Isla Mujeres

Old Nov 11th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isla Mujeres

Hi all! Thinking of a trip to Isla Mujeres for my husband and two other friends' 40th birthdays. We would be going in early March of next year for 3-4 nights. It would be a group of 8 adults traveling without our children. Looking in to Hotel Secreto, Villa Rolandi or Casa Suenos. Or another cool place? Price not necessarily an object, within reason. We love great food, great views and are just looking to relax at the pool and on the beach (also will probably snorkel and maybe rent a boat one day). Would love to be close to town restaurants and bars too. Any advice you can give on accommodations would be wonderful as none of us have been here before. Or is another place in Mexico a better choice? We want something special for this occasion! Would need to keep it on the East Coast/Caribbean. Thanks so much!
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 09:51 PM

My husband and I stayed at Villa Rolandi several year ago for 3 nights and it was fabulous! The food was incredible and the rooms all have great views. Make sure you ask for one on the third floor, they have a unique domed ceiling. The beach in front of the hotel was very small though and not great for swimming or taking long walks. Also, Villa Rolandi is far from town and not within walking distance. But the hotel itself is very beautiful and the service is top notch! They even pick you up from the airport and tranfer you to the hotel on their private yacht.

Last year we brought the kids and stayed at Ixchel Beach Hotel right on Playa Norte, which is the best beach on the island, within walking distance to town and all the great restaurants and shopping. The hotels on Playa Norte may not be what your're looking for, it's the busy area, but Ixchel has a penthouse unit that is truely spectacular.

Didn't stay at Secreto, but did walk by it, and it is a very small. It's around the corner from the Playa Norte beach and within walking distance to town.

I would recommend staying closer to town, Hildago Street has so many great little restaurants. It was fun to stroll down each evening and pick out a new place to eat. Isla is so much fun, let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 06:28 AM

Consider renting a house or condo. There are some really nice ones with private pools and all the amenities on Isla(try flipkey.com) that we rejected because they were too big. We do this all over Mexico so that we can shop with the locals, have as much coffee and liquor as we want whenever we want it, cook our own fish, and don't have to eat in a restaurant for every meal. We will be on the island about the same time as you. Stop in and say hello at Casa Flores.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 11:09 AM

I was just on Isla in May of this year again. This year I stayed the first 3 nights at Posada del Mar (probably more basic than you are looking for, although I was in the new building with quiet AC and small fridge). The last night I moved in with my friend who was staying at Villa Rolandi, and OMG, what a beautiful place. Had eaten there many times but never stayed there before, service is first rate.
Look on Living Socal, they have specials there 2-3 times a year, my friend got 60% off, free breakfast and transport and two mini-massages.
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 05:24 AM

Where ever we travel, my very strong preference is to be walking distance to downtown, or, at least, a selection of bars and restaurants.

I've read absolutely wonderful things about Villa Rolandi, but, wouldn't consider it because I don't want to be a cab ride from other restaurants.

Secreto is lovely, we stay at its cheaper 'sister' property next door, Playa de Media Luna. Not a swimmable beach, but, to us, more than offset by being able to fall asleep to the sound of crashing waves. A swimmable beach is a five minute walk away.
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 07:07 AM

We stayed at Hotel Secreto for three nights last year. Granted it was low season, but I was really disappointed in it. It was sort of rough around the edges and a little rundown (especially for the price). Maybe they've done some renovations, but I wouldn't recommend it. The location is great, though, and I would definitely stay next door at Playa Media Luna next door if I ever go back (or at Ixchel condos -- that looked really nice and right on Playa Norte).
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 07:48 AM

vrbo.com