Brazil & The Amazon...Where to stay?

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 07:38 AM
The Dukes

Brazil & The Amazon...Where to stay?

If we go to Brazil for a week, where can we stay comfortably and take-in both an Amazon River tour, yet be close to a beach area?..Can this be done? How far apart are these two attractions logistically speaking? <BR> <BR>We're debating on whether to seek out the Amazon River and Brazil area or we may take an African photo safari...Can anyone out there enlighten us please??? THANKS

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 10:00 AM
lola

Everything's a plane ride away. You're about an hour from the Atlantic coastal cities to Manuas. If you go to Manuas definitely stay at a jungle lodge. Do not stay in the town. I'd go African safari if you like animals--not that many in the Amazon that you can easily spot.

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 01:10 PM
cb

We found a beach behind the Ariau Jungle Lodge, which is a boat-ride away from Manaus. There is an above-ground walkway that leads to the beach.

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 05:02 AM
Jill

You can check the Ariau Amazon Towers Hotel at <BR>http://www.AriauAmazonTowers.com <BR> <BR>It is considered the safest and best way to take in the Amazon. <BR>Have fun! jill

Old Nov 30th, 2007, 07:10 AM

the Amazing Lodge is a beautiful place to really get to know about the Amazon. It is very authentic and far, far from the city (about a two hour drive). My boyfriend and I chose this lodge especially for that reason.

We were really impressed by the scenery and the facilities. The reception/boutique is breathtaking and the restaurant area is also in a native-style building. The cabins are rustic, but clean and bug-free. There is no hot water and no air-conditionning. We never missed the a/c though as the jungle cools off quite a bit at night. There was also a small swimming pool, but you're much better off swimming in the warm waters of the nearby mineral lake.

We loved the lodge in and of itself, and were very impressed with the friendly staff. Unfortunately, we came in a down period and our guide was certainly not one of the best. He seemed burnt out and hardly spoke to us at all during our hike through the jungle. He spoke a little more during our day on the Amazon river, but it seemed more like a rote memorization rather than a true dialogue. I guess it's just the luck of the draw on the guides as they are all freelancers and rotate in and out of the different lodges in the area. But we still had a great time and saw a lot of wildlife. Our guide did not affect our opinion of the lodge itself.

The food quality was not as high as I would have expected based on what I had read here. Although there were some very delicious meals, such as the fresh pirana soup.

Overall, I would highly recommend this lodge for people who want to get a taste of the &quot;real&quot; Amazon. The Arrara package is a very good way to get to knowf both the rainforest and the Amazon river.

www.amazingtoursagency.com
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 06:23 PM

I agree that if you want animals you should go to Africa. Having been to both - I loved both, but mostly what we saw in Brazil for animals were either snakes or animals that kids brought over for us to see. We spent 4 nights in Rio on Copacabana Beach at the Orla Copacabana (very nice and reasonably priced). Then we flew to Manaus and spent one night at the Tropical Hotel (very nice) and then got on the Amazon Clipper (we were on the Dona Selly) riverboat for a 3 night cruise on the Rio Negro. That was a great way to see the Amazon jungle area and we had an absolutely fabulous time. I think you have to book the Amazon Clipper through a travel agent. We used Edson Alessi at www.fredson.com. He is from Rio and now owns a travel agency in Miami that specializes in South America. He was extremely helpful and got us a great deal on the whole package (I had researched everything ahead of time and knew what it would cost to book it myself). You can e-mail him at [email protected] and tell him Jenni sent you.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM

If you want to see a lot of animals, you may be better off heading to the Pantanal (the wetland region below the Amazon) instead of the Amazon. My DH &amp; I went there a few years ago b/c local stold us you see more wildlife there than the Amazon. But it also depends on the time of year you go. We were there in early Januray &amp; went on many eco-tours &amp; saw a wide variety of animals. The Amazon is far from the beach, but a 2 hour plane ride gets you there quick. I love Rio - esp. Ipanema - for me, it would be worth the flight!