Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Just a little update on some changes at Bosque del Cabo...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was curious about the new construction around the bar area and estimated completion and here's what I heard from Kim today.

They are expanding the bar into a lounge area that will have 3 big comfy sofas, coffee tables and raised appetizer area to make a more relaxing place for people to spend time, since it tends to get crowded between 5-7. For those of you who haven't been to BDC yet, currently there is bar stool seating around the bar counter and a very small table with a few bar stools, so at times it can be standing room only. This will be a great improvement and encourage more socializing! It will also be a great place to hang out during the day. After all, the bar does open after lunch. And, no, I'm not a lush!

Construction is usually slated July-November, except October is so rainy that it pretty much puts a halt to everything. She's estimating the above project may be done by October.

Right now, and addition to the pool is still a "maybe"...so we'll see how that progresses. So, any future visitors, please post back here to let us know!

Ok, this one is a big MAYBE, but it's possible at some point (no promises) a small pool will be going in at Casa Miramar, which I think is fantastic!

Even more exciting, an Ocelot was spotted the other day. And, recently around 5 sightings of a Puma, including one of a Puma with her cub. How awesome is that?!?!?! I will have to tell my daughter this when I get home...to remind her we will be in search for Puma again when we return next Spring!

Happy travels!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Hi HVC--just back in mi casa today! Whew--sorting through more stuff than you can imagine! Or perhaps you can!

I have photos of the construction--will try to get them available by the weekend.

Also will try to work on some kind of a follow up report. . .so nice you have March to look forward to--great time to be there--bugs nonexistent almost! It was hot, though. We used the pool a lot in March. I really relished those days in early July--my husband couldn't believe when I'd call him on the phone and speak of cool ocean breezes all day! It was so pleasant. . .I left the pool to the kids, didn't really need the cool down.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi shillmac -- So good to have you back!!! Looking forward to your pics and fillers in on what we missed in your "ongoing trip report" (which was a great way to keep up with you). What an amazing year you've had so far!

I posted some pics as well (not of construction), the link is near the bottom of my trip report. Yes, I will be looking forward to March, although I hope to go sometime when it's cooler as well. I fear that many animals will retreat into the jungle during those hotter months. Hopefully not!

Welcome home!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Wow, a puma and an ocelot? That is so cool - do you know where they were spotted, which trail?

Welcome home, Shillmac!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Thanks, VCG!

I had an e-mail from Kim also a BDC acquaintance of ours from California spotted one on the Titi Trail about 5 days after I had gone. He had left to spend a few days at Tiskit, then returned to BdC (added more days on, which we'd all like to do!). On one of his outings he spotted it. Usually is filming with a large video camera, but didn't have it with him--just a nice memory!

I spent quite a bit of time on the Titi Trail in hopes of seeing one, but never did. Probably best! You know, though, you always hope to at least "spot" from a little distance some really unusual activity.

One day as I was coming back to the hotel from about 4 hours on the Saino and Titi Trails combined, I met a couple of ladies out doing a little power walking up that hill. We stopped and visited a bit, then they told me they were going up toward the Titi Trail to see the puma. I began to sputter a bit and finally got the question out--"Did someone report a puma?"

"Yes!" one of them replied, "Phil said he saw one up there about 4 months ago!"

I got a little chuckle out of that.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Forgive the run-on sentence at the beginning of my last post. First sentence ends with "also"! My brain is speeding along a little faster than my fingers!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:49 PM

shillmac, you just made me laugh out loud! Those were some optimistic women! Looking forward to your trip report.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

LOL! Believe me, when I heard a Puma had been spotted on the Titi trail, that's where I headed too! Ha! As if it were a daily sighting!

vgirl -- The Ocelot was actually right on the main grounds! Apparently, Phillip was counting the frogs in the pond, as he does every night around 8:00pm, and he just looked over and there it was! Can you imagine?!?!?

To see that little Puma cub would just be amazing. Also, Kim said the other day she spotted an Armadillo near her office, and she said "she hardly ever sees those cute little guys".
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 08:10 PM

Wow, that's really cool. That would have been so exciting - and to think I was so thrilled to see the anteater!

Armadillos are a dime a dozen here in Texas, but sadly it's rare to see one alive since they're usually on the highways.

I did have my own wildlife sighting here in Houston this weekend; we had a bunny in our backyard - have no idea where it came from because we live in the city with a fully fenced yard, but there it was. I had a flashback to BdC because I ran to get my husband to show him my wildlife spotting! We also had an opossum recently - those are really funky looking.

I'm very glad they're expanding the bar area at BdC; we had to stand up, and it wasn't all that comfy.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Hi Shillmac, welcome back...am curious how you liked Villa Lapis? sounds like you've had a great trip and looking forward to reading about Panama, thinking of going next year, either direct or via a cruise, totally undecided as of now.

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Villa Lapas was nice. It definitely has its advantages. I'm not so sure I'd recommend it for those who aren't into birding, though. It's fairly basic, food decent, not much else to do right there on the property EXCEPT birding. Tell ya more later! Thanks for the nice welcome home! Hope all is well up there in NYC--hot, huh?!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Silly question but why does Philip count them? Just to make sure they're not declining? And which pond - the ones right by the driveway or back by the Tropical Garden? Can't believe one spotted so close!

vg - I always had a seat, you get to the bar really, really early (downside - you want to hit the sack at 7!)
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

tully - Regarding the pond, the way the e-mail read it was the one by the driveway. Good point though.

Also, you're freaking me out. I keep seeing you say not to combine MA with Osa. Now, I hear what you're saying and I understand. But on the other hand, I was thinking about heading Arenal for 3 nights, taking the early interbus to MA, spending 2 nights at La Posada Bungalows, right next to the park, close to beach, and taking mid-day flight from Quepos to PJ. Does that sound so bad? I think my daughter would enjoy the park and beaches there...don't you? We'd also do the mangrove tour. I've also been contemplating spending 3 nights at Cabinas Los Caletas in Drake Bay, because there's a swimmable beach and other stuff there. Would you recommend that over MA? (BDC's a for sure thing).

I'm getting off track here on this thread so I guess I better post elsewhere.

p.s. I always had a seat too!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Well, I could never get to the bar early because remember my husband would keep me out on the trails until it was dark, and then I'd have to run back to the cabin while we were being chased by bats.

The bar would have been much more fun!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Oh chased by bats, what....fun Actually my first night/time at BdC I kept wondering why all these birds were flying around so late.

hvc - didn't mean to freak you out! That's just me, everyone is different and I'm sure your daughter would love the park. Maybe it would've been better if I had done MA then BdC, but from BdC to MA was just a weird shock to my system. It's not that they are are incredibly different (I mean by trees, beaches, wildlife but of course MA is much more built up), I just kind of couldn't adjust very well to a similiar place but now surrounded by cars, buses, tv's, a/c, crowds, etc. Hope that makes some sort of sense. So, no, it's just my personal opinion, I;m sure many have done both and loved it.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 06:41 PM

Hi everyone.

Shillmac, welcome home! I'm really looking forward to hearing more about your adventures. I bet you have TONS of pictures!

Hipvirgochick,

The news of ocelot and puma sightings is so cool! It would be nerve-wracking to come upon a cat as large as a puma in the wild, but so amazing! I will be hoping against hope for such a sighting down there this December!

Here in Florida, we have the highly endangered Florida panther, but sightings are extremely rare. We have an abundance of armadillos here too, volcanogirl. I occasionally get one in my yard. I also once had a baby opossum take up residence in my garage! He was a really cute little bugger, but sure did bare its teeth at me when I got a little too close! I called the local wildlife hospital here, worried that the little guy had been orphaned, but when I described his general size to them, they said he was big enough to be self-sufficient. After a few days, he moved on, leaving a few bio-degradable "gifts" in the garage to remember him by!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 06:53 PM

What a great story! Reminds me of the time my husband thought he had a skunk trapped in our garage. Won't go into detail, but it was an interesting day. . .

Yes, tons of photos! Need to begin working with them--at least getting them into the computer! Thanks for the reminder!

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

shillmac - Ok, now I'm getting off on the wrong track, but I travelled from Seattle to Portland for a weekend stay once and when I opened the trunk, guess what I found? My boyfriend's cat! Oh joy She had a nice vacation the in the garage, they have a dog.

tully - Yeah, I kind of know what you mean. MA's just one of those place I kinda want to see. I could do more isolated/birding places, but I'm trying to balance it with what my daughter would most enjoy. Still working on the itinerary though.

cmerrell - Oh, you are so gonna love it in December! I know you are just aching with anticipation! I remember that feeling! I look forward to hearing about you adventures too. We have tons of opossom here. I hate to see any dead animal, but they're pretty frequent roadkill sightings here.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 05:13 PM

A skunk, shillmac! Now that would be interesting, indeed!

Terrific cat story, Hip!
I bet you were thrilled to discover her there in your trunk!

When I moved to Florida (from Utah) about 10 years ago, I brought my cat with me in the car. It was a long 4 day journey, so my mother accompanied me to help with the driving. We stayed in Tallahassee our last night on the road and couldn't find a hotel chain that we knew would accept pets. We ended up sneaking Buster into the room, figuring no one would ever be the wiser. We wrapped him in a blanket knowing his carrier would arouse suspicion, and tried to act casual ;-) . After we got him settled into the room, Mom and I went next door to grab a quick bite to eat. As we approached the hotel from the parking lot, something caught my eye up on the second floor. It was my cat, sitting on the window sill in our room, very clearly illuminated by the faint glow of the bedside lamp hitting the back of the curtains that so nicely framed him there in the window pane! I was terrified we would be speedily ejected from the hotel, but nobody blew the whistle on us! Gotta love those furry little feline and canine troublemakers...I mean 'angels' who share our lives with us!

Getting back to CR, the topic at hand , I bet your daughter really would enjoy MA. It is a more touristy place, but the park really is quite nice. That second beach is very inviting for taking a dip, and we had lots of great wildlife sightings.

I do understand the folks like volcanogirl who feel its a bit 'Americanized', and its true that the animals have lost some of their natural wariness of people, but I still really enjoyed the whole experience. We were helped by the fact that we traveled in early December before the main tourist season kicked into gear, so it was laid back and not crowded at all. Perhaps you should plan on MA before Bdc to avoid that 'culture shock' that tully described.

You are correct that I am 'aching' with anticipation for December! We've had BdC booked since April and it seems as if several aeons have passed since that time! All good things to those who wait, I suppose...
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 05:53 PM

hip, I thought you guys have been to Manuel Antonio. I think it's a great spot for kids - very easy to get around, etc. I did like it, but I just didn't LOVE it.

When we were in the park, there was a huge crowd of people gathered around this one little monkey. The monkeys don't seem afraid of people, so you can get quite close. It was just lying on this low limb, and there were tons of flashes going off, and the poor little monkey looked so sad, and then it just put its head down, and then it got tears in its eyes. It just made me feel so sorry for it. The beach inside the park there is really pretty though - probably the prettiest one I've seen in CR.