Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Las Brisas Ixtapa - What's within walking distance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave for Ixtapa one week from today and can't wait. We're booked for 5 nights at Las Brisas, and this will be the first trip for either my wife or myself to Ixtapa. Had a question regarding the location of our hotel though....

From looking at the pretty limited maps I could find, and reading the posts on some travel boards, it definitely appears that Las Brisas is a little off the beaten path. Sounds like about 1/2 mile to get to the main street in Ixtapa, and a little farther to get to most of the bars and restaurants along this street. Is this something that can (or should) be walked? I don't mind walking the 1/2 mile or mile, but is it "walkable"? Don't really want to be climbing huge hills, or walking along streets with no room for pedestrians.

Also, any recommendations on the Ixtapa/Zihua area would be much appreciated (i.e. restaurants, bars, beaches, activities, golf, day-trip excusrions, etc).

Thanks in advance!

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:49 AM

You can walk from Las Brisas to the town of Ixtapa which isn't much. This area is notably beautiful beaches. The town to see is Zihua -- a quick taxi ride. Its big and dusty, quaint and old. Its a bustling town with lots of merchants and all kinds of shops. It will take more than two day-trips if you really want to explore Zihuatanejo. It is absolutely charming. Do the town itself one day, then go back and explore the beach area and shops and restaurants there the next day.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:00 PM

Agree. The "town" of Ixtapa is across the street from Las Brisas. You can walk easily from end to end on the strip and if you're ambitious, can walk down to the marina. The walking path and road is excellent.

Zihua rocks, it is a great little town, and it is a shortcab ride away. I always eat at Coconuts when I am in town.

Enjoy Las Brisas, it is a gorgeous hotel. Likely my very favorite in Mexico....
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:35 PM

Must disagree with turfgirl in the strongest terms, Coconuts is the most over priced café in all of Zihua for the quality. A great restaurant within walking distance of La Brisas is Casa del Selva (high end) a 1/4 of a mile from the entrance. Some good ones in Zihua are Casa Marina (joes), Daniels & the Arcadia all on the municipal beach in El Centro at moderate prices. As a long time visitor to Zihua/Ixtapa I avoid Aborlitas ( a place that the waiters offer to sell you drugs & La Perla on Playa La Ropa( a rude owner especially to Mexican customers), & also over priced for what you get IMO. A real Mexican treat is the "Ricomar" in Pozole alley (1/2 block of Benito Juarez between Nicolas Bravo & Juan Alverez. Dinner for under $3 USD. Have a great time. Las Brisas is a wonderful hotel if isolated. I actually will be "house sitting" a townhouse across the road from Casa del Selva the months of March & part of April. You can catch a bus for about 6 pesos to Zihua at the corner or a cab for about 50. It is a nice walk ( on a good sidewalk) to the main shopping area of Ixtapa & almost all down hill. A taxi back is about 25 pesos.
PS Go to www.zihuatanejo.net for great information & even maps!