How rustic are the Amazon River lodges?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I signed up for an OAT tour of Real Affordable Peru with a pre-trip to the Peruvian Amazon River. The trip includes 4 nights in lodges on the Amazon River. Has anyone who has done this tour give me a better idea of what the lodges are like? I understand there are latrines "a short distance" from the bungalows. I'm going in mid-November and am trying to get an idea of what the lodges will be like. Also, what is the food like on this trip - and is it possible to get a beer in the evening?
Thanks for any assistance.
Martha
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 01:49 PM

I stated in a luxury lodge and even that was quite rustic. It had running water and electricity so qualified as a luxury lodge. The more rustic lodges don't have electricity or private baths. You will probably be able to get a beer. The lodge I stayed at had a full bar (Corto Maltes).
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM

HIya, could they not give you a list of the lodges ? Will you be sailing up the amazon or one of the side rivers ? The lodges I stayed at were both fairly basic, in one the room had wooden floors, ceiling and walls, and its own bathroom, the other had the same but only 3 walls, which allowed you to hear and see the forest 24hrs!! Good mosquito nets needed, but provided. Both had bars though so were able to get drinks. The tours are usually in the early morning and late afternoon so it's not so hot, meals are usually of the local fish, and vegetables, fruit etc. Usually pretty good considering the remoteness of some of the lodges. Have fun. regards
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Jed

I looked at the OAT site, and they did not say the names of the lodges.

In 1997, we stayed at 2 Amazon lodges, ACEER and Explorama lodge. I remember that at ACEER, the back of the small rooms was open, so that we simply threw our toothbrush water out through it. The walls went up partway, so that everything anyone did was public. We had several visitors, such as giant spiders. The showers, which we took 4 times a day, were about 100 yards away, with cold water from the Amazon. You could hear the screaming as people took their showers. The "latrines" were on the way. I don't remember Explorama, but if anything it was only slightly better.

For lunch we had beans and rice, and for supper we had rice and beans. Plus some chicken, meat, and fish. I don't remember if there was beer.

It was the most exhaustive experience we have ever had, and I always tell people that you have to be half-crazy to do it.

But our Peru trip was the best we have ever taken, and I look at the Amazon part as an amazing experience, and one that I would not have missed for anything.

Go for it!!!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. Not looking forward to giant spiders, but it should be a great experience.
Martha
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

I checked the information OAT sent me and it does list the lodges on the trip. We stay in the Exploramo Lodge the first night, then Exploronapo Lodge for 2 nights and the Ceiba Tops Lodge for 1 night.

Thanks to everyone who can give me more info on what to expect.
Martha
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Amy

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35029544

I stayed in the Explorama Lodges for the second time in June; I love them, but they are a tad rustic. The account is in the link above!