Notices

Hotel el Velero/Playa Hermosa

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hotel el Velero/Playa Hermosa

Trying to put the finishing touches on our travle plans for November. After touring the Nicoya thought we'd finish up with a few days in Playa Hermosa before flying out of Liberia. I have the confirmation form for el Velero and I'm just about to fill it out. I have read comparisons btw this hotel and villa del Sueno and thought I'd made up my mind, then I read a very negative review of el Velero on another board - ugly wire fence around the beach and unfriendly staff. Any comments from past visitors would be great. I plan on posting my other question about the trip (rincon de la vieja) separetly right after I post this one. thanks in advance, Ruth in Maine.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stayed at El Velero last week and that was my second visit there. The staff is far from unfriendly; you will love them. El Velero is right on the beach while del Sueno is a bit of a walk. The rooms are basic but clean.
Try to get a first floor room. From the Second floor you catch the noise from Pescado Loco across the street at night.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure how much you want to spend and exactly what you are looking for. I stayed at Villa del Sueno last summer in one of their private villas and it was awesome. The people were the nicest and the food was incredible. It is owned by a group of European friends, a couple of chefs, at least one artist I believe. It isn't cheap by way of the other hotels in the area, and you have to walk about 8 to 10 minutes down the road to the beach, but it was well worth it. Our villa backed up to a courtyard with a pool and every morning the hummingbirds would be out and it was just so peaceful and beautiful. We had a rental car/truck and drove to Rincon as well. another great trip that I would highly recommend. any questions, send me an email, always glad to relive those memories. [email protected]
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks joeschmo, so the comment about the ugly wire fence around the beach at el Velero was also false??

ruth in maine
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ruth, there is a fence that separates el Velero from a private home next door but it is hardly noticeable because of all the trees and plants. There is NO wire on the beach; I'm not sure what that comment means. del Sueno is a lovely spot for dinner/drinks as is Ginger which is located on the other side of the main road. It's worth a walk to try one or both out for a very nice, altho more expensive dinner. A tip: If you decide to visit del Sueno, ask for directions via the beach. It's shorter and safer (no cars) than the main road. Just bring a flashlight. There are 2 great spots right on the beach for excellent cheap eats and drinks and Pescado Loco behind el Velero is good for bocas, cheap beer, sometimes loud music and fun w/the locals. Enjoy Hermosa before the Gringos really take it over!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, I am going to go ahead and book the rooms. Kids have a snow day today and it's been fun CR planning. Ruth in Maine.