Huatulco..which beach to stay on?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not been to Huatulco in more than ten years. So have not seen it since the construction of all the hotels. We are looking for a great beach with calm water for February. Would love opinions on which beach would be best to say on..away from huge hotels, hopefully. Looking to spend under $150 a night if possible but want a cool place with some charm. Mainly want the good sea swimming...are any of the beaches calmer than the others? What would be the water conditions in February? Thanks!
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 06:32 PM

I was in Huatulco in Feb 2004. I stayed at the Camino Real - great beach. The room was oaky - the view was great, the bathroom was great but the room was a bit institutional - faded tropical bed sheets, mismatched furniture. The main restaurant was very good. When I do go back to Huatulco I would like to stay at the Quinta Real - a bit more intimate, located on the same bay as the Camino Real and fantastic restaurant.

http://www.quintareal.com/

Any questions - feel free to ask.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Are these on Tangolunda? Was the water calm? Thanks!!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 07:59 AM

yes - their both on Tangolunda. There were waves - not rough but nice gentle swells. The water was like smooth glass in one of the undeveloped bays I visited - sorry, can't remember the name. The water was warm near the surface but Pacific cool a few feet down - the water was clear green, not carribean blue. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:37 PM

In November we stayed at Villas Coral, a small, charming, remote hotel with fantastic views. Within a very short walking distance is a lovely beach with good snorkelling. It is not large, but is very calm and protected. There were more Mexicans than tourists there. The hotel was about $80 in a "suite" (fridge and microwave plus sitting area) and that included breakfast. The pool is really nice, but that view - Wow! Also, by now a new restaurant just up the hill should be open. It looked nice and also had magnificent views. You'll love Huatulco!