Bosque del Cabo & Iguana Lodge Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been home for a week now & I still can't get over what an AMAZING place Bosque del Cabo is. We're a family of 6 & I had hesitated at first trying to decide if we could afford BDC but it was worth every penny!

Our first night was in the Geodisc Dome at Orquideas Inn & I was glad to find out the Bananas Foster was just as good as I had remembered. We had a quick breakfast & off to the airport for our 8:30 flight to Puerto Jimenez. We flew Sansa & it was a great flight. We were met by Trino who drove us to BDC and stopped at the market along the way. I enjoyed the drive & the scent of Ylang Ylang. We rented Casa Miramar & were able to check in early. The house was beautiful!

We all loved the house & spent the rest of the afternoon on the deck & enjoying the pool. We took the early night tour with Philip & couldn't get over how many critters we were able to see. The thing that shocked me the most was seeing how many spiders are actually in the grass...when holding the flashlight close to your head they all sparkle like Christmas lights on the lawn. It was a fun tour & even my 12 year old daughter who is terrified of spiders enjoyed it.

Going to bed the first night took some getting used to. Once I was sure there were no unexpected visitors in the beds I just shut my eyes (& mouth) and hoped for the best. We were awoken at 4:30 by the howler monkeys which I loved. After a delicious breakfast we headed out for the Pacific Trail. I'm in pretty good shape but after those 400+ steps my legs felt like jell-0. We had the beach to ourselves & hiked to the waterfall. It was a great hike.

Awoke to the howlers again at 4:30 along with some rain. After breakfast we hiked the Creek Trail & crossed the suspension bridge. It rained in the afternoon & the family played card games. It was great to see that the kids can survive without video games, TV's & computers.

The next morning my oldest son & I went on the 6:30 bird walk & thought the guide was great. We really saw a lot of different birds and the lizard that walks on water.

Some of our most memorable moments were when my son & I realized there were 6 frogs swimming in our pool early in the evening. We thought it was the funniest thing until we woke up the next morning to find them all gone with just some bloody paw prints leading away from the pool.. something had a nice dinner. We had left our 15 year old alone in the house for a while & he had an unexpected visitor
(the housekeeper) while using the outdoor toilet. All the creatures must have known my oldest had just graduated with a degree in wildlife biology because they all visited his room; giant wandering spider, scorpion, coatamundi & who knows what else. The animals did manage to find the 1 box of cookies we forgot was in the suitcase...they know how to use a zipper. My daughter also had a giant grasshopper use her head as a jumping off point which was hysterical (& so was she).

Later that day we took the Mangrove & Sunset Kayak Tour which we all enjoyed. I was a little nervous about crocodiles but was told by the guide not to worry...we did see a small Caiman. We stopped to go swimming at a beautiful beach. It was pretty cloudy so there wasn't much of a sunset but still a fun tour. After the tour we headed to the Iguana Lodge.

We rented Villa Villa Kula & breathed a little sigh of relief when we saw screens on the windows. We loved BDC but it would be nice knowing most of the larger animals would not be visiting us that night. We enjoyed a great breakfast the next morning & spent the day on the beach. It was good to relax & get some sun. The next day just my son & I headed to the Animal Sanctuary. This was such a highlight of the trip. We took a 1/2 hour boat ride & were greeted by 2 Squirrel Monkeys & a few of the staff. We were able to hold and pet the monkeys along with some sloths. It was a fascinating place & so informative. We hated to leave. Later in the afternoon my daughter & I went for a 2 hour horseback ride. We raced down the beach which was so much fun & then walked back through the forest with grass up to our hips. There was no trail through the grass so I was a little concerned as to what might be on us when we finished but we survived.

We left the next day on Sansa at 12:30 and were at the Hilton Doubletree Cariari a short time later. Everyone appreciated the a/c & a little luxury after our week with all that nature. Here's a link to our photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/petite111706/CostaRica2009#

This was one of my top trips ever & I will definitely be going back. A lot of my choices are made based on your posts and recommendations so thanks to everyone who takes the time to provide such detailed information!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM

Loved reading your report, sounds like you had a perfect mix with BdC and Iguana. The frog/pool episode - wow. Poor critters.

Uh, as far as the large spider and scorpion, which room were they in? Please offer it to shillmac or hipvirgochick, lol. Can't wait to be woken up by the congos, do not want to be woken up by above though

Loved the pics, your kids look like they're having a blast. Oh the coati poop ha ha. Thanks for posting all your great pics.

Curious, at night, did you take the road up or the trail?
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:42 PM

Thanks for posting, Nancy. The photos were excellent. You captured lots of good moments, humans and insects alike!

I am thinking we need to put Tully in the room with the critters as she needs a little psychotherapy with desensitation (desensitization?). Someone I know she would thank all of us for helping her to overcome her fears!

Kula Kula looks neat. Not sure I even knew that was there.
So glad all of you had such a great time together. Poor Emma and that grasshopper. Both of my daughters would have been horrified. Son, on the other hand, used to walk around with a tarantula on his head. . . .

Thanks again!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:43 PM

Perhaps I meant "someDAY I know she would thank us all".

I think it's bedtime. . .
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 10:35 PM

I loved your trip report. I had no idea Casa Miramar was so open. We had screen on our cabin at BdC, and now I think I'm glad! You guys look like you had so much fun. Your kids are really funny - what an adventurous troop!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 10:41 PM

volcanogirl, what are you doing up so late?
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:14 AM

Sounds like your family had a super time - loved the photos, but your daughter might not appreciate all of us getting a good laugh out of the grasshopper experience and her photo!!

What a great trip, perfect blend of adventure for family time - thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:53 AM

Nice report/pictures, looks like you all had a great time! Brought back lots of nice memories!
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:58 AM

Jill, I fell asleep on the couch - lol.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 05:47 AM

Loved your report and photos! Made me long for BdC. Ha - when don't I long to be back there? Looks like you had such a good time! Can't wait to take our kids there, someday.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:31 AM

Looks like you all had a wonderful time, petite. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to get down to BdC later this month!
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Tully, We tried both the road & trail at night and I didn't find one any better than the other. I was alone at one point on the road & was convinced something was following me but every time I turned around with the flashlight, nothing was there. I'm sure my imagination was just working overtime!

My daughter has really been a good sport about the laughs we've had at her expense. We told her we would be giving her a spider, grasshopper and no vomit award for this trip so her brothers have been trying to come up with a good idea...

She has also realized that compared to those at BdC, the itsy bitsy spiders in her room are nothing to worry about anymore!
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 07:44 PM

Great report petite sounds like you had a wonderful time! I'm really glad to hear BDC lived up to your expectations! It's amazing what just might sneak up on you! I'll be at Casa Miramar near the end of this month along with tully and shillmac/shillmac's hubby...can't wait!

Might even have to get tully to share that Bananas Foster with me at Orquideas...yum!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:07 AM

hip you are going to find anything with bananas - I'm there. I even whined enough last time at Bosque so that Maureen made this awesome "deconstructed banana cream pie". I will whine again this coming trip too, lol.

petite thanks for the info on the trail vs road. I think if by myself at night I'd be more apt to take the road but I guess it doesn't matter during the day. I did climb up the trail last visit during the day and it seemed maybe a tad shorter. I know all about being convinced things are following me Your kids seem like such great sports. I was just telling shillmac that I'd always been nervous about the trip up to the waterfall off the Pacific trail, but that if your young daughter could do it then I can't be a wuss and have to do it too!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:27 AM

We're staying at Orquideas one night as well. I've already got the Bananas Foster on my agenda. Like minds. . . .
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:51 AM

mm-shill - What night are you staying at Orquideas? 1st or last or middle? The coconut shrimp I had there was delish as well. I hate to admit it, but I start thinking about food a lot about this time (just a couple more weeks)!

tully -- You'll see I'm that way with mangoes and avocados! Depending on the season, mango seems so much harder to find than papaya. I look forward to the whining for banana cream and coconut cream (whatever works)! Those are two of my fav's.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 01:29 PM

Thanks for posting the report. It's perfect because I'm trying to decide between the two lodges. Seems like the link to the photos doesen't work?