the river perhaps into Panama, etc.
And flying from NYC to San Jose isn't too difficult, plus the trip from there to Puerto Viejo isn't too long a ride or too expensive.
At this point, it seems to be the best compromise, and get the most of what we want to do w/in the confines of a smaller budget,
But I must admit -- I am soooooo disappointed. And if some money unexpectedly comes my way between now & then, the extended trip is back on!
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 05:38 PM

Dental insurance should cover most of that.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 05:49 AM

If you have it. If it's good coverage.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys, but no, I don't have dental insurance. I used to. Of course, when I did, I never really needed it. Typical, right?

Anyway, I have a ques:
Has anyone ever travelled on Spirit? They seem to be offering the cheapest flights to San Jose, Costa Rica. But the review on TripAdvisor says that their seats are tight & don't recline at all. I don't think I've ever been on a plane like that -- is this true? Is it really uncomfortable?
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 09:29 AM

Would you consider having your dental work done in Costa Rica? They have excellent dental providers, and you could save a lot of money.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 10:04 AM

I was thinking the same thing, Shooie. The plane tickets are the most expensive part of any trip, it can be super inexpensive to travel in most of these countries, and dental work is pretty common for US travelers, from what I understand.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

I don't know, that's kind of a scary thought .... I don't know anyone to recommend one there. Also, we aren't planning to go till May, and it needs to be done sooner.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 11:59 AM

A little Costa Rica is still better than no Costa Rica at all. Ten days is still a very nice trip. Hope you have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 01:05 PM

I agree with Volcano girl. Better than nothing at all. However, i myself definatly would not feel comfortable getting dental work done in centeral america. Plus the dentist i have here is the states is top notch!
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 01:36 PM

I know it's not what you were hoping for, but 10 days is a very respectable length of time for a trip. The ICT's (Costa Rica's Tourist Board) research shows that the average visitor spends eight days in Costa Rica on a trip, so you're still above the average.

When you're in Costa Rica, pick up a copy of The Tico Times, the weekly English-language newspaper. Lots of ads from dentists and plastic surgeons, the two fields that have boomed in medical tourism in recent years. Not that I'm suggesting you select any of them. It'll just give you an idea of how big the field has become.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 01:56 PM

I'm surprised by how many trip reports I've read where people say that they've had dental work done. I'd be scared to do it, but seems like a lot of people do it and are happy with the results.

lojo, with ten days I'd still do at least two locations - so many neat spots in CR.
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys. Yes, I'd be reluctant to get dental work in CR also, but I would if I knew someone who could refer me.
Actually, last yr when I was in Roatan, I met a couple that lived on the mainland Honduras, & she had a dental emergency there & had to find an oral surgeon immediately. She was terrified, but another expat referred her to one, & this woman said he was wonderful, and amazingly cheap. So, I guess there's much truth to it. As long as you can get a referral, I think it'd be ok.

Anyway, we're still vacillating about where to go & stay. We found an adorable guest house in PV, right near the beach but set back into the forest. However, it doesn't have ac. And I really don't know how hot it will be. For 1 or 2 nts, I guess it'd be ok, but for the whole vacation, I don't know .... the hubby is not good w/ extreme heat. I think if you live down there, you get somewhat used to it, but we'll be coming from NYC .....
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 01:06 PM

When I visited there was a woman staying at Pura Vida Hotel who regularly flies from Texas to Costa Rica for major dentistry.

Maybe you could ask Berni (expat British Californian) who they use.

www.puravidahotel.com
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks!
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 01:00 PM

I know someone who is a medical tourism "consultant" in Costa Rica. She is American; so you might be able to find someone like her to assist you if you are considering having dental work in Costa Rica.