Journey's End - Ambergris Caye

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just decided to go to Belize in May (Memorial Day weekend). My travel agent suggested Journey's End on the north end of Ambergris Caye. Since this is short notice -many hotels are booked. Any input on Journey's End would be appreciated. Also, are there any great restaurants in that area? Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:22 AM

Many travel agents don't have a good grip on Belize and recommend the first place in Belize they've heard about. Journey's End is on North Ambergris, a water taxi ride from town. It's a fairly large (for Belize) resort of around 80 or 90 rooms. Unlike most resorts in Belize this one has absentee ownership. There are several good restaurants on North Ambergris, but the only one near Journey's End besides the hotel restaurant is Rendezvous, a Thai-French fusion place next door.

Journey's End isn't a bad place, but you can probably do better, and there should be plenty of availability in late May.

I would suggest looking at www.ambergriscaye.com to see what your choices are (most of the hotels on the island have Web ads on this site).

I'd recommend one of the small condotels such as Banana Beach, Xanadu, The Palms, Mayan Princess, Paradise Villas or Belizean Shores.

--Lan Sluder
<San Pedro Cool, the guidebook to Ambergris Caye>
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 08:05 AM

I would have to agree with Lan. When I was planning my trip to Belize this past March, I considered Journey's End, but Lan's previous advice made me shy away from staying there. I thought that it looked great on the website but figured that he is the expert.

We decided to stay at Belizean Shores because we wanted to be on the north end, which was great. Many restaurants within walking distance, including Tamarind (at Journey's End), Rendezvous (excellent), Senor Crocs (at Belizean Shores and much nicer than the name suggests), Pauly's Pizza (at Essene Way), Buena Vista (at Captain Morgan's), and Capricorn. There's a little mini market at Essene Way (I believe it's the ONLY one on the north end), so you can buy smaller grocery items.

We did visit Journey's End to check out the property, and were glad that we didn't stay there. It's a little too remote, and parts of it were really unkempt (particularly the lower-cost loding option that they advertise for large groups). It didn't seem like there was enough staff there for the number of guests. There wasn't even a bartender present at the swim-up pool bar.

Keep looking!
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 08:33 AM

Marci - Check out Victoria House. I was there about 3.5 years ago and it was amazing -
http://www.victoria-house.com/
We took a boat ride to a beautiful restaurant - I can't remember the name off the top of my head but will look tonight when I get home and respond tomorrow. You will love Belize -
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 08:51 AM

The restaurant dloech mentioned is probably Capricorn. It's on North Ambergris not too far from Belizean Shores. I've heard it's for sale (a prospective buyer contacted me) but it's still widely considered the best restaurant on the island.

Victoria House is a fine place -- I've stayed there a couple of times and try to visit it at least once a year -- though it's hard to beat the value and extra space you get from the suites places and condotels.

--Lan Sluder