Impressions of Santiago?

Jun 4th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Impressions of Santiago?

My wife and I enjoyed Buenos Aires in early May more than we had anticipated. Its a city hard to capture in a few words. Now we're considering Santiago in early November. What are your impressions of Santiago, and what comparisons or contrasts would you make with Buenos Aires? We're active senior citizens who enjoy walking and discovering in cities. (Other trip contender is Madrid/Sevilla. We know more about what we're getting into there, but comments vs. a Santiago trip are welcome.)
Jun 4th, 2007, 06:05 PM

We were dramatically surprised by how wonderful Santiago actually was last November: stayed at Hot Orly and loved Providencia - don't miss comida at the Mercado - the best CL Sea Bass (Robalo) ever!!
Flew MEX-EZE; SCL-MEX avoiding the visa taxes - spent 6 great nights in BsAs - would return for months in a heartbeat - flew to Iguazu for 3 super nights in a suite at Iguazu Grand - one too many - could have skipped Colonia, UR, Bariloche and Puerto Varas/Montt.
The Hacienda Los Lingues was our home away from home - amazing place.
Just got back from 3 weeks in Europe - began our journey in Barcelona (continued Celebrity Millennium to Marseilles; Villefranche; Rome; Mikonos; Kusi/Ephesus; Palermo) and Taormina/Ravello which we loved, but, BsAs and Santiago are way better!
M (SMdA, Gto., MX)
Jun 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Santiago is a bright and crowded city. You can walk around the central part and there is a good subway system. I took a ride to the end and there is a large shopping mall there. The town has a small museum, art galleries, a train museum, and a cable car ride a little distance away.

Valparaiso is a spawling coastal city an hour away by bus from the Santiago bus station. You can walk for hours there and you might come across the museum which is small but OK.

I liked the city and was there just before xmas (some years ago) with brilliant sunshine. Buenos Aires seemed lots of buildings and narrow streets between them. Santiago seemed more open.

Madrid has a few good museums and galleries. Seville a few sights but not a lot. Lots of walking in both places with not that much to see.
Jun 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM

It is good that you like walking because you can do a lot of it in Santiago.

You can walk to San Cristobal Hill to see panoramic views of Santiago and also the statue of the Virgin Mary on the top of the hill.

In downtown Santiago ,in the "old part" there is a place called Cerro Santa Lucia Park...nice building anf monuments abound here.

A one hour ride willtake you through the wine country via Casablanca Valley and on to Valpariaso, where the seat of government is. ( it is not in Santiago thanks to Pinochet!!)

From Valparaiso , it is a nice drive or ride along the seaside on to Vina del Mar and Con Con Beach.

Vin del Mar is the Chile version of Palm Springs ( wealthy place )

Percy

Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:38 AM

Hello parkhill24:

We spent a month in Bs. As. a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

My wife grew up there so we certainly had an advantage. Aside from visiting her old school friends [really old] we did a lot of walking, some good leather shopping and visted many tourist sites.

On the same trip we spent some time in Santiago. Also had a very good time. Here we used a local agent and had some excellent tours aranged for us.

The market was fascinating. We had some very good lunches there.

Our hotel in Santiago was the Neruda and from there we took subway, taxi and tours in addition to walking. The staff were very friendly. The hotel restaurant was not so good.

I would say that these two major cities both have lots to offer, are friendly to the tourist and easy to get around in.

We spent some time in Madrid, Seville, Toledo, Costa del Sol plus Portual on an earlier trip.

The choice of where to go is a very personal one. While I was glad to have gone to Spain and Portugal, I would choose Argentina first and Chile second then Portugal and Spain in that order if there were no other places to consider.

As I said, the choice of destinations is a very personal one and depends on what you like and do not like.

In Europe, I found that everywhere was overcrowded. Buenos Aires and Santiago are certainly crowded but the day trips from these places can be less severe and that influences me.

Have a good one.

Woodie
Jun 29th, 2007, 11:52 AM

parkhill, I'm interested in this topic as well as we just booked our flight and twelve nights at the Hotel Orly in Santiago. We will arrive on July 25.

We are seasoned travelers and go to Europe twice a year. We have also been to Argentina and loved BsAs. We are slow travelers, spending at least a week in one place and often two.

We are interested in day trips. Woodie, can you tell me how to contact local agents? We definitely want a day guide for Santiago early in our stay.

Thanks.
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Judi, the Hotel Orly can arrange day trips or more for you. Their standard is very good and competitively priced.
It has been very warm today but night temps are very cold and the warmth won't last long, I think. This has made the smog bad this winter. So do get out of the city on day trips while you are here.
Jun 29th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Thanks, Huentetu. I will check them out.

Perhaps July/August isn't the best time to be in Santiago but we will be in Paris in October/November. We are excited to be in Santiago no matter what the weather.

Aug 30th, 2007, 06:13 AM

I have lived in Buenos Aires twice for 2.5 years each time and am now visiting in Santiago, though I have been here many times in the past as well. I think I would say, if I had to compare cities (which I don't like to do) is that Buenos Aires had a more European flair to it, certainly more night life and architecturally/aesthetically it is more impressive. There is nothing like the Teatro Colon here in Santiago. That said, Santiago has the beautiful Andes in your sight. Right now I am looking out my window and the snow covered Andes are breathtaking. Here in Santiago, the seafood is amazing if you tire of the meat in Buenos Aires. There is a wide choice of restaurants, last night we ate Miraolas, a Basque restaurant filled with locals and had great oysters, congrio and corvina! The artesania in Chile is beautiful with wonderful weavings influenced by the Mapuchis. There are great craft markets, many more than I enjoyed in Buenos Aires actually. Don't miss the Los Dominios, a craft market with local artists practicing their crafts as you visit. The service in Chile is much better than Buenos Aires as well. If you have time, check out some of the seaside towns other than just Vina and Valparaiso. Have a wonderful time...