insects

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
insects

I have no problem with sandfleas, noseeums, or mosquitoes. However, I'm not to keen on large bugs and spiders. But I don't want to let that keep me from going to a tropical country. Anyway, just so I can be prepared...will I see lots of large insects? Will they be in my room? What can I do to make sure they AREN'T in my room besides making sure the windows are closed before it gets dark.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Put a towel under your door at night.
Use the misquito netting if provided. Keep your suitcase zipped up at all times.
Shake out your shoes before putting them on.
Check under your covers before getting into bed.
Keep a can of Raid handy!

-That's about all I can suggest. I'm sure the bugs won't be as bad as you're expecting.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Hello,

The bugs are not as bas as you think...trust me. I think I would rather huge bugs than annoying sand fleas. Trust me, you will be okay...even with the windows open.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:22 AM

Where are you traveling to and when?
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

We are traveling toArenal, Manuel Antonio and Jaco Area (Villa Caletas)
All at the end of september and beginning of october
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

When I think about using the mosquitoe net on the bed, I can't help but think of that expedia commercial when they turn on the lights and there are a million and one disgustingly large insects clinging to the net. EW.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:40 AM

I read an article on another website that someone got stung on the face by a Scorpion in CR. They said it was waiting in the pillow- so you may want to check the pillowcases too.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 08:37 AM

While on a walking tour of the rain forest we came across a stream of black army ants and another stream of 'bullet' ants (larger black ants). Our guide warned us to be on the watch for bullet ants. He had been hospitalized for 3 days from one bite. Having said that..we never saw any in our room regardless the standard of the accommodations. Now we did have army ants parade through our room one day but they we gone in a few hours. Notwithstanding we requested another room. We also had one huge spider in our room at one locale. I had to call upon my wife to dispatch that sucker...I was up on the bed dancing like a prancing pony when I saw the size (3 inches across the back). No matter where we stayed in CR (or the Caribbean generally speaking) we always tear downt the sheets at night to make sure no surprizes await us. We also do as others suggest..check your pillow and leave your suitcase closed. On other suggestion...don't where lotion to bed....the sweetness attracks ants. The good news..don't sweat it...you will have a wonderful vacation in CR.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Yes, it's scary but true. Costa Rica has scorpions! I seen one in my room while in Tamarindo last Sunday...just be aware.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 10:48 AM

Hi Jinxie,

I think I posted a near identical question to yours while I was planning my trip to CR.

My biggest fear was to see a scorpion, followed closely by my fear of spiders.

I live in northern climes. Scorpions, here, are a cheezy rock band from the 70s or 80s. When I inquired with locals about the dangers of encountering these vile creatures, they all seemed very nonplussed by that prospect. The worst, I was told, was a sting would make my tongue swell and cause a sense of general unwellness for a few hours(!).

I thought that if I paid luxury prices, I could avoid these horrors. But, it was four days into my trip when I walked into my deluxe cabin (in fairness, I was in the rainforest) and there on my wall was a small scorpion (about two inches long).

I ran to get the manager, who was a woman of about 20, weighing in at 90 pounds. She laughed at me, but came to the cabin, removed the stinger from that sucker and then put it outside.

That night, my husband wanted to come home.

That, though, was the last scorpion we ever saw. When I related that story to some Texans we met along the way, they also laughed at me. Scorpions in Texas, it seems, are like squirrels in Canada--they're everywhere and you just can't avoid them. (Thankfully, they're NOT everywhere in CR. All this to say that many people don't blink twice at scorpions. You and I have been taken by anti-scorpion propaganda and bad horror movies!)

We also had a few large spiders in our cabin in the rainforest, but as scary as they looked, they only time they got near us was when we tried to knock them off the ceiling to kill them--and missed.

Throughout the rest of our travels (and we hit up Arenal, Manuel Antonio, Tambor, Alajuela and the mountains near San Pablo de Turrubares) we saw a lot of ants (some really big ones), cockroaches (some really big ones), and beetles (yup, some really big ones). We also encountered bats in our room and lizards. Bats don't want to suck your blood and both of these creatures actually eat insects, so they're not that bad to have around.

Plus, we also got to see some really interesting large insects like Walking Stick insects and katydids, which mimic leaves to hide from predators.

None of these things every actually bit or stung us, though.

I'm not telling you all of this to scare you off from Costa Rica. But, as a person who lives in an antiseptic, near bug-free environment, who is squeamish about the smallest of creatures, this is information I wish I had had before arriving so as to mentally prepare myself and my husband.

Yes, you'll have bugs, but yes, you'll have a spectacular time as well and see some of the most amazing sights and meet totally wonderful people as well.

Follow the suggestions you've been given and after that, just let go. There's nothing you can do about the insects and most of them can't do anything about you or to you.

Enjoy and have a wonderful trip.

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Hi all,

I recently got stung by a scorpion in Thailand. It was on my bed in the motel room and I sat on it when I put my shoes on. Unfortunately, when you are staying at a hotel in a jungle in ANY country, beware as they do make their way inside. I recommend that you pack Benadryl and take a dose immediately after getting stung by any creature. It reduces the pain and swelling. I was in pain for an entire day (it felt like a very bad bee sting), but by the next morning the pain and swelling was gone. Benadryl...put it on your packing list!!! Allison
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice. Fortunately, scorpions do not faze me. It's those flying winged suckers and cockroaches that make me squeal. I'll be sure my hubby checks the nooks though before I go to sleep!!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 01:48 PM

If it makes you feel any better, we have been to Costa Rica 8 times and we've never even seen a large cockroach or scorpion--and only a very few small spiders. We've stayed all over the place. It isn't a big deal. Doubt you'll see anything! It's a great place!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Once while sitting at that great restaurant for sunsets in Manuel Antonio (forgot the name) I spotted this huge, I mean HUGE spider on the wall. I'm ready to take a picture but I needed my husband to stand next to it so one could appreciate the critter's size. The wimp wouldn't do it. He offered to take the picture and let me stand there. No way. We couldn't get anybody to go near it. Well, I've got the picture but when I try to tell somebody the size of the spider, of course nobody believes me.
A great photo op....wasted.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:07 PM

What a fun thread! I love buggy horror stories! Here's mine:

I was in a very nice room in a fairly elegant hotel in the middle of San Jose. I pulled back the covers of my bed, and out flew some giant flapping thing that proceded to wing its way about the room, crashing into walls, slapping at the lights, and forcing me to huddle quivering in a corner madly searching for something I could use as a defensive weapon.

Finally, it settled down and landed on the back of a chair. It was the most gorgeous butterfly I have ever seen, almost a foot in length with its wings closed. I tiptoed over, carefully picked it up, walked to the door, opened it, and waved, "Bye, bye, beautiful!" as it flew out and over the patio and into the dark sky.

Do check your shoes in the morning, though, before putting them on. In fact, I don't leave mine on the floor. They go on the nightstand right next to my watch. (Easier to reach when an earthquake strikes, but that's another story ...)